Sign in to follow this  
Bachelor

Gross National Happiness!

Bachelor   

Nomads what do you think if somalis begun to think about GNH? It really makes perfect sense to me.

The government of Bhutan measures its wellbeing not just by Gross National Product (GNP), but also Gross National Happiness (GNH). It turns out it is the only country that does so.

Accountability is a critical element in determining good and effective government. Since the success of development efforts largely depends on the accountability of those involved in the process, there is a need to enforce and promote accountability in the public service. There is also a need to assess the extent to which accountability measures have contributed to make government administrative machinery more efficient, effective and responsive to the needs of the people.

http://www.bhutanstudies.com/pages/gnh/10account.html

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/sixtyminutes/stories/2000_06_25/story_184.asp

Interesting. This is not new phenomena though. The Economists such as Alfred Marshall (University of Chicago) brought forward a similar argument for measuring happiness/wellbeing of consumers. They use UTILITY FUNCTIONS.

For example, Mujahid is a customer he just bought a HP laptop, my utility function will say be 100 (relatively happy) and if I purchase a house I would move to a higher utility function say of 1,000 (utilities) denoting (blissfully over the moon). Therefore, total happiness and function = 1,100 utilities.

For Somalia, well lets say they are more important dillemas to tackle first before moving into economical reform. First, let us unite smile.gif

Observer   

Well Mujahid that was really good econ. calculation..fanatastic theory or game.

Thank you, Bachelor, for posting this interesting link. I happened to have watched some of the 60 Minutes documentary, and was impressed with the Bhutanese government's approach to development. I must note, however, that apparently, there are political problems in Bhutan. I don't know enough about these problems to comment.

I see the Bhutan lesson for Somalis as follows: Bhutan is attempting to develop socially on its own terms, much like Europe or China had done for over a thousand years. Instead of fully exposing itself to 'Western' culture. There is merit is such an approach.

In my view, Somali's problems are a result of social underdevelopment. We remain socially underdeveloped having gone through our Dark Ages , followed by the shock of exposure to the 20th century, which we were not ready for. Had Somalis, by happenstance, had the chance to settle and develop, reform, build its institutions, mostly from within, as all the 'great' civilizations have, we would be in a much better state.

A good analogy for the Bhutan approach is the law of the 'Prime Directive' in the fictional world of Star Trek. This law states that the Federation of Planets, a somewhat technically advanced group of planets, may not interfere in the natural development of other cultures that they encounter. For example, if they encounter a planet whose residents are still using ox and plow, they are not allowed not toss them a couple of tractors. The reason for this law is that the results of such interference cannot be foreseen, and may be disastrous. And, perhaps more importantly, it is a recognition of the fact that if these societies were left on their own, they will not necessarily evolve into something like the Federation, but they will follow another path, perhaps more glorious.

I am not advocating that everyone lives in their own little cocoon and that all cultures are relative. I am just saying that there must be balance. Bhutan is trying to reach a proper balance. I hope that one day, somalis (nomads) grows up and starts a similar journey.

As Mujahid said "Lets unite" before everything.

Paragon   

I guess where at era of economic reform. Talking of Gross National Happiness and utility funtions, how happy are we (Somalis, of course) are with the current political changes?

IL CAPO   

Brother Bachelor,

I don't think GNH would suite us or any other country and don't you think that you are giving the customer a vast advantage here?

For example: A Somali will pay cool $100 for say the latest PS2 video game and next man will pay $50 for the same product! So would you blame that on GNH or call them for assistance for your lack of bargaining skills or would you file a complaint?

That is why I don't believe the saying "The Customer is Always Right" you need to protect your major companies those that provide and create jobs for the ordinary citizens of the country and make huge investments in your country and boost the economy but if you charge say De Beers the worlds biggest Diamond Company or Newmont Mining Corporation the world's largest gold producer with gross misconduct for violating the customer's rights and then they decide to pull out and go somewhere else with their billions of dollars where are you going to get a replacement with that kind of money?

Because these same companies and many more in world over invest a huge amount of money in building their images and they carefully monitor their staff so that he or she wont run to the media or to the law and file a civil suit worth millions of dollars and in the long run I think it helped them succeed in promoting their images and it increased their accountability and respect which is why their products are considered a one off.

I am not surprised that it is only Bhuttan, the only country in the world where these kind of things exist and in my opinion it a GROSS.

Peace.