Sign in to follow this  
Daqane

The Impracticality of Somali Style Federalism.

Plus, federalism isn't for Soomaalida iyo Soomaaliya. It isn't a new idea. It was around since '50s. A minor, self-clan interest-seeking Soomaalis supported then, led by marxuum C/qaadir Soobe. He spent his political career in '50s and '60s espousing this very idea, even going as far as to Qaramada Midoobay's General Assembly in '50s. He wasn't successful. Neither will this time.

People and lands opt for federalism for reasons known, such as great landmass that separates people within a country, ethnic divisions, religious divisions, language divisions -- Soomaalis, as far as we know, do not have any of these divisive issues. Clan issue is nothing close to that.

ElPunto   

Carafaat;946520 wrote:
ElPunto,

The author made some pretty good arguments and you just repeated the same statements in line with the old prescription of 1998. What was a temporary solution back in 1998 with clan administration, dividing regions and peoples, a divided Mudug and a divided Galkacyo, you are describing for the rest of Somalis in 2013.

Why dont you try to come with new arguments and a new vision in line with recent developments in Mogadishu. The city has moved, it is being pacified, the green line that excisted for decades has been removed and the city has a unified leadership. For sure the same can be done In Mudug and Galkacyo or are you still confinced that people(clans) can't share a common local and regional goverment administration.

Carafaat - this jumping and jiving style that you habitually engage in is not an adult conversation. I showed why the author's piece was full of weak arguments. You can show me why my argument is weak. Otherwise nagada nac-nacda.

Illyria   

Somalis by nature are federalists.

And as the man said, it is about the PEOPLE, and not about the system.

ElPunto   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;946522 wrote:
Plus, federalism isn't for Soomaalida iyo Soomaaliya. It isn't a new idea. It was around since '50s. A minor, self-clan interest-seeking Soomaalis supported then, led by marxuum C/qaadir Soobe. He spent his political career in '50s and '60s espousing this very idea, even going as far as to Qaramada Midoobay's General Assembly in '50s. He wasn't successful. Neither will this time.

People and lands opt for federalism for reasons known, such as great landmass that separates people within a country, ethnic divisions, religious divisions, language divisions -- Soomaalis, as far as we know, do not have any of these divisive issues. Clan issue is nothing close to that.

MMA - the era for dictation is over. If certain ppl inhabiting a certain region wish this - you nor anyone else is able to legitimately oppose it. Similarly if another ppl inhabiting another region wish to be governed by Xamar directly - I don't oppose it but unlike I won't dictate their governing choice to them.

BTW - what's the difference between BC and Alberta or North and South Dakota in terms of the criteria you cited? Come on.

Carafaat   

ElPunto, I told you why federalism cant work in Somalia and will have a paralyzing effect. But you closed your eyes for those arguments and I am telling you to open your eyes, these are new times which need new solutions. What was a solution for Puntland in 1998, is not a solution for the rest of Somalia in 2013!

If Mogadishu with 16 districts can have a unified administration, so can Mudug, so can Galkacyo, so can any other region in Somalia. No need to redraw the borders of Somalia according to clan. It wont solve anything, except create an ungovernable country in which regions act as if they are countries.

Kenya, a land with 43,000,000 people and 47 tribes, plus in as many languages, did not opt for federalism after a long process. Their final option? Decentralized unitary state, which they implemented.

Our neighbour is doing that should give us a pause, tell us to take off the clan-interest ookiyaal some are wearing. Let it not blind you.

And what is federalism about if one has its own army, marine, flag, printing its own currency, sending and receiving international envoys without notification or coordination from the central state. Or if one invites a known occupier of Soomaali land. What in name of federalism in that is federal?

ElPunto   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;946537 wrote:
Kenya, a land with 43,000,000 people and 47 tribes, plus in as many languages, did not opt for federalism after a long process. Their final option? Decentralized unitary state, which they implemented.

Our neighbour is doing that should give us a pause, tell us to take off the clan-interest ookiyaal some are wearing. Let it not blind you.

And what is federalism about if one has its own army, marine, flag, printing its own currency, sending and receiving international envoys without notification or coordination from the central state. Or if one invites a known occupier of Soomaali land. What in name of federalism in that is federal?

This is the problem when you are so caught up in a position you can't analyze it objectively. Everyone has flags from states, cities to organizations. It doesn't mean that much. Many sub-national states have armies and troops - nothing new. Printing its own currency? - presumably PL here - in the absence of a central bank - and individual businessmen printing currency in the south - why begrudge them of printing currency? I think you should concentrate on trying to ensure Somali federalism works like it does in Canada - not coming with meritless reasons to oppose the system altogether.

Lets not confuse matters; current federal constitution makes clear separation of duty . There are responsibilities only federal government could carry out such as a) foreign affairs of the country, b) defense, c) matters relating naturalization i.e. passports, & d) fiscal matters i.e.currency

There are pending efforts that should have been carried out by current parliament to integrate armed forces of existing federal states like Jubbaland. But the federal government is busy aborting the system not advancing it hence the confusion

Carafaat   

Printing money, bringing foreign troops, conspiring with foreign countries against the own Government, multiple administrations in the same cities/regions, signing oil/mineral contracts with foreign countries, deporting Somalis from one region to another, redrawing the maps according to clan lines. For sure Federalism, as many pending issues and impracticalities. :D

I am out y'all.

It should not also surprise anyone that some folks are interested in advancing governance while others are not so prone to accepting governance and authority thus the endless roadblocks against any systems ...

Carafaat   

Xiinfaniin, the clan road blocks in Mogadishu have been removed. Its a diffrent situation now. there are only government security checks now. lets not put up new clan road blocks(or militias/admins) but let us remove them from the rest of the country. :D