Sign in to follow this  
raula

ESL/English Language Learners' materials needed

raula   

I got a call from a daughter of a colleague volunteering w/a Somali Refugee family (ies) in MESA, ARIZONA (USA) asking if there are materials available for this family to use as they can't afford daycare, to attend Adult language classes close by. (the family has young children, & somehow don't have childcare assistance-or maybe they don't understand the system well, i don't know), so can't go to school.

Do you guys know any resources I could refer them to? Somali communities? Daycare resources? DVD's/CD's/Audio etc. I am guessing they won't be able to read or write so print material might not be the best-but anything.

Or where i can find such materials?

Thank you.

;);)

this sounds like a gimmick.

perhaps, you've been a little too hasty, in condemning these folks to IGNORANCE. kulaha.....''I am guessing they won't be able to read or write''. :D these people need their own curriculum by the sounds of it, ma istidhi? ;)

i've got headway 3rd edition (4 different levels + student books + teacher's book)....would this help?

raula   

Alpha walaalo,

sorry if that's how it came across. No they aren't ignorant....I meant print materials in English (can't read or write that) as they would be fine to getting along w/their daily life in Arizona if that was the case. Not Somali. I was merely asking for any SOMALI resources in ARIZONA, specifically any if, in MESA, for this family. (I Have informed them to check out the local libraries,bookstores-discounted or not for materials, but wondering if any other resources)-such as daycare services so that they can attend school.

**Thx for the Headway -I have checked out, but i think it could be dialect issues as the ones i have looked up on GOOGLE are of british Accent, hence can cause cross-cultural misunderstandings-makes sense?

raula;975397 wrote:
Alpha walaalo,

sorry if that's how it came across. No they aren't ignorant....I meant print materials in English (can't read or write that) as they would be fine to getting along w/their daily life in Arizona if that was the case. Not Somali. I was merely asking for any SOMALI resources in ARIZONA, specifically any if, in MESA, for this family. (I Have informed them to check out the local libraries,bookstores-discounted or not for materials, but wondering if any other resources)-such as daycare services so that they can attend school.

**Thx for the Headway -I have checked out, but i think it could be dialect issues as the ones i have looked up on GOOGLE are of british Accent, hence can cause cross-cultural misunderstandings-makes sense?

good luck walaalo. don't feel compelled to explain yourself to me. i was being silly. :o

inshallah kheyr and best of luck with your endeavours.

**Headway is ok but maybe not appropriate for Americans. :cool:

Poster,

Tell the family to have a Somali Interpreter call the following number:

Tel: 480-396-3795 |1525 N. Power Rd, Mesa, AZ 85205 | http://www.lss-sw.org/index.asp

Refugee Focus provides language training, programs for youth, child mining, etc.

Also, there are many more social services available in the area. For example, if the family has a Somali interpreter, they can

ask to get in touch with Catholic Charities Community Services/ Tel: 602.285.1999 http://catholiccharitiesaz.org/ Ask if they have an office in Mesa, Arizona.

One of the many programs they have included but not limited to provides assistance to the newly resettled families and single

people. But the organization above will do the introduction, not to worry. Just call the Refugee Focus in Mesa,

Arizona.

Mida kale, the family you are discussing are in no position to just get books and teach themselves. They need

help and help

is readily available. They are community resources available without a cost. Ask the family friend to call the

numbers above and/or do research online to get more contacts for social services in the area. Once they get

the introduction, their challenges with child mining will be solved. (There is no cost to the families involved)

^ oops, spelling error. There is a "d" missing. What I meant to say was that the organizations above have child

minding centres...

PS: You are welcome.