Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Somaliland president Ahmed Siilaanyo departs for Britain+PICS

NGONGE   

Xaaji Xunjuf;916008 wrote:
Not going to happen
, if Siilaanyo and his goverment agree to attend they will lose all credibility with in the SL public, unless the Brits come with alternative for Somaliland and Somalia. The conference doesn't even concern Somaliland because the agenda is 95% about Somalia. And Somaliland and Somalia will not hold their talks in London at the conference. We will shortly know.

That's what some people said about the London Conference last year. Yet Somaliland did attend and the conditions for its attendance were put in place to allow it to distance itself from the rest of Somalia. Furthermore, it managed to get a deal on "talks" between it and Somalia. If they do attend this upcoming conference, I expect it to fall into similar lines and the issue about the talks to be clarified further to appease the naysayers in SL.

This elder generation of Somali's are a complete joke. They despised the deceased dictator Siyad Barre, yet all of them are carbon copies of his style. The Somalia idea of protocol once again is a joke. The way a leader stands on a podium looking the fool, the entire government arrives to greet them at the airport -- this could be Hargeisa, Garowe or Mogadishu, yet the story is always the same.

Embarrassing.

^^What is your objection to Somalis talking to each other?

A) Because there is no identifiable neutral third party

B) You don't trust or think the other side is worthy of been talked to yet

C) You don't have confidence in team Silaanyo

D) You think total secession is unattainable thru talks with other Somalis

E) All or combinations of the above

NGONGE   

Guru,

Are you free now? I think that phone call is long overdue. Plus, I need to talk some sense into you warya. :D

As for what you say there; well, there really nothing much I could say about your worries and unease (for that's all it is).

The bottom line here is that at no stage did SL declare, announce or even hint at a wish to rejoin Somalia. The SL government has been clear that it is engaging in the talks to engineer a civil option of parting the ways with Somalia. However, since these are talks to clarify the relationship and since the "other side" still have hope of bringing SL back to the fold, it should come as no surprise to you that some Somalis will talk about the end of SL as an independent nation.

They will talk about working together to fight terror and piracy. They will talk about helping each other in certain areas and they will talk about sharing lessons in democratic processes and what not. But when it comes to Somalia being one nation, the SL delegation will shrug and refer the Somalis to the demand that you, I and every Somalilander had for the past twenty one years.

Meesho maqaaxi maaha, saaxib. It's not the Imam's silly tantrums about being Somali one day and wanting to breakaway the next. SL professes to be an independent, democratic and organised nation. It claims to be ahead of Somalia when it comes to political maturity and practice. Therefore, it has to act the part and show that it is willing to do anything and everything when it comes to working together. It needs to openly display its flexibility and wisdom. It needs to appease all observers by proving to them that this quest for independence is not born out of the whim of a few fickle characters and that there is no going back on SL's secession.

You really need to stop panicking every time Somalia gets something positive going its way. You also have to remember that this is a nation being brought back from the dead and that only such positive actions will help it sustain itself on the road to recovery. But, none of that has much to do with the TALKS between the two sides nor does it change the SL stance. Only you and I can do that.

Guru' date='

Are you free now? I think that phone call is long overdue. Plus, I need to talk some sense into you warya. :D

As for what you say there; well, there really nothing much I could say about your worries and unease (for that's all it is).

The bottom line here is that at no stage did SL declare, announce or even hint at a wish to rejoin Somalia. The SL government has been clear that it is engaging in the talks to engineer a civil option of parting the ways with Somalia. However, since these are talks to clarify the relationship and since the "other side" still have hope of bringing SL back to the fold, it should come as no surprise to you that some Somalis will talk about the end of SL as an independent nation.

They will talk about working together to fight terror and piracy. They will talk about helping each other in certain areas and they will talk about sharing lessons in democratic processes and what not. But when it comes to Somalia being one nation, the SL delegation will shrug and refer the Somalis to the demand that you, I and every Somalilander had for the past twenty one years.

Meesho maqaaxi maaha, saaxib. It's not the Imam's silly tantrums about being Somali one day and wanting to breakaway the next. SL professes to be an independent, democratic and organised nation. It claims to be ahead of Somalia when it comes to political maturity and practice. Therefore, it has to act the part and show that it is willing to do anything and everything when it comes to working together. It needs to openly display its flexibility and wisdom. It needs to appease all observers by proving to them that this quest for independence is not born out of the whim of a few fickle characters and that there is no going back on SL's secession.

You really need to stop panicking every time Somalia gets something positive going its way. You also have to remember that this is a nation being brought back from the dead and that only such positive actions will help it sustain itself on the road to recovery. But, none of that has much to do with the TALKS between the two sides nor does it change the SL stance. Only you and I can do that.[/QUOTE']

:D :D - It is the only way the guru wax ku fahmo - ee wax fahan

Oodweyne;916280 wrote:
^^
Sayid

Saaxiib, I think, another turn in
"changing"
your script user-name is in order in here. Hence, go back to the cupboard and bring another one out in here, particularly, one that has a the smell of a
"Shisha-smoking"
all over it..
:D

:D :D

I never, ever created or even tempted to create a script user-name in here. I also don't smoke shiisha - waan ku qufacaa belayada . One and Only Sayid here.

P.s. I was being serious with my questions earlier as to why you object to the talks - Alas, I forgot about the bolding part :D

The Guru is worried ,,, I think he has been depending on UDUB too much for that he cannot stand alone now and get along with the changing policies .... :D

To Ngonge:

Nin ku yidhi sinnaan mayno

Adna buri sarrayntiisa

Sidka waa wadaagtaane

Ma sagaashan baa tiisu

(also an apt response to your 'airplane watcher' handle from the other thread) :D

As for this topic as far as it concerns talks between Somalis, I think a proper Somali government would be best advised to directly campaign with the populace of the breakaway regions in convincing them their best interest in the long term is served by the union and if not they remain unconvinced they should be respected and a common ground negotiated to ensure a brotherly working relationship. During this campaign also their representatives should be talked with and I believe the pressure (from the public) on the representatives would be reduced, so as for them to come to viable conclusion to the whole saga.

As a pragmatic person (nevertheless a unionist), my opinion on this situation is formed on the basis that the principle of SL stances is underpinned by the citizens of that place’s strong desire to have an independent state regardless of whether their economic, power and other considerations are best served under union with rest of the Somalia, as alluded to by many ardent SL supporters in here before, is true and as eloquently put in this article.

Ummaddii iyagu is-aqoonsani; Aqoonsi kale waxba kalama maqna!/

Jacaylbaro;916292 wrote:
The Guru is worried ,,, I think he has been depending on UDUB too much for that he cannot stand alone now and get along with the changing policies ....

In comes our SM weasel friend to assist

The Sage   

NGONGE;916275 wrote:

You really need to stop panicking every time Somalia gets something positive going its way. You also have to remember that this is a nation being brought back from the dead and that only such positive actions will help it sustain itself on the road to recovery. But, none of that has much to do with the TALKS between the two sides nor does it change the SL stance. Only you and I can do that.

I wholeheartedly agree. We need to realize that this is not a zero sum game and if we need to show our political maturity and advancement then we need to act as a trusted partner with whom nations can rely on in bilateral and multilateral relationships.

Although our resident "Classical Realist" the guru may beg to differ, since he see's situations like the one presented as a threat rather than an opportunity to advance Somaliland's interests. I'm sure Bismarck would say the same as well.