Sign in to follow this  
rudy-Diiriye

Rare Somali wild dameer

let me share this with you all about this !! sometime ago, i had the lucky chance to go to this wild animal park.

me and some relatives went there. we took the bus to watch the animals and decided to occuppy the front seats. my cousin, a gal took the left seat behind the lady driver. so we were enjoying the ride listening to the lady driver speak on the mic saying good stuff about the animals..!

Then all of sudden we hear the lady driver say.. and to the left of me is the beautiful Somali azz!! we all looked at our cousin, she looked back...for minute we were dumb founded... we never knew that there is such thing as somali dameer! she had that look on her face... wat the hell..! she was about to jump the lady driver

then all of sudden, our eyes caught the donkey there...!! we all bustted into a loud laugh..! the passengers looked lil confused! but they joined the laughter when i yelled this young lady is from somalia 2...well here its checked it out. u cant help but fall for this dameer.

Wild Animal Park keepers bottle-feeding latest inhabitant

By: SHANNON WINGARD - For the North County Times

Rare Somali wild dameer born last month rejected by its mother

SAN PASQUAL VALLEY -- Keepers at the Wild Animal Park east of Escondido said last week they're bottle-feeding a rare female Somali wild *** that has been rejected by its mother.

Park spokeswoman Christina Simmons said mothers don't reject their offspring often, either in captivity or in the wild.

"It's better if the mother takes care of the baby, of course, but if not we'll step in," she said.

Park officials said the animal, named Lowena, has been hand-raised in a nursery since it was born on Aug. 26.

The newborn is the 33rd wild azz born in San Diego since the mammals were brought here in 1985, according to Randy Rieches, the park's curator of mammals.

The San Diego Zoological Society, the parent organization for both the wild animal park and the San Diego Zoo, has all but two of the Somali wild asses in the United States, including 17 at the wild animal park.

Rieches said three are on loan to the St. Louis Zoo and that three others are on loan to a private institution that breeds endangered wildlife.

Rieches said the birth of a female Somali wild *** is important because the species is critically endangered, adding that there are between 3,000 to 7,000 of the animals left in the wild.

With its purple-tinted coat and zebra-like legs, the animal is a colorful sight.

"It's just an incredible species," Rieches said.

Rieches said the park plans to introduce the animal to other young females in the group when it is between 4 and 6 months old. He said the park eventually will lend the animal to other zoos and wild animal parks for breeding.

"We keep moving the animals around (among other zoos and animal parks) so the genes are distributed throughout the population," he said, adding that the mammals are native to African nations, including Ethiopia and Somalia, where droughts and political turmoil have "decimated their habitat."

Because of the droughts and turmoil, he said it has been difficult to determine exactly how many Somali wild asses live in their native habitats.

Rieches said breeding the mammals is important to preserve the population. Although returning the mammals to their native habitat is the ultimate goal, he said the society won't do that until the environment there becomes safer for them.

"The only thing we can do right now is to try to get these populations up as quickly and as large as possible," he said.