Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

The importance of taraweeh

Muslims should attend Tarweeh prayers nights. Even though, it is not obligatory for a Muslim to pray Tarweeh, without a valid excuse, he will be questioned in the Day of Judgement why he did not pratice a strong Sunnah of the Prophet (sws) during the holy month of Ramadan.

The Prophet stated," Whoever observes night prayer in Ramadan as an expression of his faith and to seek reward from Allah, his previous sins will be blotted out."(Muslim)

However, the Prophet did not practice Taraweeh daily in the nights of Ramadan in the masjid because he feared that it would become mandatory (fardh) on his Ummah."The Messenger of Allah (saas) observed Taraweeh prayer in the Masjid one night and people prayed with him. He repeated the following night and the number of participants grew. The companions congregated the third and fourth night, but the Messenger did not show up. In the morning he told them, "I saw what you did last night, but nothing prevented me from joining you except my fear that it might be made mandatory on you in Ramadan."

Number of Raka'ats in Taraweeh

As for the number of raka'ats in Taraweeh and Witr, the worthy ancestor, Salaf as-Saalih disagreed on the amount of Raka'ats. These numbers are mentioned for raka'ats: 39, 29, 23, 19, 13, and 11 raka'ats. Of all the numbers mentioned, none is sounder than 11 raka'ats. 'Aishah (raa) was asked how was the prayer of the Prophet (saas)? She replied: "He did not pray in Ramadan or some other times more than eleven raka'ats." (Muslim/Bukhari)

Taraweeh will not accepted from a qabiliiste and neither shall they enter the Jannah; that is very clear in the sunna & hadeeth. sidaas ula soco.