Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Finding a cheap flight home: Planning your trip to Hargeisa

Okay, so I’ve dusted off my passport, and took those old suitcases out of storage, and after a long and abnormally harsh Canadian winter, I’m eagerly counting down the days until I bid “Au revori!” to Canada, and “Bonjour!” to the warm summer sun of Somaliland.

Yes, this summer like many of my compatriots living in the Diaspora, I am heading Hargeisa, and throughout my stay I plan on bring you stories, and sharing my experiences from the fatherland. I also want to hear from you! So, if there are any stories you would like me to cover while I am there, like restaurant reviews, the best healthcare clinics or schools, etc. leave comments, or e-mail me and let me know.

I thought for my first article, I would cover the slightly tedious but useful topic of actually planning your trip to Hargeisa. Anyone who has ever planned a trip to Hargeisa can tell you what a long, complicated and expensive process it is, and this year with the recession hitting all of our wallets, we’re all eager to get the most out of our hard earned cash. If only planning a trip to Hargeisa was as simple as tapping your feet together three times while repeating the words “There’s no place like home”, but like the commercial says, “If life were that easy you won’t need Master Card”. The plus side to all of this, however, is that because of recession, things like plane ticket prices should drop. I haven’t seen these price drops yet, but I’m still holding out hope.

As a seasoned traveller to Somaliland, I have picked up a few tricks over the years. Although, my experience has been limited to planning trips from Toronto, the lessons can be easily applied for other destinations.

There are few countries, like the Emirate, and Djibouti, that offer direct flights to Hargeisa, though the list of countries is growing every year. So, the first thing you’ll have to do is find a location you’d like to travel from. My personal favourite is Dubai, because it has the widest selection of planes that fly out to Hargeisa. Next hit sites like Expedia, and look for flights to Dubai. These sites serve as useful tools because they allow you to see which airline’s offers the cheapest tickets. Whatever you do though, don’t buy your tickets from these sites. Once you’ve found your cheap ticket, go directly to the airline company’s website and purchase from there. They will usually offer you the same ticket, usually at a cheaper price but with better conditions, such as more freedom to change return and departure dates, and ability to refund ticket if need be.

It’s best to start looking for tickets well in advance. The longer you wait, the more expensive ticket prices become and this usually means the difference between travelling in comfort and style on a high end airlines or travelling on a lower end airline company, that loses your luggage, and refuses to reimburse you.

For those of you, who prefer going to a travel agency to book your ticket, make sure to go to many different agencies, to ensure you are given the best price. Before purchasing your ticket ask the agent the conditions attached to the ticket. A lot of people get excited when their quoted a great price and purchase the ticket without knowing the terms attached. Ensure that you’re allowed to change departure and return dates if need be. Flights from North America to Dubai during the summer high season cost $1200-$1800, depending on the airlines, and how early you book your ticket.

Now that you have your ticket to Dubai, it’s time to get that ticket to Hargeisa. With Hargeisa now being a hot summer destination, many new airline companies have now opened to serve this popular location; however, many of these airlines only fly to Hargeisa on certain days, something you might want to consider before booking your flight to Dubai.

Now, for this article I actually went on Expedia and surprised to find that they did have Egal international Airport as a destination, however, when I tried to look up flights to there from Dubai, it won’t let me. So, it seems Expedia is not all that helpful, for this part of your planning. There are many other ways to book your flight to Hargeisa, such as going to a Somali travel agency, every large city has at least one, or many of the airline companies that fly to Hargeisa have a 1-800 number you can call, or you could try booking your flight while in Dubai. Flights from Dubai to Hargeisa during the summer high season cost between $500-$800, depending on the airlines and the date you choose to fly.

So, when we add up all costs, we get…..

Flight from Toronto to Dubai: $1600

Flight from Dubai to Hargeisa: $700

Returning home after many years away: Priceless….

By: Hayat Farah

Salma   

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Yes, this summer like many of my compatriots living in the Diaspora, I am heading Hargeisa, and throughout my stay I plan on bring you stories, and sharing my experiences from the fatherland. I also want to hear from you! So, if there are any stories you would like me to cover while I am there, like restaurant reviews, the best healthcare clinics or schools, etc. leave comments, or e-mail me and let me know.

By: Hayat Farah

Speaking of the restaurants reviews, is there any restaurants for Organic food there??

Another question, is there any safety measures and procedures against the Swine Flu in Egal Airport???

One more thing, I would love to take my little kitten "Joy" with me, do you think she will like the atmosphere there??, and for the healthcare I would really love to get a list of the veterinary clinics? If not available, I will certainly cancel the idea of going home, coz Joy has to ENJOY, otherwise I won't enjoy.

Merci

Back to the reality:

Why the rush to home in the Summer time?? I know ppl have work, study, families,,etc. But there are others who have the chance to schedule their flights on some other time during the year except for June, July and August... It is unbelievable to know that the flights are always full in these months... Does it feel good to be with huge crowds in the Airport?

Salma   

^^ It's like when you go to the Park only on weekends with your family to do grills just bcz its the weekend, but then u find the whole nation in the park doing the same :D

Have you ever went to the Park with your family in the mid of the week and enjoyed the peaceful moments and lovely gathering, it's totally different.

I think it will be great to go home in November or February.

N.O.R.F   

^The park is empty during the week but the kids can't go in the day time because they're at school. Weekends are better even though there will be alot people there.

I went in Jan once and didn't really enjoy it.

BOB   

Mr Jaceylbaro

As you well and truly know I am from Kismayo but I would love to visit Hargeisa sometime in the near future Insha Allah so would there be any problem? would I be made to feel like I’m definitely not ciyaalka xaafada or everyone will be jolly and laugh at my 'Wanlawein accent'? :D

I am seriously thinking of coming either before the end of this year or early next year Insha Allah and I am looking to start a business in Hargeisa marka I will be needing your help and I will contact you when I am ready Insha Allah.

Who knows I might finally lay to rest my obbssession with gabdhaha reer Borama…after seeing reer Hargeisa. smile.gif

Peace, Love & Unity.

I am seriously thinking of coming either before the end of this year or early next year Insha Allah and I am looking to start a business in Hargeisa marka I will be needing your help and I will contact you when I am ready Insha Allah.

I may come earlier bro, have to see for myself before committing to that city, though positive reports are amassing up to now (unconscious fears of "not fitting" there despite extensive famillial links and its proximity to djibouti).

As for making a living there, setting your own business or going freelance (retailing, teaching etc) is an alternative worth considering unlike the corrupt NGOs forwarding obscure agendas.

At any rate, living costs are still very low and who now and I'm looking forward to more Solers there...