Sign in to follow this  
Liqaye

Your favorite science fiction Book

Liqaye   

hey mine has to be DUNE the mother of all that is science fiction/I've been a fan of Dune for as long as I can remember. The first Dune book was written by Frank Herbert in 1965. This was a book series I avidly enjoyed while growing up, and its thoughts on enviromentalism and how long, small changes can make a big difference have always stuck with me.

This is definitely a book that gets better and better each time you read it. You can read it at age 12 and think it's a great story of a young boy growing up, how he grows and changes and matures as a result of all of the things he goes through. You can read it at 20 and think it's a great book about environmentalism - how changes to a planet and its ecosystem have wide-ranging effects that can be disastrous. And as you continue to read it, you catch all of the subtle nuances - the way people treat each other, how communication and trust can make and destroy lives, how desire for love, desire for power, desire for wealth, desire for knowledge, all shape humans.

Some people label this book as 'science fiction' - and it is in the sense that it occurs in a galaxy that has space travel, where technologies unknown to us are in use. But in a grander sense it is about human drama - how humans react to the situations they're in, how their passions drive them, how they think and feel and relate to each other.

Yes, there are terms to learn and ideas to understand. This is true whether you're reading a book about the aborigines of Australia or mountain climbing in the Himalayas. It's not something you need to obsess over, constantly checking glossaries. Like in any book, simply read the book from start to end and get absorbed into the culture. The terms will make sense, the personalities will reveal themselves.

Some have said the book has characters that are good or evil. I actually find that the MOVIES did this, but the books are extremely good at layering the many shades of grey. People always have motives for what they do and feel that their motives are perfectly justified. Some motives are compassionate, some motives are self serving. Very much like real life

:D:D:D :cool:

My favorite science fiction Books are

The Foundation and I Robot by the Russian-American sfi writer Isaac Asimov.

:D:D

Obs

I saw Dune a couple months ago , well it's not David Lynch's best movie ,but it was fairly entertaining

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fox has cast Will Smith to star in sci-fier "I, Robot," an adaptation of the 1940s Isaac Asimov short-story collection, reports Variety.

Shooting is to begin in April. Alex Proyas, whose last large-canvas projects were "Dark City" and "The Crow," will direct the film.

The original "I, Robot" contained nine short stories that Asimov wrote for various magazines throughout the 1940s, brought together thematically by the author's three laws of robotics. Those laws hold that a robot may not injure a human or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm; a robot must obey orders given to it by a human, except where it would conflict with the first law; and a robot must protect itself, as long as that protection doesn't violate either the first or second law.

The movie is a futuristic thriller in which a detective investigates a crime that might have been perpetrated by a robot, even though that seems an impossibility given those three prevailing rules.

"The big idea here is that if the robots have found a way to violate the laws, there is nothing to stop them from taking over, because the human race is so dependent on robots and automation," said 20th Century Fox film president Hutch Parker.

"Putting him in a film with a visualist like Proyas and one of the most indelible preawareness titles in science fiction makes this well worth the five or so years we've invested in the project," Parker added.

Jaabir   

my favorite Sci Fi book was an arabic series called Malaf Al mustaqbal.. i used to love them novels... i wonder if anyone in SOL read them!!

Originally posted by Darman:

my favorite Sci Fi book was an arabic series called Malaf Al mustaqbal.. i used to love them novels... i wonder if anyone in SOL read them!!

An arab sci-fi serie

Could you describe it for me ???