Sign in to follow this  
Admin

Peacekeeper in Somalia: “I don't want to defeat Al-Shabaab. I would rather scatter them to prolong my mission,”

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Xaaji the only reason why they never attacked your Tribal Enclave is because they've been severely weakened by AMISOM and are too preoccupied with subduing the South. Remember, your cousin Godane is an Internationalist, and he's even threatened to attack countries as far away as the U.K. and Turkey. So what makes you think your 3-City Republic is exempt? What makes you think you're safe?

If Al Shabaab controls the entire Somalia....from Kismayo to Bosaso, they will have under their control territories as large as France, with millions of Somalis under their control. You really think a fanatic Shabab-controlled Somalia is going to be good for Somaliland?

The Taliban War in Afghanistan has spilled over into Pakistan. The War on Drugs in Mexico has spilled into the U.S.A. Not even the Americans have the power to stop the fanatical Mexican Drug Cartels from operating in California and Texas. Yet you think your Tribal Enclave can stop an Army of thousands of fanatics who will do whatever their Amiir tells them to do, including dying for their cause? What happened to your common sense?

Somalilanders should be concerned about the events in Somalia....;because sooner or later our troubles will come knocking on your door. And trust me it won't be pretty

And what do I think should be done in the future? Well I think the SFG should first control their territory....build up a professional army....kick out the foreigners....and then institute a moderate form of Shariah Law over Somalia.

Al Shababs 2 main recruiting tools is the presence of foreigners in our country and the notion that they are the only ones who want to implement the Hukm of Allah. If we take that from them, it'll be easy to negotiate with their more moderate elements and then crush the extremists

You have made excellent points and I do agree with you but as Xaaji said Alshabaab will never be able to take over Somaliland for the following reasons:

1> The vast majority of Somalilanders are completely against extremism and its violent ideology and so would do whatever it takes to keep them at bay.

2> Somaliland is blessed with the world's largest intelligence organisation. Every member of the public is a potential spy and works with the security agencies. The people whose property you rent will keep an eye on you; if the shopkeeper is suspicious of you, the police will be at your doorstep; the local imam and the neighbours are spooks too; everyone in Somaliland is really alert to the threat of terrorism. I had a first hand experience about this when few years back I went to Hargeisa and one day started to take photos of public places. Within minutes I was in the police station being searched and questioned aggressively. Apparently some people got suspicious about my non-native appearance and called the police!!

3> If alshabaab takes over Somalia and starts to threaten Somaliland, Somaliland will not fight alone. Ethiopia pledged to defend Somaliland against any threat to its security and Britain made it clear that the terrorists will never be allowed to destabilise Somaliland. Indeed, the British Prime Minister made this announcement in the UK parliament. So in the unlikely even of an alshabaab invasion, the Somaliland military will have the full support of Britain (and of course her NATO allies some of whom are based in Djibouti) and Ethiopia. Alshabaab has got really no chance against Somaliland.