Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

Classic Somali literature

Wadani   

SomaliPhilosopher;946709 wrote:
No probs safferz. i am sure you realized there are other parts to the program. you know i am realizing the entire Somali history can be learned through Somali poetry everything from the womans plight to the colonial struggle. if i had a say in the future history curriculum of the country I would use poetry and literature to tell the story of the Somali people.

The bulk of what comprises the canon of mainstream Somali poetry has been composed by men from a specific region and from specific clans. Unless the poetry and artistic expression of all the regions in all its varied and colloquial forms are given the academic and mainstream attention they r due, Somali poetry cannot serve as a repository for the collective history and lived experiences of the Somali people as a whole.

Safferz   

SP didn't say just canonical, mainstream poetry, but Somali poetry as a whole, which is not limited to men or to specific regions and clans. They may not be as well known, but they are there :)

Wadani;946729 wrote:
The bulk of what comprises the canon of mainstream Somali poetry has been composed by men from a specific region and from specific clans.
Unless the poetry and artistic expression of all the regions in all its varied and colloquial forms are given the academic and mainstream attention they r due,
Somali poetry cannot serve as a repository for the collective history and lived experiences of the Somali people as a whole.

That would be part of what I would suggest

Safferz;946732 wrote:
SP didn't say just canonical, mainstream poetry, but Somali poetry as a whole, which is not limited to men or to specific regions and clans. They may not be as well known, but they are there
:)

Yupp