Sign in to follow this  
galbeedi

The national army, arms embargo and Al-shabaab, plus another eye witness

galbeedi   

Last week I did promise to write my own investigation of Al-shabaab 's activities and those connected with it's deadly attacks . It is a huge task that needs careful consideration of all sides. In the mean time, I will write a prelude ( or what reer Benadirs call Prosemintoda ka horeysa filimka) to gage the landscape and the current situation of Mogadishu and the surrounding area.

Also, here in SOL we have been exchanging some ideas about the lifting of the arms embargo. On that subject, there are two diametrically opposed opinions where each one of them have merits in their own right. One is looking to the future of Somali state and it's ability to procure weapons to defend itself from enemies within and outside our borders.

Here Mr. Tillamook said :

"don’t know why we Somalis choose to pretend that, however weak and dysfunctional our country is… there are many who still fear what it was and what it can be, again.

The arms embargo on Somalia will remain unchanged because those who’ve imposed it, don’t share your fears about one clan in Somalia getting armed and then subjugating the other clans…but rather, they only wish to keep any heavy weapon systems from falling into ANY Somali hands– for fear of such arms being used to wage war, in the future, on our fragile neighbors"

I think this statement sums up the activities of our neighbors for the last two decades. While we have been brutalized by foreign inspired extremist movements, coupled with weak and dysfunctional governments, our rivals fear us . When a lion who roars in the jungle dies , those who knew his strength and power do not approach him quickly, because there is still a fear that he may rise and do some damage. There were two major statements uttered by former Kenyan President Daniel Arap Moi, regarding the condition of Somalis at the time and his fears of the future Somalia that may rise from the ashes of civil war.

He took power in 1978, and he almost ruled more than two and half decades. in the early 2002, the opposition agitated and wanted to oust him with bloody riots. Fearing the disaster of civil war , he said " Do you see what is happening in Somalia ,?, they are resilient people despite what they are going through, I can assure you that if some thing like that happens here , you would be dying like a cattle". waxa uu yidhi sida lo'da ayaad u Dhimanaysaan haddii waxa Somalia ka socda idin gaadho.

The other one was delivered in September, 2003, while addressing American defense University. He said " one of the drawbacks in the Somalia peace process was the regional suspicion that a united Somalia might pursue its "expansionist dreams". He continued , "some of the countries neighbouring Somalia, feared that a re-united and prosperous Somalia might resurrect its early territorial claims".

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p240x240/12247198_753300984773806_8655519395544865622_n.jpg?oh=9ea4d386f72b0ab4b4b9b0f4bdecdfdd&oe=577151EE'>https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p240x240/12247198_753300984773806_8655519395544865622_n.jpg?oh=9ea4d386f72b0ab4b4b9b0f4bdecdfdd&oe=577151EE

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-0/p240x240/12247198_753300984773806_8655519395544865622_n.jpg?oh=9ea4d386f72b0ab4b4b9b0f4bdecdfdd&oe=577151EE

On one side, he warns his not so strong Sawaaxillis to avoid following the foot steps of Somalis, on the other side , he fears that the dead lion of Somalia may rise from the ashes of tribalism and reclaim his proper place in the horn of Africa. For me these are the indication that I base my conclusions to lift the arms embargo. No sovereign nation will accept that the whole world is descending to Somali waters to control few pirates. Iranians, Chinese, Europeans and others are in our oceans to fight pirates. Believe me, few factories , and a dozen fishing boats can keep these young men employed, yet millions are spent to patrol seaways.

" Nin ku Dilay Hadh Kuuma Jiido". if you look conflict zones around the world, no one allows their neighbors to pacify them. Iraq refused the participation of it's neighbors as peace keepers. Afghanistan will never accept India, Pakistan or Iran to pacify them. How can you accept for your rivals and competitors to have free hand in your security and other internal matters including the writing of your constitution. Every nation have dirty laundry and internal issue that it must deal by itself. I do not want even my close friends to visit my home while things are disorganized or the dishes are not washed, why would you allow your competitors to clean your mess?, only in Somalia.

On the other hand a weak, dysfunctional and corrupt government must be judged by it's action on issues of competence , organizational skills and the seriousness it confronts the security threat . Those who oppose the military empowerment of the government, justifiably see it's unwillingness to face the reality on the ground regarding Al-shabaab . They see the Somali president guarded by Ugandan troops. A leader that can not defend himself from the local threat , and his inability to equip and train his own body guards , should not be trusted to protect the public.

Here Mr. Gheelle.T said:

"It’s not the lack of heavy weapons as the reason why AS aren’t defeated, it is lack of will on the part of the government to defeat them, not only militarily, but also politically. AS is still drawing supporters from the locals in the south and they do tax businesses including the big companies (xawaalah and telecom). Why can’t the government win the support of the people? Why can’t they pressure these big businesses to stop giving money to AS?"

These are true statements that reflect the distrust many Somalis have on this government to tackle security issues. why can't they get the support of the people?. Regarding on this note , let me introduce you another eye witness who just this month came from Mogadishu. Unlike the last witness, this one spent months in Mogadishu. Let us get straight to the witness.

He said, " I was sleeping a farm just outside of Dayniile district--- which is about a kilometer from the town--- when someone banged the door around midnight, since there was a no mans land between the farm and the nearest houses, we were all scared about this knock on the door at midnight".

" As we opened the door, a panicked man who was a family member, pulled a letter from his pocket and claimed that it was a summon from Al-shabaab courts tomorrow morning", " the letter did not specify or say much other than an order to be present at the court". He tried to calm down the man, and told him to go to bed and " we will figure out the first in the morning".

" Without delay , as the sun came, we prepared to meet this al-shabaab court and sort out the problem". He was probably expecting to meet a clandestine network In some obscure part of the country side , but , to his surprise the judge and the court it self are operating within the city limits for everyone to see. He said " we entered in this non descript building in the middle of Dayniile district, and, SubhanAllah, the judge and the court is there in plain sight for everyone to see.". As they took their seat, the plaintiff was also sitting right there beside the judge . The plaintiff was , the defendant's cousin and he was suing his relative to pay back some un paid wages he owed for working in his business. He asked the diaspora guy to lend him some money for him to settle this final Al-shabaab verdict which said " the debt must paid today". According to locals all civil and criminal matters are dealt by AS court.

The moral of the story is unlike what the ruling class in Mogadishu telling us, AS is not a spent terrorist force that that is operating in Jubba, Shabeele or in the country side . It is alive and well in large number of districts in Mogadishu. Not only in Daynile, but, in Dhankarley, Huriwaa, Hawl-wadaag and Medino. They are collecting taxes in Bakaraha, and from all major telecom companies. Some times, for security reasons, they may order the closure of internet and telephone service in Shabeelaha Hoose and southern regions to avoid detection. The government is not even safe in the green zones where most of it's staff live. According to local people , the long hand of AS can reach anyone in Mogadishu.

The question is what have they done in order to be rewarded?. Here one of the government spokesman showed us a picture soldiers in nice uniform marching. Yes I do have respect and admiration those who put their lives on the defence of the nation. At the same time , I can not trust for certain group connected to the ruling class to claim that they are only defenders of the state while knowing this is the collective duty of all. Do not go far, just check the Marka and surrounding communities how they feel about the national army and it's leaders. The same commanders who in the year 2000, leading the alliance that was taking over Kismaayo are now the military leaders of the soldiers stationed in Marka Caddey.

The local people call them : maleeshiyada isku sheegta ciidanka qaranka. The local people have their peoples militia , while AS is the third party in the conflict. The preoccupation of the local people is not Al-shabaab , but the eviction of those they think are sucking their blood in the name of the army. These are serious issue that must be addressed. The Somali people lost the trust of their government and it's leaders. The big question is how to gain the trust of the people to assist the restoration of the state and fight against anarchy and terrorism.

Last week a former defence minister of Somalia in 2008, during the premiership of Nuur Cadde, Mr. Muxyadiin Ibrahim was killed when a bomb was placed in his car. As he drove, the car exploded. Everyone said that AS claimed the responsibility, yet if you follow carefuly the Marka Caddey clan conflict, fingers could be pointed in different directions.

Mr. Muxyadiin was the Chairman of Kulan Party. A well organized party with platforms and large membership. He hails from Marka and Shalanbood. About a month ago, Hassan Sheekh appointed Mr. Muxyadiin's son as the intelligence chief of Shabeelha Hoose, another man Mr. Cumarey was also named the new mayor of Marka. The mayor deployed some local militia from #50 and other districts to Marka to protect himself from the Galgaduud militia who work and run the Swiss financed NGO, who operates in the hospitals and food programs. The local people call them " Hay'ad Beeleed", because a large number of armed militia and others are security contractors with armored vehicles who act with impunity and do as they wish.

When the Amisom soldiers left Marka , so does the Somali soldiers commanded by Goobaanle and others from Galgaduud. A large local militia replaced them . According to local people, For fear of loosing their grip in Marka , they introduced some harsh measures including putting check points in and around town. Some of these commanders are accused by the local people of burning villages and murdering people throughout the region. They also said that the assassination of Mr. Muxyadiin is all connected to the Shabeelaha Hoose issues. These are the accusations of the locals. Personally I can not confirm if AS murdered him or the Galgaduud militia in Mogadishu. Allahu Yaclam.

What I am getting is the national army must be ( Ninkii lagu seexanaeyey ee nabada Ilaalinayey) the peace soldiers whom the public have the out most trust. Even in war torn countries , the national army is their only hope of inclusive security. In 2006, C/laahi Yuusuf brought couple of thousand soldiers from Puntland to protect the government and pacify the capital . Everyone opposed, even the late C/risaaq X. Huseen protested the idea of a Geedi/AAdan Madoobe/C/laahi combining their home based armies. Today we have USC and their allies telling as they are building a national army. " Ogolaan mayno Qabaa'il noo dawladaynaya oo Ciidan Beeleed Dhisanaya". I would not go more than that or that warlord Calasow may find one of my cousins in Mogadishu , send his pictures and proclaim that Galbeedi had sent money from Canada and convict me in absentia.

Every member of Parliament must bring at least a hundred man army from his village and town. The armies of Puntland , Jubba, Baydhabo and Shabeelaha, Galmudug and Hiiraan must be mixed to make way for the national army, besides, regional government should not have army if you got a national army.

Folks we are In a great dilemma , we want the arms embargo lifted, but at the same time people want concrete results on the ground In order for the arms to be handled by professional inclusive army. People want to know what have you done lately in terms of security. To achieve all these goals and stop this false dreams of these weak government , we must elect a new generation of Somali leaders who have both the vision and hard work to restore Somalia. Our slogan must be change of leadership.

Mr. President , please go home and accept the change Somalis every where are calling for.

” Without delay , as the sun came, we prepared to meet this al-shabaab court and sort out the problem”. He was probably expecting to meet a clandestine network In some obscure part of the country side , but , to his surprise the judge and the court it self are operating within the city limits for everyone to see. He said ” we entered in this non descript building in the middle of Dayniile district, and, SubhanAllah, the judge and the court is there in plain sight for everyone to see.”. As they took their seat, the plaintiff was also sitting right there beside the judge . The plaintiff was , the defendant’s cousin and he was suing his relative to pay back some un paid wages he owed for working in his business. He asked the diaspora guy to lend him some money for him to settle this final Al-shabaab verdict which said ” the debt must paid today”. According to locals all civil and criminal matters are dealt by AS court.

let me introduce you another eye witness who just this month came from Mogadishu. Unlike the last witness, this one spent months in Mogadishu. Let us get straight to the witness.

Galbeedi continues to wage Propaganda war against the people of Mogadishu

cheap propaganda seems Your Witness(if One ) has great Hate for the resilient People of Mogadishu .

Galbeedi

Mogadishu will prevail these waves of terrorist attacks against civiliansare sign of dying terrorist organization .

Alshabaab are using suicide mission to gain destruction they will loose hope soon