Sign in to follow this  
fartun

what's like?

fartun   

hey people i want to know what's like to be in somalia, coz i have never been there in my life, i was born in yemen then found my self in USA. so me and my husband we decided to go to somali next summer inshallah to expreince my own heritage and to see whats like to live in somalia,coz my husband he is yemenese, and also i have heard many stories from my grandparents. dough it makes it hard to have one somali grandparents and one Yemenese, and the funny thing is that i prety much adopted both cultures, specially the language the traditions, etc. any way let me know were is the best place to visit, and what to expect from there since i have never been there and inshalalh is something that am looking forward to it.. to be able to see were my dad is from, and tell stories and to share that expreince with my future children inshalalh. so please yo all let me know wazz up.

Ms DD   

Cynical lady, salaam sister

When i read your post above, the speech Malcolm X made once came to mind:

“They projected Africa always in a negative light: jungles, savages, cannibals, nothing civilized. Why then naturally it was so negative [that] it was negative to you and me, and you and I began to hate it. We didn’t want anybody telling us anything about Africa, much less calling us Africans. In hating Africa and in hating the Africans, we ended up hating ourselves, without even realizing it. Because you can’t hate the roots of a tree and not hate the tree. You can’t hate your origin and not end up hating yourself. You can’t hate Africa and not hate yourself.

You show me one of these people over here who have been thoroughly brainwashed, who has a negative attitude toward Africa, and I’ll show you one that has a negative attitude toward himself. You can’t have a positive attitude toward yourself and a negative attitude toward Africa at the same time. To the same degree that your understanding of and attitude toward Africa becomes positive, you’ll find that your understanding of and your attitude toward yourself will also become positive. And this is what the white man knows. So they very skillfully made you and me hate our African identity, our African characteristics.

You know yourself — and we have been a people who hated our African characteristics. We hated our hair, we hated the shape of our nose — we wanted one of those long, dog-like noses, you know. Yeah. We hated the color of our skin, hated the blood of Africa that was in our veins. And in hating our features and our skin and our blood, why, we had to end up hating ourselves.”

N.O.R.F   

Fartun

It will be an eyeopener, the best thing to do is not to expect anything (good time/bad time). Just go with the flow and try to enjoy yourself as best you can. Plan your time there as being tsuck in one place will be of no benefit. Take trip to other cities, towns iyo miyiga. Leave with a full bag of clothes you no longer require and give to those back home. They will appreciate it.

Miriam1   

You will enjoy urself if you have no expectations when you get there. And the advice above about the clothes is verrry good. My family did the same thing, and it was really helpful..my anuts had a collections of diracs from when in the 80's which they never wore, so giving it away was nothing.

Also I am not sure if you are staying with family or in a hotel.If your staying with family, expect alot of people to come and forth right ask you for some money for this or that, so have some cash prepared for that. Oh and its a good idea to have a car on hand with a driver that knows the part of the country ur travelling to. Take people's opinion about where to go.

My best recomendation. Go to berbera and spend some time there, the beaches are just so beautiful.

Oh and if your in hergaisa and you get bored, not sure how long you plan on staying, go to the Gandhi Public Library, they have some good novels you can borrow and if you have some books sittng around at home, take them along and donate them!!

Have fun and enjoy urself

Ms DD   

Salaam Northern and Hayam

My family actually did the same 2 weeks ago. Now i am taking 3 bags of clothes with me.

I'd like go to Hargeisa and Mogadishu. But not sure about Mogadishu now as i dont want to be stuck there if war happens.

This is one trip i am looking forward to very much. I left Somalia back in 1990. Everyone who has been back there comes back with plans and praises for the place.

N.O.R.F   

Cambarro, enjoy your trip and take all the precautions (its mosquito season). Make sure you know the standard rate to pay at the airport ($50 i think). Where will you be going?

Ms DD   

Northener

I am going to Boosaaso. You know a lot of people have told me about Xaafuun. I am dying to see what it looks like. I just dont want to stay in area though. I want to see as much as possible. I wish there was a guide smile.gif . Now there is an idea for a business.

Cynical, Change Africa to Somalia ad it will apply. You cant call Somalis in Somalia savages. Have you been there? They are already suffering as it is and to call them savages by people who have safety and security with roof over their heads and plenty of food is ludicurous.

N.O.R.F   

^^Malaria, Menanjites (spelling) etc. Not sure what else. Contact GP.

Daallo will be an interesting flight :D (dont eat too much before hand)

Fartun....Just one caution, there is alot Islamicphobia here in da west, and anyone (specially Arabs) heading to Somalia could be considered a Jihadist.

Cambarro...Cynic noceeda mangaab waaye ha isku daalin.

Shakti   

my advise... take alot of pics on ur digital cam and post it here.

Ps. Cynical, that was a great advise.. take a self defense classes..

Miriam1   

Hey Cambaro..I was in dubai before going to hergaisa and I am glad I didnt get any medication from toronto, the prices were beyond expensive.

If your thinking of stopping in Dubai to fly out from there, just get them from there, malaria medication is over the counter and anything else you can imagine.

In regards to which air carrier to take African Express or Daallo.We took african express and it was funny experience to say the least and the drive from berbera to hergaisa was just too much...so Daallo is a better bet, just for the fact that it lands in the capital city.

heh enjoy urselves

If you don't live in the city core you won't hve much problems with mosqiutes,