Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Ganad Public Library, Hargeisa, Somaliland

Carafaat;945380 wrote:
:D
that's a bakhaar along 'wadada Calafka'. Meeshaad ka qarabatid, you remember.

its on the same road as your family. you know.....the one we had the big casumad that time....:P

Chimera;945399 wrote:
That's a pretty sweet building, Alphy, though small, but go for it. (You need to landscape it though, some greenery and flower pots wouldn't hurt.)

thanks, inaar.

the building is ideal. its on a busy street and i think it has plenty of space for the library (remember this is a small project). we spoke to the owner of the warehouse yesterday and he'll get back to us on Saturday. if all goes well. i'll move the books and little furniture i have so far there ASAP. i think this will help with the donations and contributions.....i reckon, it'll be better to start the library, even if its basic....then i can show the contributors around and stuff. i think people are more likely to get involved with something 'tangible' than mere speculative plans.

i like your idea of having plants. i'll be sure to do this.

nuune;945416 wrote:
^^ The building is right beside the road, don't you think traffic passing by would dhisrabt/dhistarakt the readers, I will not recommend this building until
Alpha
tells us that it is not on the roadside.

The building is ok, just needs little bit of health and safety in mind, you can't have all people trapped if fire breaks up and you have metal windows with no exit access as can be seen from the picture.

On the brighter side, if
Alpha
goes ahead with the library thing, I have few ideas to add to this(cloud computing for the customers would be using the library computers: one main host server computer connected to dozens of monitors and in between them small client cloud computing(the idea is to minimize hardware/power consumption/electrical faults, so the main host server computer will need little maintenance, the rest, pretty much nothing, hence, the costs to run this are kept minimum))

+1

Nuune,

every little helps bro. at this early stage, i'm all ears ee sida uula soco. ;)

Reeyo   

I've always liked that old Egyptian building near the Governmental buildings as an ideal place for a library. But that places looks good too Alpha. Knock down some walls and let in some light if you are able.

Safferz;945645 wrote:
$30 a month for a librarian? Those aren't labour costs, that is slavery lol

these will be hired on a volunteering basis. a small stipend will be given to them to cover their travel expenses and food. especially at this early stage....be realistic Saffzoow, inaar.

don't pollute the thread with negativity. otherwise, i'll ABANDON the entire project. :o

also, maybe you could come to the library (when you next visit) and help us set up a Dewey Classification System for the books. you know you want to...:P

Safferz   

You need a full-time librarian (or part-time, depending on library hours) that you pay properly, and you can't expect the librarian to also be a watchman. Volunteers can help out but you can't depend on them to run the entire library, and it's important to have at least one paid staff person who is always around. How will you cover the operating costs btw?

Good luck Alpha, you know I feel strongly about the lack of libraries and inaccessibility of books in Hargeisa so I hope you pull this off :) And I will certainly visit.

Safferz;945650 wrote:
You need a full-time librarian (or part-time, depending on library hours) that you pay properly, and you can't expect the librarian to also be a watchman. Volunteers can help out but you can't depend on them to run the entire library, and
it's important to have at least one paid staff person who is always around
. How will you cover the operating costs btw?

Good luck Alpha, you know I feel strongly about the lack of libraries and inaccessibility of books in Hargeisa so I hope you pull this off
:)
And I will certainly visit.

did you forget about the CHIEF LIBRARIAN, FOUNDER & CEO?......(hint - the person behind Alpha B...ee sida uula soco.....:cool:)

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945652 wrote:
did you forget about the
CHIEF LIBRARIAN, FOUNDER & CEO
?......(hint - the person behind Alpha B...ee sida uula soco.....:cool:)

So put yourself in the budget, unless you plan on leaving your current job to work for free.

Safferz;945650 wrote:

Good luck Alpha, you know I feel strongly about the lack of libraries and inaccessibility of books in Hargeisa so I hope you pull this off
:)
And I will certainly visit.

can you establish a connection between your uni and the library? i'm sure they could help in some capacity. we'll take whatever they could offer.....old books, sponsorship, a relationship/connection of sorts.....ANYTHING....it's worth trying and if you need paperwork, perhaps, i could email you the proposal i've written? :confused:

Safferz;945653 wrote:
So put yourself in the budget, unless you plan on leaving your current job to work for free.

i'll be volunteering too and as much as that $30 is attracting my attention....I COULNT, inaar. my job is fairly flexible and i could afford to spend plenty of time in the library...provided there's internet connection...:P but i'm not putting a CENT of my money into this mashruuc..... walahi.:o

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;945656 wrote:
can you establish a connection between your uni and the library? i'm sure they could help in some capacity. we'll take whatever they could offer.....old books, sponsorship, a relationship/connection of sorts.....ANYTHING....it's worth trying and if you need paperwork, perhaps, i could email you the proposal i've written? :confused:

Hmm I think what they do are institutional partnerships with other universities, not regular libraries (and even though you've called it a public library, it's technically private since it's not government funded). I think what you need to do is reach out to the Hargeisa local government and perhaps the ministry of education in SL for funding, and NGOs (ie. Books For Africa) to help you get materials.

xabad   

la xawla, even madmen are building libararies in hargeisa now. what next ?? goats as ulema :D