Sign in to follow this  
Miriam1

Undermanned Turkey pulls off miracle win over Croatia

Miriam1   

Associated Press

VIENNA, Austria -- Rustu Recber saved a penalty shot from Mladen Petric on Friday to send Turkey into the European Championship semifinals with a 3-1 shootout win over Croatia after a 1-1 draw through extra time.

Arda Turan, Semih Senturk and Hamit Altintop scored for Turkey in the shootout. Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic also missed their shots for Croatia, while Darijo Srna scored the team's only penalty.

...continued http://euro08.sportsnet.tsn.ca/story/?id=254&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_euro

Forget the Celtics...this match was a proper heart attack waiting to happen!!

119 minutes of nothing and then BAMM Turkey wins..in the last 30 SECONDS

As I said earlier on the sports page...After 3 games of such performance...(last minute winning) I have concluded that the only rational explanation is that Turkey has an army of invisible soccer playing angels on their side..(power to us muslims) !

Can Turkey beat the Germans?

nuune   

Hayam, I can imagine how you are into footie and ur excitement about the great games of Euro 2008, but the game tonight was one of a hell, one to remember indeed.

Can the Turks beat the Germans, the two had long history, but sadly, I doubt, the germans will come out, only if another miracle, too many miracles don't happen all da time

LANDER   

:D

First the Czech Republic now Croatia, I cannot believe this Turkish team, I witnessed two of the most unlikely come backs ever, they are going crazy on Bloor St in Tdot as I write this. Congrats to the Turks.

Miriam1   

LOL Nuune I do sound a bit too excited don't I? Honestly I love football only on the international level so between nation-states. EuroCup, Summer Olympics, World Cup..etc

Oh and ofcourse any and all games played by TORONTO FC...hopefully will catch a game this summer at the BMO Field.

Miracles..happen, I thought they were so gonna loose today, after I saw the last match Croatia played, they were seriously good. My theory on invisible angels still stands!

Miriam1   

lool Lander too lucky why are you not joining in the celebrations!?

benefits of living in the city...the suburbs suck

Faheema.   

Originally posted by LANDER:

First the Czech Republic now Croatia, I cannot believe this Turkish team, I witnessed two of the most unlikely come backs ever, they are going crazy on Bloor St in Tdot as I write this. Congrats to the Turks.

Unbelievable, You have to give it up to the Turks, they truely have what it takes to win this. Croatia didn't think it will go to penalties hence the poor outcome of the shootout.

Originally posted by LANDER:

I was having dinner on spadina and bloor and I saw the celebrations escalate so fast - It started with 1-2 cars and it turned into a whole intersection clogged with 20 to 30 cars blowing horns. people were even standing on cars and getting into bystanders' faces =) if I had some guts I'd do something ****** like screaming "boo turkey!", I probably would've gotten mauled.

I'm happy for them though - let them act crazy =)

Waxaa ku nacay waa ultra-nationalists, waa Reer Turkiga, well most of them. Diin camal ayee nationalism u aamisanyihiin. Well, being nationalist is good, but waxooda is too much.

Jarmalka was and always my favourite team, the earliest memory I remember being the World Cup of 1986 and I had been a fan of them ever since. Roomaniga [Rummenigge], Matiyoos [Matthaus], Foolar [Voller], Berehme [brehme], Kalinsmaan [Klinsmann], Biirhoof [bierhoff] iyo kuwaan cusub. Not to mention their former exciting coach [and player] Bakinbaawar as Soomaalis used to call him.

Turkina now Islaanimo ula jiraa and being the underdog. Either kii raayo final imaado no problem ku qawaa.

Beri iyo beridambana Talyaaniga hala reebo iyo Holland as well.

MZanzi   

They face a huge task against Germany

Tuncay, Arda Turan and Emre Asik of Turkey were booked and will miss the semi-final. ...