Sign in to follow this  
Dhagax-Tuur

If you are not touched...

The following is written by a freelance writer. I don't know and I cannot tell you how they've done their research, but this is the info they presented on the subject very succinctly.

It's only natural for a parent to want to hold their newborn baby, but do you know what happens if an infant is not held or touched? Believe it or not, they die. Now, I realize that it is unlikely any parent would purposely neglect touching their infant, but some parents are hesitant to pick their baby up too frequently.

The fact is, you can't touch or hold your infant too much. The more skin-to-skin contact they receive, the better. This is especially true at the early developmental stages. Infants who do not receive any skin-to-skin contact within the first few days or weeks of being born are at the greatest risk for health problems as a result.

The Benefits of Skin-to-Skin Contact

There are numerous benefits of skin-to-skin contact for newborn babies. Studies have found that infants who are touched frequently are more relaxed and sleep better because they produce less of the stress-hormone cortisol. Infants who are touched also begin breastfeeding more easily and gain weight and grow faster than infants that are not touched enough.

Why is Touch So Important?

The reason why touch is so important to newborn babies is actually quite simple: When a mother first picks up her newborn baby, a chain reaction of hormones are set off in the infants body. These hormones are responsible for triggering all of the benefits mentioned above. If an infant is not touched enough in the early stages of development, they will not go through the necessary hormonal changes they need to be healthy, both physically and psychologically.

Do Both Parents Have to Touch the Infant?

It is not absolutely necessary for both the mother and father to touch the infant in order for it to be healthy and survive, but both parents should. It is not uncommon for the mother to touch and hold their baby more than the father, but the father's touch is still very important, especially for forming a bond between the parent and child.

What Happens if an Infant is Never Touched?

The answer to this is quite simple:
Eventually, the child will die.
I know it sounds hard to believe but this is a fact. If an infant is completely deprived of skin-to-skin contact, they will die from
marasmus
, which is basically a severe form of malnutrition. In fact, in certain cases, doctors have been able to reverse marasmus simply by moving the infant into a more nurturing environment.

How Much Touching is Necessary?

There is no exact measurement of touching that is considered adequate or necessary, but you should at least touch your infant several times per day. You don't always have to pick them up and hold them, either. The most important thing is that it is skin-to-skin contact, which can be as simple as rubbing their forehead or brushing their cheeks with your fingers.

There is also a published info on the subject and can be read on the link below, it seems to come to the same conclusion:

Also check at Wellspring.com article on the subject quoting 1920's US research on the subject.

Salaam.

NGONGE   

Dhagax-Tuur;912885 wrote:
...as an infant, when you're born, you will die". Just ponder.

That true statement left me dumbfounded.

If you ever happen to have child born prematurely, please do make sure you caress their head when they're in the incubator. It makes a lot difference in their survival.

Just passing it on.

You could have written the above in a much better way or else it's all stuff and nonsense really.

nuune;913254 wrote:
^^ Considering you grew up at the streets of London and the market at Leicester, maxaa iga shan iyo toban is totally strange to you, that is very strange itself, your lack of exposure to anything Somali is noted, well in your teenage dayz, and now, but have you ever heard of this:

- Waa danahaaga iyo howlaha maraakiibta

- Siddi qurjuc khadija warsame mainly used by women, you say this with your thumb hold against your qadaad or the side of your head like you are killing an injir(lice) or qindhicil

- Qalam jalam aadan faarax, used by men to replly to the qurjuc qurjuc, you say this with your left foot held up like you are taking a free-kick, once you do that, the woman who earlier said qurjuc qurjuc will run away from haraatidaada ama lugtaada kor u taagan

Let me tell you the first one, it is exactly as that of maxaa iga shan iyo toban ah, but with emphasis on the person you are talking to by telling him/her, that is up to you, or it doesn't concern me at all, bal translate that into English, literal that is what I want you to do.

Nuune,

why have you made it your life's mission to other me and make me look like the ''caano boodhe fed qurbo kids'' . please stop these defamation. i'm very much an insider of the Somali ways, these days. i use somali maahmaah's all the time. not to mention, my knowledge of the somali culture and literature being at an all time high.

- Waa danahaaga iyo howlaha maraakiibta - these are your problems and the complex nature of ships or i don't care.

- Siddi qurjuc khadija warsame - ?

- Qalam jalam aadan faarax - ?

can you translate the following for me and perhaps provide an explanation of how they came about.

- am i the crazy one or are they signing in aden

- the fox who ate the family's animals, said ''a certain family, i know will never move''

- the mule that feeds with horses, think itself a horse

- ina weeysa cadoow, the tiny dirt within the fingernails, is not up for borrowing.