Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

Dr Osman Investigation - Turkey Involvement In Somalia

Dr_Osman   

I have always welcomed Turkey involvement in Somalia, since the great famine that struck the nation in 2011 till now they have been heavily engaged in the country. Sure this looks good for Turkey international profile and playing a international role but could there be something murky here we don't see? I have always wondered why doesn't Turkey invest in other regions, why only mogadishu? I mean sure it can be argued Mogadishu suffered the greatest part of the war and need the development urgently but other areas of the south wasn't exactly a picnic either and Turkey hasn't done anything to assist there. I use to give Turkey the benefit of the doubt thinking they will deal with mogadishu in the mean-time and gradually hit the regions but this hasn't ever come. We need to start exploring why this hasn't come and what is buried in mogadishu to keep the turks solely there.

Turkey has come to PL since 2012 and given mere 'pledges' of assistance and repeated that cycle every 6 months or so as if to play to people concerns of turkey not actively working in the regions. They now have opened an office in Bosaso and might do the same thing for another 2 years and simply open up offices across Puntland to buy themselves time on not doing anything development wise in the region. They are also now sending business delegation and will continue the 'pledge' route with Puntland to ease concerns and rinse and repeat that cycle for a few years untill people get tired of it. Why is it doing this? do they actually think people are stupid or blind.

The only answer I have for Turkey not helping the regions and only mogadishu is because of erdogan who is a known muslim brotherhood sympathiser, he did the same thing in egypt streghtening the muslim brotherhood there 'openly', what makes you think he isn't doing that in Somalia? Who are the muslim brotherhood in Somalia, well it's dam-jadiid which is a wing of al-islah and al-islah is known party among the muslim brotherhood. What are muslim brotherhood idealogy? their idealogy is 1 strong central state just like egypt where it was founded. My theory is that Turkey is enpowering the dam jadid faction zone 'mogadishu' with development as a tool to bring regions into a weaker position when negiotating federalism and make it as centralised as possible. Development is a political tool, if a govt is lacking in providing development to it's residents sooner or later anyone can come along and form a rebel group, terrorist group, or whatever opposition they want in that territory due to local grievances. So this one sided development by turkey to mogadishu is known as 'soft politics' give the candy to your political allies too woo the other political factions to his position. I mean does it make sense 5 new hospitals have been done for mogadishu yet not 1 hospital for baidoa or kismayo? infact recently baidoa hospital ran out of medical supplies and had to fly patients to mogadishu, this should've of raised alarm bells to federalists. This is taking everything back into the center and handicapping the regions.

My suggestions to the regions to counter this development offensive now being used by centralists is seek your own development partners from countries who are supportive of your government policies such as federalism and moreso seek countries that are anti turkey like the gulf states for investment. I would think dubai-kuwait-saudi-bahrain and those sorts of countries should be where the regions should be looking to establish strong ties to counter this turkish development offensive towards mogadishu. This development offensive is no different to politicians seeking foreign political support, ironically the HAG always are known to seek political support from islamist based countries who have a 1 govt for somalia agenda on their mind only.

I don't think it's wise the regions yell about this issue publically about turkey one sided development to mogadishu because it will only make us look 'tribal' in-front of the public who are really supportive of Turkey right now, but we should silently shift our development partners to the gulf state and show the centralist they are not winning the battle in this front either without disturbing the public or showing them any ill-will is coming from the regions. What Gaas is doing is crazy naming more islamists in the cabinet with muslim brotherhood ties thinking this will do the trick but it won't, it will just mean you will need to negiotate the type of federalism you want for that nation to be center based and it is seriously bad time to be playing that game when the constitution is being finalized. I am not prepared to sacrifice loose type of federalism to center based on for turkey development, there are other partners that can be sought and we can continue on promoting our federal platform for the nation.

Doctor Osman. I think the pirates have reached their eventual fate. For you see hag although bein unstable, chaotic curropt and lacking in civilised nature they are the majority in the south that is not in question. They are also the majority in mugdisho.

Now the pirates exist within bosaso, garowe and north galcayco with a relatively small population sparsely populated villages and the bulk of their land ie nugaal and most of Bari is a desert uninhabitable for animals let alone humans.

The government coffers are empty because of previous administrations plundering and curroption.

The enclave has been politically isolated as mugdisho operates free of them.

No upturn in sight... Cabdi Cawar is a sitting duck traveling from tulo to tulo.

His only campaign promise to liberate Lascanod has been thrown into the bin. Las korey has become somaliland, badhan is somaliland.

Yet you sit here talking to us about turkey.

Turkey is a smart power the will emphasis mugdisho before all else because they want markets for their goods, African influence etc

Turkey is looking after turkey.

You should be looking after pirates