Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Examining Spain's Multiple Achilles Heel

Abtigiis   

From the Squad below, it is probable the starting 11 for Spain in the FIFA world cup in June and July 2010 in South Africa will be:

GK: Casillas

Defenders:

Puyol,

Albiol,

Pique,

Capdevila

Midfielders:

Xavi Alonso

Xavi Hernandez

Busquets

Iniesta

Strikers:

David Villa

F. Torres

To be honest, this is a formidable team on paper. But let us look into the players and see if they are as fearsome as we are made to believe.

1. The Goal Keeper department is fine. Even if Casilas is not his former self, he is still a decent keeper, and in case Spain needs a better one, Jose Reina is upto the challenge. In fairness, he should be the number one from the start.

2. Spain's weakness becomes more evident when you look at the defence. Puyol is short on pace and often conceds unnecessary free-kicks. he is also prone to Yellow Cards and outright dismissals. Pique and Albiol are average and Capdevila is tiring, and has always been a poor defender but good in assisting the attack. So, the defence is their biggest weakness but not the only one.

3. Arguably the best midfield. But when teams play negative, this midifeld will struggle as there is no one who have the power to stop tough-tackling midfielders. Iniesta is not fully recovered, but even then he and Xavi are good in holding possession but not in penetrating. Save for occassional good through balls they send to the strikers. Still, the midfield is good and Sergio Busquets will be the key man to win back balls.

4. Spain's next weakest department is the attack. Torres has been living on old glory for the past one year. He can head good balls, but his first touch is poor and he has a love affair with the grass, continuosly preferring to roll over it than stand firm and fight with defenders. And the biggest overrated player, David Villa is by his side. It is easy to contain Villa and contrary to all the praise heaped on him, he is a mediocre attacker and I will not put a lot of faith in him.

So, in the end, Spain is just another team with a good side but nothing special.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), Jose Manuel Reina (Liverpool/ENG), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol, Sergio Ramos, Alvaro Arbeloa (all Real Madrid), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol (both Barcelona), Carlos Marchena (Valencia).

Midfielders: Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal/ENG), Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta (all Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao).

Forwards: Juan Manuel Mata, David Silva (both Valencia), David Villa (Valencia/Barcelona), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool/ENG), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Fernando Llorente (Athletic de Bilbao).

© Sapa - AFP

N.O.R.F   

Man for man, better than Brazil.

The holding midfield role will be vital now that Senna is not in the squad. Alonso will do well this tournament and he will remind SOL's Mr Rafa what we have been missing.

Torres will be fit but they don't need him until game 3 or even the 2nd round. What a luxury.

Polanyi   

4. Spain's next weakest department is the attack. Torres has been living on old glory for the past one year. He can head good balls, but his first touch is poor and he has a love affair with the grass, continuosly preferring to roll over it than stand firm and fight with defenders. And the biggest overrated player, David Villa is by his side. It is easy to contain Villa and contrary to all the praise heaped on him, he is a mediocre attacker and I will not put a lot of faith in him.

Oh dear.

NGONGE   

^^ :D

A&T, on paper and in real life Spain are a very good team. They are not the European champions for nothing, saaxib. Pique has actually been outstanding this year and Puyol proves himself every year. There is nothing wrong with that defence, saaxib.

Torres is Torres. He's a strange player that always appears disinterested and lazy but bursts into life near the eighteen yard box and scores great goals. David Villa is not overrated (tacbaan yah), he's another great player.

I know you're having an argument with the "I-used-to-play-football-in-my-local-park" crowd. But don't let them drag you into making these crazy statements about such a great team.

I also agree with you about Brazil being the favourites.

For Spain, the only Issue I see in their team is there is no Senna. Am not sure if you can get the best of Alonzo by playing him too deep. I see First 11 A&T has chosen lack balance - particularly the midfield. We will see how it goes!

Cheers

^^ Alonso is not a natural ball winner. he is a distributor of the ball. He is the only player I have ever seen who can bass diagonal from anywhere in the field. So if you play him as a ball winner you will limit his influence in the game.

As for Senna you are right he is too old but he has not been replaced adequately see!

NGONGE   

^^ Beckham did it ten years before him, saaxib. Gerrard ayaa waxan baray. Hollywood passes are uuuf.

nuune   

^^ lool@Hollywood passes are uuuf,

Spain are the team to watch out, I completely disagree that they are not special, they are really good, many said they will not be the champions of Europe, with similar articles being circulated around, and the rest is history, they were the champions, but this time is different, different time, and with Villa and Torres on the attack, they can only depend on the midfield, which is very solid, they are the team to make some real surprises, be careful.

Tuujiye   

Waraa Spain wiligeed ayee fiicnaayeen.. every world cup ayaga ayaa laga cabsan jiray loool waa a team that could only win in europe.. we will see how good they do... I picked chilli over spain by the way....I hate spain!

Zu, Elanso is a good player when it comes to Liverpool standerds saaxiib..Mr. Lucas aka ngonge yuu ku waalin... Elanso has to stay back and never go for attack if he wants to help his team... Wax liverpool u ciyaara ama u ciyaari jiray oo nafaqo leh wiligee ma arkin...

Wareer Badanaa!!!

^^^ that is is my point. Alonso is not ball winner/DM, he is a supplier of the ball - mostly brings the wingers to the game.

How is Spain gonna field Insiesta, Xavi and Alonso in the same midfield unless they playing 4 5 1 or 4 3 1 1? not sure!

Cheers

Polanyi   

Originally posted by AT:

Oh dear.

AT, villa is one of the best strikers around. he wasn't top scorer in the euros for nothing.

Abtigiis   

Karl, you saw Torres last night and it confirms what I said above. Villa played well but against a very weak Honduran side. Let us see if he can keep doing this with others.

By far, the most brilliant player for Spain so far has been Jesus Navas.

N.O.R.F   

Give Torres time. He is returning from injury. Question is will he be 100% fit and sharp come the knockout stages. Doesn't look like it.

Villa is great to watch.

NGONGE   

Heh@A&T :D

Jesus Navas has actually been crap. He had so many opportunities to make a telling pass or cross and, almost always, wasted them. Villa was great and Torres (though he didn't score) was also very good. Spain played brilliantly. If they finish second in their group, I truly worry for Brazil.