Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

Kismaayo 2nd Largest City In Somalia No Doubt. PICS

Baashi   

In terms of population or size? No. It is not. It has the potential though and given the number of refugees next door, ready and available capital now invested in Kenya and other African markets and the skilled and good-mannered reer Kismayo folks around the world, the city has the potential of becoming one of the highly developed cities in Somalia.

Kismayo used to have decent infrastructure. It remains an important economic hub despite of neglect and aging infrastructure. Forgive me for my sentimental longing and wishful affection of the past but I gotta tell you that place is rough in the diamond. When I was growing up Kismayo had number of factories, major ports, two airports and diverse foreign workers (Italians, Egyptians, Russians and Brits). I remember some of my relatives were getting their income from furnished houses rented to Brits who were working on Sugar plant in Mareereey.

People were not rich but they were getting by. Not as government workers but as small business owners -- importing tea, biscuits, butter from Mombasa and selling cattle, banana, mango to government (state monopoly)...

I have digressed a little from what i wanted to say in this post. Kismayo was a big city way back but anymore due to never-ending conflict that prevented its inhabitants to invest much of the last two decades.