Sign in to follow this  
BiLaaL

Museum of Islamic Art - Doha

BiLaaL   

I recently had the pleasure of visiting the Museum of Islamic Art in Doha, Qatar. The collection covers three continents with a time-line of over a millenium. The collection includes some of the earliest pages of the Qur'an to survive and other magnificently illustrated manuscripts. The Museum sits in a beautifully designed building along the Doha coast.

If you happen to visit Doha, be sure to check it out.

MIA

Why is islamic art always looking at the past?

Sure it was great, but I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful artists who are inspired by the Quran in the present world.

I think it's really weird to have a museum for "islamic art" if you don't include anything from the modern world.

Blessed   

^I don't think Islamic art always looks at the past, not any more anyway. It is an area still in infancy as some how along the way the view of art was changed dramatically but we're starting to respect it as part of our heritage once again..

A museum is primarily concerned with vintage art and artefacts but most run temporary exhibitions of contemporary / traditional art. Then you have art galleries and exhibitions in other places. Though I think Arabs primary concern themselves with Arab artists and ME art- you do get the odd Islamic art exhibition.

I got to see Peter Saunders Art of Integration exhibition in Malaysia Islamic Museum last year. It was amazing to see and exhibition about my people (British Muslims) in such a far away land.

Originally posted by Blessed.*:

A museum is primarily concerned with vintage art and artefacts but most run temporary exhibitions of contemporary / traditional art. Then you have art galleries and exhibitions in other places. Though I think Arabs primary concern themselves with Arab artists and ME art- you do get the odd Islamic art exhibition.

The difference between an art gallery and an art museum is that the former is own by an individual(s) (and thus dictated by individual's taste and the depth of their pocket) whilst a museum is usually government-run and includes more generally appreciated/known pieces.

Originally posted by Blessed.*:

I got to see Peter Saunders Art of Integration exhibition in Malaysia Islamic Museum last year. It was amazing to see and exhibition about my people (British Muslims) in such a far away land.

He's brilliant mA.

I like sculptures. Do you know Wajih Nahle? He's a Lebanese artist, I love his sculptures and decorative art. www.wajihnahle.com

We have been blessed with aesthetic sense, an appreciation of beauty. We should use it. I know Somalis don't care about art much, but I think that's due to ignorance; all beauty is divinely inspired and at its best is a celebration of life and worship of God.

* I wrote a long & fancy reply but the internet connection left and I really can't be bothered to do it again :(