Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Sumad

Chimera   

Safferz, you should take a close look at that ancient writing system spotted by 20th century explorers, 70s archaeologists, and Sada Mire in recent times. I'm thinking of doing a 1 year coastal and marine archaeology course, and just scuba-dive around Somalia's waters, because I'm 100% sure many ruins lie currently submerged in the Somali peninsula, even ones dating from as recent as the 15th century, let alone Periplus of the E. Sea times.

Safferz   

D.O.C, the Q looking sign (not a letter, it's a circle with two lines) is from a Kenyan ethnic group, and as I mentioned in my post, I haven't been able to find images of Somali geel with sumad but the closest thing I have is that photo I took near Berbera. I will have to keep an eye out when I'm back in the region next week.

Chimera;959026 wrote:
Safferz, you should take a close look at that ancient writing system spotted by 20th century explorers, 70s archaeologists, and Sada Mire in recent times. I'm thinking of doing a 1 year coastal and marine archaeology course, and just scuba-dive around Somalia's waters, because I'm 100% sure many ruins lie currently submerged in the Somali peninsula, even ones dating from as recent as the 15th century, let alone Periplus of the E. Sea times.

Thanks Chimera, I have some familiarity with the archaeological findings but because my historical interests tend to relate to living history and the immediate past (20th century), I haven't done any serious reading on it. We do need more Somali archaeologists, who knows what remains to be excavated from beneath the sands of the region where humanity originated. I've always suspected Somalia may have remains older than Dinknesh (Lucy) as well :P

Chimera   

That is a strong possibility, but one thing we can be sure about is that Somalia was an exit point, so we can expect some interesting stuff.

Chimera   

BTW, I remember reading something vaguely familiar in a old 70s government book about branding camels, and similar signs being found on wells and walls. It was called "Somalia Today: general information". I wasn't allowed to take it with me from the British Library and had to read it there.

I had another look at their catalogue, and its no longer there.

Safferz   

Chimera;959043 wrote:
BTW, I remember reading something vaguely familiar in a old 70s government book about branding camels, and similar signs being found on wells and walls. It was called "Somalia Today: general information". I wasn't allowed to take it with me from the British Library and had to read it there.

I had another look at their catalogue, and its no longer there.

Looks like Indiana has it, but unfortunately it's not digitized. I'll check it out when I get around to making the journey to Bloomington for their archives in the near future :)

D.O.C   

Saffz...are you going berbera walal?......Damn that is not fair, I have got some pictures of our camels back home, however I am not too sure their sumad, I will post it when I find the memory card.

My camels graze next to this guy's camels ...check the video but different sumad :D

wyre   

Annaga waxaan sumad ahaan u leenahay labo alif iyo deel :D

geel dhaqatana waan nahay in kastoo marki dambe reer magaal kusoo hoobanay :D

Safferz   

D.O.C;959053 wrote:
Saffz...are you going berbera walal?......Damn that is not fair, I have got some pictures of our camels back home, however I am not too sure their sumad, I will post it when I find the memory card.

My camels graze next to this guy's camels ...check the video but different sumad
:D

Thanks for the link, D.O.C. I probably won't be in Somaliland this trip, just Ethiopia for research (ayeyo is leaving Hargeisa for the UK for a few weeks while I'm nearby, and I don't see the point in going if she's not there :()

D.O.C   

^oooooooooh good luck with your research walal, hope you enjoy yourself and work hard, and also be warn with certain food and water I am told in Ethiopian. I don't think alphy wil bel happy with you not to coming to Hargeisa ;) plz send us some post cards, if you get time.

Safferz   

Haha I will definitely be careful and keep you guys posted when I have internet, and anyone who sends me their mailing address will get a postcard :)

Showqi   

I don't need a postcard, but I sure need some Muqmad/Oodkac:p

Sumada geela waxaa kala yaqaan ragii geel jiraha ahaan jiray dadkan meesha ka buuxa badankoodu (including me) waa caydh oo geel malaha.