Sign in to follow this  
Pujah

Quiet, frugal janitor hid his generous heart

Pujah   

February 8, 2007

Joanie Schwarzbeck had been Herb Linneweh's friend and next-door neighbor for 18 years, but it wasn't until he died that she ventured beyond the living room of his Mt. Prospect home.

Linneweh, who died in March at 72, was a shy retired janitor with few acquaintances and even fewer visitors. He had asked Schwarzbeck to manage his affairs, so after his funeral she arrived to clean out his small, pin-neat ranch house.

That's when she found the envelopes.

Dozens of them were stashed in dresser drawers, on shelves in a linen closet, in a Fannie May candy box. Every one was stuffed with cash.

"It was a little over $100,000," Schwarzbeck said. "I had no idea he had that kind of money in his house--none."

The currency was just part of a $700,000 estate assembled by Linneweh, a man too frugal to rent a movie or throw out a tattered shirt. His secret wealth brought windfalls to seven charities, and served as the final gift of a reclusive life transformed by friendship.

Read more

hodman   

Acuudu bilaah I guess frugal gave way to insanity along the way. What's the point of not spending on himself. A person can still live a good life and also enrich others around him

That's why I spend mine and other's money like there is no tommorow. Cause what's the point of hoarding it and dying poor?

Spend, spend and spend some more!!

Pujah   

^^I agree with you there, spend spend spend is my motto but don’t forget to save lil some for rainy days.