Sign in to follow this  
2real

Any one been to Somalia or Somaliland recently?

BN   

2real,

I don't think post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is BS. I have heard of reports of PTSD in military officers in Canada, US, UK after returning from combat missions abroad. Some US soldiers after returning murdered their wives, another in Canada drove his car into a military HQ. In the UK/Canada they are suing their governments. I wouldn't be surprised if Somalis suffered from this as well :(

P.S. Good luck on your trip to Somalia ;)

Here's are articles from The Toronto Star and BBC

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251669561&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3041629.stm

2real   

what's up bro,

I wasn't talking about PTSD being bull. What got me is this:

"In early 2002, they randomly surveyed 612 households in Hargeisa, Somaliland's capital, to determine the incidence of mental illness. The results were even more disturbing. Researchers discovered that 2.8 per cent of those surveyed displayed schizophrenia disorders: the percentage in all populations in the world is about one per cent."

The catch is the word "random"....not only fighters.

Thanx, I CANN'T WAIT TO GO!! I've never been to my own country where every one is SOMALI smile.gif

thats a sad story really. good luck there bro! i am sure u gonna have a wonderful time. i was born but dont remember nothing there!

my favouriate thing down there will be visting the radio station!>

MD   

I went to somalia two years ago, at first everything was weird to me..but then got use to it, What's interesting is that the people i met in somalia that i considered friends were those from western countries, people my age that grew up in somali just found me "odd" i guess :confused:

Have a nice trip and stay safe smile.gif

P.S. Don't forget take as many books as u can ;)

BN   

Originally posted by 2real:

what's up bro,

I wasn't talking about PTSD being bull.

Ma Bad :D

2real   

Thanks all. To tell you the truth I'm a little scared coz I have no clue what to expect.

rudy: why the radio station?

Hijabified Sista: nice nick! this is a trip I've been waiting for, for a long time so I don't think I'll take any books. I'll find other ways to entertain myself....hopefully. thanx 4 the advice smile.gif

2real,

I haven't been back myself...yet, but I've heard nothing but praise from all the ppl who've been. I think it will be a great experience 4 ya. Enjoy urself and take plenty of cash. ;)