Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Niqabi, interrupted

Castro   

^^^^ I see where you're going atheer. The point I'm trying to make is that France ought to know better than entertain such nonsense. Civil liberties (as this proposed niqaab ban is) should not be an issue in France, of all places. Specially in regards to dress that is a religious practice. To hide behind culture and customs, as Sarkozy seems to be doing, is not only hypocritical but xenophobic and racist.

Lets hold all violators of personal freedoms equally responsible.

Sure. But let's start with the ones that already allow freedom of religion, speech and assembly to not regress by banning a dress.

The others, well, it's a bit of an uphill battle.

Edit: You wouldn't happen to be related to a fellow by the name of Socod-badne, would you? :D

Abaya gets a makeover from John Galliano and Blumarine

Top European fashion labels, including John Galliano and Blumarine, have sent models in couture abayas down the runway in an effort to lure wealthy Muslim women. source 26 Jun 2009.

Fashion_1432190c.jpg

The Saks Fifth Avenue Riyadh and Jeddah fashion show at the George V hotel in Paris.

A horsewoman in a flowing, made-to-measure Islamic gown atop a snorting steed opened the fashion show on Thursday at the George V Hotel in Paris.

Abayas are the body-covering black robes some Muslim women don over their clothing in public, usually accompanied by a head scarf or niqab, the face veil that covers all but the eyes.

Designers who tried their hand at making over the abaya, which is required in Saudi Arabia, included Christian Dior's artistic director John Galliano, French luxury labels Nina Ricci and Jean Claude Jitrois and Italian houses Blumarine and Alberta Feretti.

The show began with a bang, as the carrot-topped cavaliere - decked out in a Galliano-designed abaya exploding with firework of coloured sequins and dangling fringe - rode her mount into the hotel's subterranean salon.

Twenty models followed on foot, wearing abayas heavy with rhinestones or airy in gauzy fabrics.

"I realised that most of the Saudi clients are wearing designer brands, but they're covered by a black abaya," said Dania Tarhini, the show's organiser and a general manager of Saks Fifth Avenue in Saudi Arabia. "It is an obligation to wear the abaya there, but let them feel good about it."

The timing of the Paris show was propitious: four days earlier, Nicolas Sarkozy, the French president, struck a nerve in the Muslim world by declaring that full-body veils such as the burka are "not welcome" in France, saying they make women prisoners. A top Muslim group in Britain called Mr Sarkozy "patronising and offensive." Lebanon's most influential Shia cleric called on Mr Sarkozy to reconsider his comments.

Ms Tarhini, a Lebanese who has lived in Saudi Arabia for the past seven years, acknowledged "it wasn't easy" to convince designers to take part in the project.

At first, "they couldn't imagine how to make a designer abaya," she told The Associated Press in an interview. "I explained to them the concept is to (make women) look good and also to promote their brands .... Then they accepted."

She said the initial batch of made-to-measure abayas - worth between €4,000-€8,000 ($5,500-$11,150) - would be given as presents to Saks' most faithful Saudi clients.

Ready-to-wear versions of the robes by the 21 designers featured in the Paris show are expected to go on sale in Saks stores the Saudi Arabian cities of Jeddah and Riyadh in September. The gowns, which are to retail for €1,800 ($2,500), could later be sold in the store's branches in neighbouring Bahrain and Dubai, she said.

Most of the gowns on display adhered to standards considered appropriate for wear in Saudi Arabia: all were black, most were floor-length and many had a built-in head covering or matching veil.

The few translucent abayas, like a bell-sleeved gown embroidered with white and yellow flowers by Carolina Herrera, the Venezuelan designer favoured by Renée Zellwegger, were meant to be worn over evening gowns, Ms Tarhini said.

"Everybody's waiting for a change in a good way," she said. Some women in Saudi Arabia "don't want to feel obliged (to wear the abaya). They want to wear it to look fashionable, as well."

--

but it is ok if you pay the French for them

^this is a new low, even for you@Caano. (runaway reporting of all things?)

Ibti, Na'ima B. Robert is an individual who equates Islam to a "greasy restaurant" and you want her to be taken serious?

She is on a crusade to save the poor, hopeless niqabi's and be their champion, while also selling few hundred books and sister subscription. Can you honestly say she is principled?

Does this person even believe waxa ey qoreyso?

Please dig up her bio and you will know that I am not making any of this up. Matter of fact, one google search should do the trick.

Other than that, I would much rather take you as the champion for women causes, especially niqabis instead of that robert woman any day of the week.

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

^this is a new low, even for you@Caano. (runaway reporting of all things?)

sweet, incidentally, how low was i before?

Cara.   

^Let's just say you are the undisputed king of limbo dancing.

Layzie, methinks you're a couple of face cards short of a full deck. You're complaining about the woman being socially active, making a living and having a voice. I'm sure if she wasn't you would accuse her of being a typical retiring niqabi and thus unqualified!

Castro & Ibt: Personal opinion;If the rule of the country is such,Muslims who willingly reside in their,should accept the rules.

<Muslim countries require people to wear hijab in there streets

Originally posted by Cara:

Why do i suddenly feel like the vacant kid at the back of the class?!

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn :

Castro & Ibt: Personal opinion;If the rule of the country is such,Muslims who willingly reside in their,should accept the rules.

even if that means sticking your head in the sand and singing 'jolly-ho' while you get shafted

Blessed   

Hold up, Lazy.. don't think you can squirm yours way out of this one by attacking the author.. address the points she raised..

Ibti, Na'ima B. Robert is an individual who equates Islam to a "greasy restaurant" and you want her to be taken serious?

No you have comprehension problems. That is NOT what she wrote and she was using an analogy in that article-- full article

She is on a crusade to save the poor, hopeless niqabi's and be their champion, while also selling few hundred books and sister subscription. Can you honestly say she is principled?

You got it twisted again, love. Your darling Sarkozy is on the crusade to 'save' the 'poor' 'helpless' niqaabis. She does not consider them to be poor, helpless niqaabis. Stay focused, here. She is one of them (niqaabis) and DOES NOT want to be saved.

Does this person even believe waxa ey qoreyso?

Yes, indeed. She is a practising Muslimah / Niqaabi professional who has been working to bridge gaps and empower Muslim women through her books and magazine and the countless other support she gives to her sisters - giving them opportunities to showcase their talents and businesses, doing research on their concernes, mentoring young Muslim girls..etc..etc. ;)

As for her 'selling' books and magazine. That's actually to her credit. As a da'ee, researcher and writer on Muslim womans issues, she is the perfect person to address these issues. She is considred to be a good authority on the issue by the newspaper which is why they approached her for the article.. And for the reciord, she has started writing this column a year ago and has been sharing her experiences as a Muslimah in the west to mainstream Britain so this article was not an opportunity to sell us books and magazines but is a part of a long standing column on her life as a convert western Muslimah. Naturally, as a niqabi- she was bound to address this.

p.s Perhaps, you should try to read her books and magazine. You'll learn plenty, trust me. smile.gif

Originally posted by Caano Geel:

quote:Originally posted by Cara:

Why do i suddenly feel like the vacant kid at the back of the class?!

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn :

even if that means sticking your head in the sand and singing 'jolly-ho' while you get shafted
'

If that is the norm.And you know damn well that you will get shafted if you move there. Then stick that head in the sand.

This is of course,Personal opinion.

Originally posted by Faarax-Brawn:

If that is the norm.And you know damn well that you will get shafted if you move there. Then stick that head in the sand.

This is of course,Personal opinion.

oo la la monsieur. se courber et de toucher vos orteils

Johnny B   

As for the interrupted 'Niqabi' i'd say your freedom to dress as fit is a Human right, but being not able to enjoy the freedom of saying NO to your husband is but a prerogative. :D

It is priceless to see the guy sitting behind them, with the newspaper and how uncomfortable he feels of his stealing glances of them.

I am far from to mock them, no. However, it is ridiculous in this case and if not a bit awkwardness for a Muslim as I am.

Cara, I don't object to anyone making a living and doing outreach work, especially if it empowers women. Having said that, I refuse to believe that Hooyo Na'ima is a saint. A mother, a devout muslim who happens to be a convert. Former party girl, who just woke up one day and decided to put the hennessy aside so she can play house and become the next Mother Theresa for the poor, misunderstood niqabi group. Now she is giving her opinions about what its like to be behind the veil, when she all but had 5 minutes with the veil? C'mon eedo, who are we kidding here?

Blessed, sister, Na'ima has made quite the impression on you, hasn't she? You are probably under her spell but dont let Hooyo Na'ima fool you for even a minute. Did I tell you that I went out of my way to drop a line inviting Na'ima to SOL about this very article, hopefully she will be gutsy and take me up on my offer and face the SOL music.

As for the greasy cafe business, no amount of analogy can excuse her sleazy car dealer technique, it speaks volume. Doing a make-over, transforming something out of nothing and making it great is one's goal in life. She is all set, a business savvy at that, she has found her target audience and by God if anyone should stop her. For Hooyo Na'ima, the first order of business is not selling the product but breathing and living it. She has to play the part in order to sell the part. Only then can she sell the product and no one can say she is not a good sales woman, so for that reason, I don't object to her marketing strategy. She is a clown, in terms of speaking the issue of the veil as thats out of her element. Did I tell you that I am wary of my realtor? You better be very wary of this angel.