Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

The New 7 Wonders

N.O.R.F   

CEEA5A20CAC6FE9277D5CE8628CEC4.jpg

Part of the Great Wall of China in Jinhangling, China. The Great Wall is a series of stone and earthen fortifications in China, built, rebuilt, and maintained between the 5th century BC and the 16th century to protect the northern borders of the Chinese Empire during the rule of successive dynasties.

26384AFA627249A4BD95F963D2C13A.jpg

The Taj Mahal is a mausoleum located in Agra, India. The Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan commissioned it as a mausoleum for his favorite wife, Mumtaz Mahal. Construction began in 1632 and was completed in approximately 1648.

61A5C4D81020915DE0D04D44D5ECC2.jpg

Machu Picchu (also called the "Lost City") is a pre-Columbian city created by the Inca Empire. It is located at 2,430m on a mountain ridge. Machu Picchu is located above the Urubamba Valley in Peru, about 70 km northwest of Cusco.

88C06E4B415291952D93A1154825DE.jpg

Petra in Jordan lies in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah, the large valley running from the Dead Sea to the Gulf of Aqaba. The monument is carved out of solid rock from the side of a mountain. It was famously described as "a rose-red city half as old as time" in a prize-winning sonnet by John William Burgon.

6766FF58ACCA26386C73805AE1E51.jpg

The Colosseum, originally the Flavian Amphitheatre, is a giant amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Originally capable of seating around 50,000 spectators, it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles. It was built between 70 and 72 AD under the emperor Vespasian. The amphitheatre, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire, was completed in 80 AD under Titus.

Pic

Christ the Redeemer is a large Art Deco-style statue of Jesus in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The statue stands 32 m tall, weighs 1000 tons and is located at the peak of the 710m Corcovado mountain in the Tijuca Forest National Park, overlooking the city.

B94830DC48C3B6E958E234AC8A98.jpg

Chichen Itza (from Yucatec Maya chich'en itza', "At the mouth of the well of the Itza") is a large pre-Columbian archaeological site built by the Maya civilization located in the northern center of the Yucatán Peninsula, present-day Mexico.

^This was always going to be a controversial list. There will always be good reasons to back up the 'wonders' that didn't make the list. E.g the Acropolis.

Pity about Timbuktu though - I can understand their disappointment. What I don't understand are those who thought the Sydney Opera House really stood a chance against such competition.

and where is Africa in the list ,,, it is impossible a whole continent don't have one single wonder ?? i always thought Africa is full of wonders

^ Jacaylbaro, the ancient city of Timbuktu in Mali was on the shortlist, but didnt make it.

The Great Pyramid of Giza was already on the original list of ancient wonders. But you are right though, there should have been atleast one African wonder on the list.

What the hell is so wonderful(wondering?) about the Taj Mahal?

Is it suprising that the world's most populated nations won this "contest". China's billion+ voted for themselves as well as India's & Latin America...It was a regional contest & no suprise with the winners really.

Did they have a Simon cowell like professor on the panel?,if they didnt they should have. I think this was a Joke.

^ I thought the same thing about the Taj Mahal.

Machu Picchu&Petra are my faves out of the lot.The only ones that are leave me in awe just from looking at pics despite the amount of times I have viewed them.

Ps-Although the Pyramids are the only surviving wonders from the ancient list were they not/allowed to be re-entered?Gonna go do some googling.

This was the shortlist...

1 Acropolis, Athens, Greece

2 Alhambra, Granada, Spain

3 Angkor, Cambodia

4 Chichen Itza, Yucatan, Mexico

5 Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

6 Colosseum, Rome, Italy

7 Easter Island Statues, Chile

8 Eiffel Tower, Paris, France

9 Great Wall, China

10 Hagia Sophia, Istanbul, Turkey

11 Kyomizu Temple, Kyoto, Japan

12 Kremlin, Moscow, Russia

13 Machu Picchu, Peru

14 Neuschwanstein Castle, Füssen, Germany

15 Petra, Jordan

16 Pyramids of Giza, Egypt

17 Statue of Liberty, New York, USA

18 Stonehenge, Amesbury, United Kingdom

19 Sydney Opera House, Australia

20 Taj Mahal, Agra, India

21 Timbuktu, Mali

So the Pyramids were on there and also the beautiful Kremlin.Shame walle.

Originally posted by -Nomadique-:

^LoL. No, they were ruled out for being on the original list of wonders.

Did they get bored with the original list?

I could see the comparison, Giant stone pyramids(Unknown how it was constructed) vs a love marble nest(known to all & sundry how it was built).