Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Is Dave Chappele Converted Muslim??

This is Chappelle's second trip to South Africa. He first came to Durban, and visited Salim, in 2000. Chappelle won't tell me exactly how he met Salim but describes him as a family friend. A soft-spoken Muslim, Salim seems also to be something of a sounding board to Chappelle, who converted to Islam several years ago. While Chappelle is not doing a formal religious course in Durban, says Salim, who wore a simple cotton robe and hung back through the interview and photo shoot and only spoke when I asked him a question, "if he wants to talk religion then I'm there as someone to talk to." Says Chappelle: "This is kind of my spot where I can come to fill my spirit back up. Sometimes you neglect these things if you are running on a corporate schedule." The crux of his crisis seems to boil down to his almost obsessive need to "check my intentions." He uses the phrase a few times during the interview and explains that it means really making sure that he's doing what he's doing for the right reasons.

His family, he says, has been a huge support over the past eight months. "They've been phenomenal really, just incredible. What beautiful people. Everyone loves their family but it's good if you can like them too."

His religion is also crucial. "I don't normally talk about my religion publicly because I don't want people to associate me and my flaws with this beautiful thing. And I believe it is a beautiful religion if you learn it the right way. It's a lifelong effort. Your religion is your standard. Coming here I don't have the distractions of fame. It quiets the ego down. I'm interested in the kind of person I've got to become. I want to be well rounded and the industry is a place of extremes. I want to be well balanced. I've got to check my intentions, man."

Source

Castro   

As if Dave Chappelle didn't have enough problems with the establishment. Converting to Islam may be the nail in his career's coffin. Or may be not. He's a strong minded individual with enough talent a la Mohamed Ali to make this work.

Switching religions is no easy task. I love Chappelle and wish him all the best in his career and his soul search. Wherever that leads him.

STOIC   

I think i read somewhere that he got introduced to Islam back in high school.The dude needs some psychological help.How can you walk away from fifty million dollar contract.I doubt if being a muslim convertee will hurt his career since most of the rappers and black celebrities are "five percenters".I am not saying he is one.

PS: Fidel did you watch the dude in sixty minute? He has a big farm somewhere in Ohio.

PPS: Fidel, I asked you that because you are my sixty minute junkie partner :D

shyhem   

Chappele indeed is amuslim,but i don't know how religious he is,he looks very passionate about it.

Anyway dude is extremely funny for those with a sense of humour.I know some of you here are like the Japanese,u get the joke 30 minutes after the joke was said and the comedian has already moved on to another project...in otherwards u are damn f**king freaking slow,u just don't get it. ya'll should make sure you buy all his dvd collections.Don't be caught without one,will smith,mr bean and all other crap u got ain't funny at all.Update u'r sense of humour, before they put you in the same with asians category unless you find an indian,a chinese or ajapanese funny which will make us ask are u really normal? .

I was watching one of his dvd's last night.The title is "for what it's worth" a 60 minute stand up comedy he did for showtime in san fransico.....extremely funny especially the part about elizabeth smart and 15 yrs olds.WARNING this stuff is for mature audience only, and the kids on this website should wait to watch this dvd when they are 21 and older.

Castro   

Originally posted by STOIC:

PS: Fidel did you watch the dude in sixty minute? He has a big farm somewhere in Ohio.

PPS: Fidel, I asked you that because you are my sixty minute junkie partner
:D

You ain't gonna believe it but I watched it two weeks ago, for the 3rd time. Chappelle is the man!

Kashafa   

Originally posted by STOIC:

The dude needs some psychological help.How can you walk away from fifty million dollar contract.

You walk away when your job is conflicting with your religous beliefs and moral values. How would you answer your kid if he asked you "Daddy, why were you humping that lady on TV ?" Ahhh ummm, it was a comedy sketch, son.. ha ha.

Akh Dave pulled the right move. Now sans Comedy Central, he can do his own thing.

You walk away when your job is conflicting with your religous beliefs and moral values.

I doubt religion & Morals had to do with this. :confused:

I knew he had issues when i saw the "Black KKK" & "Black Bush" bits. No one Normal could come up with such creativity. :D Ama Miss him tho'

I am Rick James Bi!.Tch

Kashafa   

I doubt religion & Morals had to do with this.

So he just up and decided to quit Season 3 while filming ? Mind you, he already did some sketches.

It has everything to do with a man reconsidering how he's gonna live his life through.