Sign in to follow this  
Strawberry_Xu

Strangers or Parents?

Originally posted by DinkiWinki:

The point i was trying to make is don't just hate them because they want to talk to you. They are old and you should automatically give them more respect just for that. Who cares what they say??

People, they are generally away from their immediate family and they find it more difficult to intergrate into society.

It is not Somali culture that compels most of them to talk to you, it is Islam. They believe they can tell your piety from your appearance, because thats the way they were raised, (ofcourse you can tell a little...compare a half-naked woman to a modestly dressed one). The question is what gives them the right to lecture you? Now thats where the culture comes into play.

If it annoys you so much, the next time they come up to you just say your an Oromo, or better still an Indian...that will teach them :cool:

The thing is, I don't mind if they try to give me advice. In fact, this is one of the qualities I truly like about the Somali society, how people are willing to take the time to help you improve in some way.

It is when they get nasty and personal that I get irritated and offended. Especially when they comment on my looks, and especially when they are men I'm not related to. I think it's just indecent.

And generally, it's also not much to do with parental advice, but just plain nastiness. I hate it when people try to "improve" me when their own kids are running amok all over the place.

Originally posted by Action Jackson:

I believe (and its my personal opinion) that majors like film studies, social studies, philosophy, history, International Relations, Women Studies, Music, Arts and Information Systems are wothless majors... and yeah.. u read that right, Information Systems is as useless of a major as the those i mentioned.. I just dont understand why some ppl wake up to go to school for 4 years to study something they know they wont get a decent job with!!! most of my friends who majored in Information Systems are actually jobless or working on some $13/hour jobs!!! some even went back for a second major...

-------------------------------------------

I don't agree ACTION JACK..Always pray to God to give you a good well paying job you can fulfill with your dreams..

It is Allah who provides not the ECONOMIC CRISIS.. smile.gif

Sky   

It is Allah who provides not the ECONOMIC CRISIS..

couldnt agree with you more. but people twist trust in Allah and dependance in Allah. only you are responsible for the path you took, for Allah gave each and every individual choices.

I understand you want to study something you enjoy doing, but you have to consider the fact that one day you will have a family and will need to earn enough money to put your kids through college and secure their future which doesn't seem to be possible with a $5/h job. Now having said that you could still nurture your passion for Films Studies by taking it as a minor for some "in demand" major. in that way you wont waste your money and time and more importantly you wont regret not studying what you like.

They had a special report on "60 minutes" tv show 2 weeks ago about some Arts and Fashion graduates who ended up folding cloths at Gap while struggling to pay off their 40K student loans..!!!

don't agree ACTION JACK..Always pray to God to give you a good well paying job you can fulfill with your dreams..

It is Allah who provides not the ECONOMIC CRISIS..

u are right wealth and financial security is provided by Allah but that doesn't mean we shouldn't put any effort into acquiring wealth....

African Sky...

I am an Electrical Engineering student..

Posted by Dinky

It is not Somali culture that compels most of them to talk to you, it is Islam. They believe they can tell your piety from your appearance, because thats the way they were raised, (ofcourse you can tell a little...compare a half-naked woman to a modestly dressed one). The question is what gives them the right to lecture you? Now thats where the culture comes into play.

And why do you have to involve Islam into this?

Bess.   

AJ...it seems that ur dedicating ur life to emassing wealth....i wonder was electrical engineering that field u wanted or the one u enjoy the most.....or did u choose it cause u know it would lead to a lucrative career....it seems a little sad that u would subject urself to a life of self deprivation...cause u think only certain careers would be more successful than others....i think happiness and self satisfaction are more important than being wealthy ..although that is objective....any career has the same chance of being as successful as any other...and u shouldn't trivialize anybody's chosen field cause they don't fit in with ur ideals of what is successfull or not.....

I understand you want to study something you enjoy doing, but you have to consider the fact that one day you will have a family and will need to earn enough money to put your kids through college and secure their future which doesn't seem to be possible with a $5/h job. Now having said that you could still nurture your passion for Films Studies by taking it as a minor for some "in demand" major. in that way you wont waste your money and time and more importantly you wont regret not studying what you like.

They had a special report on "60 minutes" tv show 2 weeks ago about some Arts and Fashion graduates who ended up folding cloths at Gap while struggling to pay off their 40K student loans..!!!

You see, I don't just want to study film, but I also want to practice it. Otherwise I would have done what you've suggested. Also I don't just enjoy it, I love, what I do makes me happy. I'm just not made for the 9-5 world.

I agree a course like mine is not for everyone, but I have a good career plan and a back-up plan and Allah has given me enough intelligence and confidence, so at the moment I'm not too worried of ever finding a decent job should an emergency require it. It is all in His hands and I can only pray it turns out the way I want it.

But imagine if every film director/artist thought like you, we wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the arts, nobody would bother making films/songs/documentaries, instead we'd all be sitting in an office making money.

Insha-allah when the time comes for me to settle down and have kids, I will have either a (fairly) stable career or I would have abandoned my attempts to make films a while ago and still leave myself enough time to re-train, though I'd still want to work in the film industry in some technical capacity.

Luckily I didn't take out any loans (I don't really believe in borrowing) and I'm paying my own way through uni. Al-hamdulilah, at least I don't have to worry about that after I graduate. smile.gif

Bess.   

loans are the devil....and so unnecessary... there r so many scholarships and finicial aid out there..and XU...girl....u should do what u love and enjoy....and insha'allah u'll be Immensely successfull and more importanly happy and content... ;)

^^^ Well believe it or not I like Arts and loved to be an Artist since i was a little kid. but when i grew up i decided to become an engineer since i didn't think it will be a good idea to waste 4 years of my life and incur $40K of debt in studying Music, Arts, international relation or any other shitty majors that can be self taught with minimal effort.. So along with my engineering classes I took some Digital Arts classes at school as part of my electives which gave me enough skills to mess around Photoshop or Paintshop Pro when ever i get bored with my engineering job...

And I am not all about wealth, i just don't want to be riddled with a debt that i cant pay back when i graduate, or not be able to send my kids to college, or even have to have my wife work just so we could provide the basics to our kids.... So don't attack me for wanting to indulge my wife and kids in the decent living standards they deserve....

Bess.   

the message i got from post is that u settled....kudos to u for planning ahead...but taking digital classes is not the same as being an artist...and u attacked ppl first and u r still doing it by triviliazing certain majors u don't think that will be succesfull according to u....and why do u think they r easier than urs...and that they r a waste of time... :rolleyes: ....

..... or any other shitty majors that can be self taught with minimal effort..

Oh gosh, here I thought being a director required endless dedication and commitment, and the willingness to study and learn the grammar of film, and the kind of ceaseless motivation that would invoke the saintly patience needed to work on the tiny details before ever getting the chance to receive the satisfaction of seeing a finished product.

smile.gif

You see, you can't take out a loan and expect to get a job after doing something like Film Studies. It doesn't work like that, and the people who think otherwise will invariably end up in GAP folding clothes smile.gif However, if you have a healthy sense of realism and dedication and pure unadulterated passion, I don't see why anyone couldn't make a degree like this work.

I respect your dedication to your family though, and I hope your choice of career not only brings lots of money but lots of happiness and job satisfaction. :D

loans are the devil....and so unnecessary... there r so many scholarships and finicial aid out there..and XU...girl....u should do what u love and enjoy....and insha'allah u'll be Immensely successfull and more importanly happy and content...

Thank you smile.gif

You're right, loans are evil. But it's better than those high-interest loans you get from banks and for someone people it's necessary. I prefer to work long hours, than to worry myself senseless at night over spending money I don't have. I'm just not good with debts, that's why I refuse to get a credit card icon_razz.gif

I believe (and its my personal opinion) that majors like film studies, social studies, philosophy, history, International Relations, Women Studies, Music, Arts and Information Systems are wothless majors... and yeah.. u read that right, Information Systems is as useless of a major as the those i mentioned..

Asalaam Aleykum , AJ. I am here this morning again to give you love. Its valentines after all eh?. :D

Anyways, What do you suggest ppl to study?

Xu,

I happen to think Film Studies is a delicious subject to study. You have no idea how many times I wished I was doing something super creative like that instead of sitting thru a bone-crushingly boring economics lecture. Also, I think there are many careers that would suit such a degree (the film industry- domestic or international- is huge and still-growing, journalism, academia...etc), so don't listen to AJ, the snob.

I persuaded my youngest sister to take up an extra A-level in film studies, and whatdoyouknow she loves it (the only coursework she looks forward to doing). Hopefully, she'll take it up in Uni too I'A.

Back to the topic:

How nosy are Somalis? Its quite shocking sometimes...I often get nasty comments about my 'man-boots' (I'm partial to wearing an old scuffed pair of Doc Martens) from local women, but I just smile and mumble something about them keeping my feet warm. Mooing cows...what do they know about classic footwear? :rolleyes:

Diamante   

^^ and here is me thinking I was the only they got an issue with when it comes to my choice of footwear :rolleyes:

oh...when I think about all the times when I had a chance to do something painful with my stilleto's....

icon_razz.gif

Sky   

so don't listen to AJ, the snob.

hehehehehehehehe lord have mercy! so this dude is a snob for wanting to have a steady job and a stable life. than i am brooke of the bald and the bootyfull hehehe.

ok aj waa a snob. but take someone like me. i am going to do business and i will become filthy rich, yeah you got that right. my projectgroup under my management was the only group to get 80% for their business concept. am i a snob then or are you dying me to ask your hand? seriously.