Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

About the quality of Somalia Online Forum

AYOUB   

Question 1: Do all of us think of what we write when starting a topic or posting a reply?

No. Not all in here do that and you know it.

Question 2: If there were students that learn from the wisdom of the words we write (in SOL), do we think our words contain any useful information that can benefit them (student)?

I can only speak for myself and the answer is: I doubt it very much.

Question 3: About chitchats, do our words in regards to general talk contain anything beneficial to any reader that browses SOL, or does our chitchat serve any purpose?

Why I'm I starting to feel that this a back-handed reprimand? If you have something to say why don't you do what others do and start an argument? ;)

To answer your Q: I always try to make sure no-one can see the screen when I log in to SOL. There is no much benefit to the chitchat but, on the other hand, some 'serious' people need to let their down a little. Everything within reason but don't expect me to spend time with the pipe-smoking snobs in the intellectual's corner in the near future.

Btw , If heblaaye's got flu last night does it justify starting a topic and does all the SOL family need to know? If someone's is going to be busy for a while, do we really need a notice-topic started for it?

Question 4: When we start a topic what is our intention?

Usually its to share something i've read and find interesting.

Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

I've learned you can see characters even in individual who 'exist only' in cyber world. You can see the 'feminist' to the 'hypocrite' and 'wahabist'.

Seek popularity? I'm not popular and can't answer that. :(

Originally posted by Sullen_Sue:

What topic made you join SOL, and if it wasn't a topic what was it?

I don't remember but it was 1st of April:D

J11 what is aim of SOL?

Question 1: Do all of us think of what we write when starting a topic or posting a reply?

Answer #1)Ofcourse, there is definitely some thinking involved in my part, but mostly it comes out naturally.(Especially when I am responding to a thread someone posted, I do it by confronting the individual and speaking my mind freely, and if certain characters view that by being negative (meaning me), so be it, Becuz I am not here to care/change how pple view me, but more like make a difference, show the light at the end of the tunnel to those that need it, and believe me,there is a handful of you that fit into that category of the "blind man" with a keyboard)

Question 2: If there were students that learn from the wisdom of the words we write (in SOL), do we think our words contain any useful information that can benefit them (student)?

Answer #2) I haven't learned anything useful from SOL that I already didn't know, but I think that certain SOL members words can go along way to help out the youth around here.

Question 3: About chitchats, do our words in regards to general talk contain anything beneficial to any reader that browses SOL, or does our chitchat serve any purpose?

Answer #3)You have to be a little more specific as far as "General talk" is concerned...You mean, the entire forum or just the threads posted on the General section??? If you are talking in general, I think there is only 3.5% out of 100% that serves its purpose to the outside, but that percentage can always improve folks, believe that.

Question 4: When we start a topic what is our intention? Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

Answer #4) Personally, whenever I post a thread, it always serves its purpose. My intentions are always on the money with my threads. By that I mean, my topics are things that matter to me, things of importance to others that needs to be discussed, but its very rare that I post a thread nowadays, its still sends a strong and effective message.(thats how threads should be, you should have a plan whenever you are posting a topic, you have to weight the pro/cons, you have to think about how pple will perceive that topic, and most importantly, is it worth posting and filtering the forum, and taking all that space??

Your second part of question #4

When I read/respond to a thread, I am only after my honest opinion on the issue being discussed. I don't have any intention of learning from other's opinions but more like confronting their choice of words, and there are few people out there, they know who they are. (I'm watching you, Ima keep coming after you, whether you like it or not)

Paragon   

J11 what is aim of SOL?

The topic attempts to bring back SOL to how it use to be. The aim of SOL was to create a platform whereby best minds can exchange ideas. The desired result was to bring like-minded people together in a bid to enhance Education and success in communication between Somali students and professionals of all fields. As it stands SOL has gathered quite a number of students and professionals and insha-allaah its existance will serve as a great expressional tool that promotes better Somaliness and progress.

Sxb, is that enough? :D

Juxa   

sa wr wb,

J11, the questions that u asked, i actually took few days to think, and i feel ashamed to admit, that altho my intentions are good, sometimes i rather jump on da wagon.

yes i do think about, when iam posting a topic, no when i respond, sometimes i write first thing that comes to my head.

yes, i found this site very educational, i learned alot. mostly from topics related to ISlam, bt also from individuals for whom i respect and admire.

chitchats, i think can be both fun, entertaining and educational.

ameenah i agree, SOL aint hw it used to be. sometimes iam afraid of even opening my mouth cause of the attacks. its like walking on egshells. and i know for fact that many nomads, do not post, cause the quality is going down the drain.

macasalaama

Paragon   

^^^ smile.gif Sister, we are all in the same boat. But hopefully, Insha-allaah, we will rise to the Xadith: "Fal Ya Qul Qowllan Kheyran Ow LI Yasmut" , "Says wise words, but if not be quiet".

Thankx sis

Salaam all.

It was about time that someone dropped that question and i am happy that it did happen.

I am not going to respond to the questions posed by J11, but I am gonna say one thing, and that is, this place needs some sort of standard, and we, the users (young or old) need to uphold that or else it going to go down the same route as Somalinet forums.

We dont have to necessarily create threads of insult and vulgar language for this forum to turn into Somalinet-like, as it won't happen (thanks to the people who run the place), but if we dont think about our responses and threads we create, it will become worthless and boring.

I, for one, come to this place to share ideas and read others'. It is the best place to stay in touch with your folks all over the planet. I see it as a social meeting point. Final words, let's not ruin it, walaalayaal.

J11, thanks for bringing this up.

Of course one "thinks" whenever one puts pen to paper; one thinks, necessarily, as one writes words because language in and of itself implies "thought"; that is to say, all persons think however nonsensical their thoughts. Perhaps you meant to ask whether one thinks and writes in a "logically coherent" fashion.

I strive to pen, as far as possible, polemic pieces, which do not suffer of a lack of "logical strength". Most of SOL membership, however, are more often than not, "illogical" writers! And I am strongly convinced that that will change.

That what I write is nowise futile can be attested to by my writing. Most of the SOL Nomads, do not, I believe, knowingly or delibrately write "incognitve" posts; it is perhaps a lack of critical thinking skills that is the cause thereof. Unfortunately, the SOL fora of late has been permeated by a virulent pathogen. The conspicous symptoms of this virus are the pervasive posts that do not encompass any "comprehensible" thoughts much less educational or informative.

Forums are were made traditionally as conduits for educated discussions, that is the very rationale behind a forum. Social chit chat has no place in any forum; however, if members have the tendencey to engage in chit chat, then they ought to join chat rooms. Perhaps this site is a forum/ chat room.

Question 4: When we start a topic what is our intention? Are we after learning from others' opinions or just to seek popularity of some kind?

Seeking popularity of some kind say you? Please tell me that you are but jesting before I take your words literally. smile.gif Popularity and fame (not notoriety) often yeild benefits of some kind. An online forum would be a "unprofitable" venue for obtaining any "valubales". Still, I can imagine a despondent soul( being socially ostracized)who works diligently to attain fame in a virtual world.

I am not so much interested in learning from other members of this site as in seriously discussing matters of utmost significance. I have reached a point in my life that I will not change any of my beliefs (social theories, islamic beliefs, philosophical theories, etc.). After having read many a book (islamic and otherwise), I do not think I will change considerably any of my core beliefs . I guess I would like others to marry into all my ideolgoies as I believe they are true. Hopefully, I can teach the nomads how to think "in logic".

I have joined this forum after reading a seemingly intellectual piece on the Reality of life. What is real? The title of the thread, if I recall correctly, was "Dreams or Life which is the true reality". A classic thread of mere assertion and no argument. It went something like

Dreams are more real than life because I say so. Wait a minute. Dreams are the ultimate reality because you cant prove that they are not.

P.S. Posts have either an "educational" value or an "entertainment" value. The educational value should be given priority. I think the moderators and Admins would agree.

Paragon   

Warning: Anyone who posts irelevant comments on this topic shall bear in mind that his/her comments will be deleted at once.

AYOUB   

About the quality of Somalia Online Forum

My post has disappeared, I guess someone somewhere doesn't wan't the 'exchange of ideas' of that kind in SOL.

You all love it when compliments are posted in public but criticism must only be by PM, and thats very understandable. :D

The funny thing is, there was not a single thing that could have taken as criticism, I only asked questions - that were very much within the topic - not answering is one thing but deleting the whole post is quite another.

Finally, SOL ROCKS :D

Paragon   

Ayoub Sheikh

This is a questions and answers topic. If you wish to discuss other issues and post complaints, you can do that in suitable topics. Can you post your criticisms and suggestions in another topic?

Is it possible for you to answer these questions I have asked? If yes, good, if not please post your comments somwhere else. I hope my kind request is not a difficult one.

AYOUB   

Jamaal mate I did post a topic with a title "What is the aim of SOL", and guess what? it was deleted. I know "this is a questions and answers topic" thats why I asked those two relevant questions about SOL, if there was any criticism of SOL in the post you've deleted please remind me.

BTW I did answer the questions you posted.

Paragon   

^^^ I did not see any topic with the title "What is the aim of SOL". I know only of a question which I answered to the best of my knowledge. I also haven't seen any answers you have given to the questions I have asked. I have read an irelevant comment. At the begining of the topic I made a kind request asking of people not to veer the topic to somewhere else. Thats why some irelevant comments were deleted.

AYOUB   

I know only of Northerner's question which I answered to the best of my knowledge. I also haven't seen any answers you have given to the questions I have asked.

J11 bro you are confusing me with Northerner, its me who responded to your Qs. (2nd page 2nd post)

At the begining of the topic I made a kind request asking of people not to veer the topic to somewhere else. Thats why some irelevant comments were deleted.

I might have 'veered' the topic to somewhere which is not a comfort zone for someone in your position, but it I still insist the two questions were RELEVANT 100%. If you disagree please tell me what makes them irrelevant.

Originally posted by J11:

^^^ I did not see any topic with the title "What is the aim of SOL". I have read an irelevant comment.

The topic was similar to this one but the difference being the tables were turned and I was asking Qs about SOL from a user/members' pespective.

Paragon   

^^^^ Forgive me, I have made an honest mistake by confusing names. But still the question you have asked is a valid question and I have given you an answer to that. I am against going far into any comment that doesn't answer the questions I have asked.