Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Van Damme VS Kamsing - Las Vegas (Oct 2010)

Chimera   

THAI OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST TO FIGHT MARTIAL ARTS STAR VAN DAMME

somluck_kamsing_jean-claude_van_damme.jp

Thailand’s Olympic featherweight boxing champion Somluck Kamsing will fight international martial arts star Claude Van Damme in a K1 MuayThai match in Las Vegas in March although there was another report out of Bangkok that said the showdown would be in October.

Thai media reported that the earlier story about a possible match between the 38-year-old Atlanta Olympic Games gold medalist and the 49-year-old Hollywood star has been confirmed after the two fighters signed a contract on December 29 in a Bangkok hotel.

The report said the match will use the muaythai format, although elbows will be disallowed at the request of Van Damme who is an actor and doesn’t want his face cut up or disfigured. Somluck will be paid just over $100,000 which does not include the income from broadcasting.

“I said I wasn’t lying,” said Somluck, referring to his earlier comments about the possibility of this match. The report from Bangkok said Somluck is well known for his tendency to exaggerate things.

The Olympic gold medalist said “I thought he was of much larger stature. But when we were standing next to each other, he wasn’t any bigger than me. So, I’m confident now. I’m better in muaythai techniques and I will have fun kicking the star. However, I won’t be careless and will keep training myself.”

Somluck is also hoping to be able to fight other international martial arts stars.

http://insidesports.ph/features/thai-olympic-gold-medalist-to-fight-martial-arts-star-van-damme/

That Dude's going to kill your azz, DON'T YA KNOW THAT?,

that dude's going to kill your azz DON'T YOU KNOW THAT!??!! - Joshua Eldrige

0.jpg

Wrong bet! - Van Damme

:D

Chimera   

Jean-Claude Van Damme to Fight Somluck Kamsing in 2010

jean-claude-van-damme-karate-tiger-alban

Jean-Claude Van Damme is bringing the fight into real life in 2010. Jean-Claude Van Damme has announced his intention to fight Somluck Kamsing, a Thai boxer who's competed in the Olympics. Like Van Damme, Somluck Kamsing is a martial artist who has branched into entertainment: aside from action films like Born to Fight (which is a must-see), Somluck Kamsing released a pop album.

Jean-Claude Van Damme, most recently seen in the career-resurrecting JCVD, is a lifelong competitive martial artist who has won karate and full-contact tournaments in the late 1970s and early 1980s, including scoring three knockouts in a single day.

http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/jean-claude-van-damme-fight-somluck-kamsing-2010-2564562.html

Chimera   

Fight Career

At the age of 12, Van Damme joined the Centre National De Karate (National Center of Karate) under the guidance of Claude Goetz in France. Van Damme trained for four years and he earned a spot in the Belgian Karate Team.

Jean-Claude made his debut in 1976, at the age of 16. Competing under his birth name of Jean Claude Van Varenberg, Jean-Claude was staggered by a round-house kick thrown by Toon Van Oostrum in Brussels, Belgium.[15] Van Damme was badly stunned, but came back to knockout Van Oostrum moments later.

In 1977, at the WAKO Open International in Belgium, Jean-Claude lost a decision to fellow team mate Patrick Teugels. The experience left an impact on Claude Goetz and he felt that Jean-Claude needed more training before competing again.

After six months of intense training and sparring, Master Goetz decided to unleash his prized pupil on the European Full-Contact scene. Jean-Claude won his first tournament by scoring three knockout victories in one evening. However, in a 1978 match for the Belgium lightweight title, he again lost a decision to Patrick Teugels. Once again, the loss left an impact on Claude Goetz and a few months later at Iseghem, Belgium, Van Damme came back and knocked out Emile Leibman in the first round. In 1979, Jean-Claude and the Belgium Team became European Team Champions.

Next, Jean-Claude faced Sherman Bergman, a kick-boxer from Florida (USA) with a long string of knockout victories. For the only time in his career, Jean-Claude was knocked to the canvas after absorbing a powerful left hook. However, Jean-Claude climbed off the canvas and with a perfectly timed ax-kick, knocked Bergman out cold in 59 seconds of the first round. Van Damme ended 1979 with a stoppage of Gilberto (Gil) Diaz in one round.

In 1980, Jean-Claude Van Damme defeated former Great Britain karate champion Michael J. Heming. Next, Van Damme scored a knockout over France's Georges Verlugels in two rounds. After these victories, Jean-Claude caught the attention of the European martial arts community. Professional Karate Magazine publisher and editor Mike Anders, and multiple European champion Geet Lemmens tabbed Jean-Claude Van Damme as an upcoming prospect. However, Jean-Claude's ambitions now focused in the direction of movie acting.

Van Damme ended his fight career at the Forest Nationals in Brussels. He knocked Patrick Teugels down and scored a first round technical knockout victory. Teugels suffered a nose injury and was unable to continue.

Following the victory, Van Damme retired from martial arts competition. His final fight record was 18–1, with all wins being knockouts and the loss being a decisions after two rounds.

Van Damme will make a return to fighting and is scheduled to fight former boxing Olympic gold-medalist Somluck Kamsing in October 2010, in Las Vegas or Macau. The winner of that match will face current world champion Jeffrey "The Squasher" Sun. At the prospect of being the first man over the age of 50 to fight professionally in Macau, Jean-Claude Van Damme stated that "it's kind of dangerous, but life is short."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Claude_Van_Damme#Fight_career

Chimera   

Van Damme quotes:

- You don't need a flash to photograph a rabbit that already has red eyes. ;)

-According to statistics, one person out of five is disturbed. If there are four people around you who seem normal, that's not good. - :D

- If you phone a psychic and she doesn't answer the phone before it rings, hang up. - LOOOOOL

- When I walk across my living room from my chimney to my window, it takes me ten seconds, but for a bird it takes one second, and for oxygen zero seconds! :P

- Obviously I've taken drugs. - LMAO!!

Wham, bam, thank you Van Damme! He's a crap actor, but I love his films (actually watched Hard Target on TV last week). Ain't he a bit too old to fight though?

Chimera   

Valenteenah.;702370 wrote:
Wham, bam, thank you Van Damme! He's a crap actor, but I love his films (actually watched
Hard Target
on TV last week).

Really, have you seen JCVD?

JCVD: Jean-Claude Van Damme Kicks His Own Azz!

To the uninitiated, a movie called
sounds as if it's about Jesus getting the clap. But action fans will recognize the acronym of kick-boxing action star Jean-Claude Van Damme — the former European middleweight karate champ who became known as the Muscles from Brussels for headlining such middling fare as
Universal Soldier
and
No Retreat, No Surrender
. (
)

That was in the '80s and early '90s. In the past decade, as his films have gone direct-to-video, Van Damme's career trajectory has been direct-to-commode. So he must have figured he had nothing to lose when Brussels-based director Mabrouk El Mechri offered Van Damme the chance to play himself, more or less, as a hapless has-been who gets enmeshed in a bank robbery. He was right:
JCVD
— which opens this weekend in New York City, and Nov. 14 in Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, San Jose and Washington, D.C. — is the best movie Van Damme ever made (granted, not the highest encomium), and a cogent, probing, funny critique on celebrity in its downalator phase.

Van Damme's athletic forte, kick-boxing, is like soccer in a boxing ring — except that instead of kicking a ball you kick someone in the balls. The opening scene of
JCVD
gives the star a showcase and a workout. Van Damme dodges bullets and bad guys; he gets singed by a blowtorch and whacked by an opening car door. In return he uses all the artillery and furniture around him — a machine gun, a revolver, a knife, a pole, a barrel, hand grenades and his fists and feet — to kill or disable a couple dozen ruffians. The cool gimmick: the whole three-minute scene is accomplished in one shot; no cuts, no stunt doubles. (This is apparently unusual for Van Damme. One director who had worked with him said to me that the star employed 12 guys to double him in the more draining action bits, "like walking across a room.")

It's all part of a movie Van Damme is shooting, but something goes wrong toward the end of the scene, and when he complains to the Asian director, he is contemptuously dismissed. (Van Damme was the first Western action star to work with the best Hong Kong directors: Corey Yuen for
No Retreat, No surrender
, John Woo for
Hard Target
, plus two films with Tsui Hark and three with Ringo Lam. Few of them enjoyed the experience; it was like a surcharge on their visas to Hollywood.) This time, however, he begs to do a retake, though it will exhaust his well-sculpted but battered 47-year-old body. The director will have none of this: "He still thinks he's making
Citizen Kane?
"

Our depleted hero has also been getting heat from a custody case back in L.A. At the hearing, his ex-wife's attorney accuses him of being a poster boy for mindless violence: "How does this actor play Death? Let me count the ways: mangled under the wheels of a truck, strangulation, fracturing the skull, taking out the tibula, laceration, crushed under the wheels of a car, death by strangulation, crushed ribs, fracturing the skull, gouging the eyes..." It's a catalog that would send mothers fleeing from him in horror, and Van Damme's dwindling army of fanboys rushing to video stores.

The
JCVD
script, by El Mechri and Frederic Benudis , brings Van Damme back to Brussels where cab drivers and video-store hounds still recognize him, but nothing else is going right. His agent's screwing him, the court case has gone against him, he's low on funds... and now, as he enters a bank to try to cash a check, he finds it's been commandeered in a heist. The cops on the street figure Van Damme must have cracked and gone to the dark side, while the robbers are only too happy both to exploit his fame and taunt him for being unable to overcome their guns with his kick-boxing. Even Van Damme's mom believes he's the perp, not the victim, of the hostage takeover.

In
Run, Lola, Run
fashion, the hostage scene is played three times with subtle, crucial variations, each replay revealing more of the mystery. The climax has a few different outcomes too. But El Mechri's interest is in playing with the "real" legend of a washed-up star. It seems pretty unsparing. With the star looking puffy and played out, and with so many references to his off-screen philandering and drug use, the movie bears comparison to Mickey Rourke's turn in
The Wrestler
, which like
JCVD
played the Toronto Film Festival, and which opens in the U.S. next month. (It happens that El Mechri's previous feature,
Virgil
, was also about a fighter on the skids.)
But
JCVD
is sharper, crueler, way funnier than
The Wrestler
. The movie is a vision of the wages of fame that's part parody, part exposé, part justification.

The clincher is an unbroken 6-1/2 min. take of Van Damme in close-up, as the star makes a confession of his personal and career sins. "What about drugs?" he asks. "Because of a woman — well, because of love — I tried something and I got hooked. ... I was wasted mentally and physically, to the point that I got out of it." At the end he gives his apologia and renders a harsh sentence: "It's not my fault if I was cut out to be a star. I asked for it. I asked for it, really believed in it, When you're 13 you believe in your dream. Well, it came true for me. But I still ask myself today what have I done on this earth?" Through his tears he shouts, "Nothing! I've done nothing!"

So Monsieur Macho ends up crying. It is the finest, most scab-pulling performance I've seen this year, and I'm not kidding. Van Damme has been known as a martial-arts legend, movie star and pain in the ***. But never an actor — until now. By the end of his confession he could be like Robert Downey, Jr., playing Jean-Claude Van Damme. Except that there's less bravado, more real pain, because the Muscles from Brussels looks as he's giving one hell of an emotional battering to himself. Except he's not, the director says in press notes. He's acting — in the greatest action-passion scene Jean-Claude Van Damme has ever pulled off.

TIME MAGAZINE - SHORT LIST

JCVD - His career and life on the skids, movie stud Jean-Claude Van Damme comes home to Brussels and gets tangled in a bank-heist drama. Director Mabrouk El Mechri weaves real and reel life into a dark meta-comedy.
As for the star, he deserves not a black belt but an Oscar.

---

Ain't he a bit too old to fight though?

He's 50-ish, but still training hard and is in better shape than most twenty year olds.

Chimera   

I don't think that would be fair sxb, from the age of 14 I attended Kickboxing classes, and if I had pursued this avenue as a career, I would be an A-Level class fighter or a European/Asian Champion like two of my friends. The fact that I weigh 80kg consisting of lean muscle, and you weighing probably around the 70-ish-kg, most of it blubber, means you are outclassed.

Also I don't trust you, you seem like the type that would hide an AK-47 somewhere in that Hargeisan cage your inviting me to.

Not for me, it isn't. Why pay 20 quid for a BluRay DVD when I can get a normal one for a quarter of that? Honestly. (Plus I haven't got myself a BluRay DVD Player yet, innit).

Chimera;702642 wrote:
I don't think that would be fair sxb, from the age of 14 I attended Kickboxing classes, and if I had pursued this avenue as a career, I would be an A-Level class fighter or a European/Asian Champion like two of my friends. The fact that I weigh 80kg consisting of lean muscle, and you weighing probably around the 70-ish-kg, most of it blubber, means you are outclassed.

Also I don't trust you, you seem like the type that would hide an AK-47 somewhere in that Hargeisan cage your inviting me to.

Look at the twinky!

a-level class is barely good enough. you remind me of the do-gooder kid from the karate kid, whoses training came from shining mr.miyagi's cars. warya, do you know what a real hustler does for living? he kills people! well that is figretively speaking!

Chimera   

^^Warya, we all know what your typical high school day looked like:

Ezo0J.gif

Marx getting smashed by his classmate Ivan from Bulgaria - LOL

Valenteenah.;702670 wrote:
Not for me, it isn't. Why pay 20 quid for a BluRay DVD when I can get a normal one for a quarter of that? Honestly. (Plus I haven't got myself a BluRay DVD Player yet, innit).

True, but mine came automatically with a PS3, otherwise I don't think I would have bought a BRplayer, despite my earlier post.