Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Identity: Who do you think you are?

Nephissa   

I would be kidding myself to think that my culture and ethnic background do not play a role in who I am, and how I think or more likely why I feel the way I do about things. Being American, Brit or Swed by naturalization or even by birth won't take my Somaliness away from me. Thus, I choose to be Somali. My ancestry is extremely important to me, they are my kin and their blood runs in my veins. It connects me to them and to my roots, it makes me who I AM. My parents taught me things they have learned from their parents, who learned from their parents... there's a connection that each of us has with our heritage.

I was born Muslim first, Somali second, and so I shall die.

N.O.R.F   

^^That would be a good introduction to a 'Somalinimo' movie :cool:

All the action and fighting follows only for it to be repeated at the end.

Miriam1   

Maskin, its all bout nationalism right.

I have never been an arden flag waver...well except at sports games :D

But really, why do folks like you become so feverish at protecting home and land, because simply put its where one's heart is. Memories and people that have shaped you to the person you are now.

I won't risk my life for Somalia, because I have none there; Land or Home. For people like me or of my generation with similar experiences, its our parent's nostaliga and attachment to thier ethnicity, that shaped what fragments of a Somali identity we have.

Its only a dellusional person that would lay down thier life

Really though, what you lot have is remarkable and beautiful.

Aaliyyah   

There is no need to talk the talk and say yes I would die for Somalia. Because, if that was the case most of you would have been back home right now. Instead of being in your cozy house @ the west....just facts...face the truth none of us would die for somalia. and the truth is because we know deep down somalis are killing other somalis and regardless of who you side with, in the long run you are not going to gain anything out of it.

To answer the poster's question I consider myself somali, canadian, and a muslim. But no I would not die for Somalia ...specially when I know it is not worth it.

that's my two cents..

wa salaamu alaikum

Hayam...What would you die or is worth fighting for apart from Somalia that's?

In the States, everybody have their own little parade and ethnicity/race is nothing to shy from. People are more to the loyal to the State than nation.

Miriam1   

Amen Aliyah well said!

Che, the list is small, real tiny! But naturally it falls within the confines of what is acceptable to our religion.

I am not escaping my ethnicity, but to accept that I am by lineage Somali does not translate to unquestioned loyalty to the current reality that is Somalia!