Sign in to follow this  
SeeKer

USMLE Takers and Docs in NA

SeeKer   

I am hoping there are some docs and med students in the forum. I am wondering if there are any who have taken the USMLE in the past few years. If so, how much preparations were there? length of studying? how long the results took to come back? Did results reflect effort?

For the more established docs, how have you aided young somali medical students into securing residency positions in excellent hospitals?

Looking online I ran across the somali doc association but there wasn't any information in regards to their work in the communities. So I am hoping this will help me in securing answers quickly

SeeKer   

Lets not derail the topic Alpha shall we? I was pointing out the fallacy in the poster's logic and I would like to leave it at that please. SOL topics have a way of disintegrating into nothingness and I would rather prefer this one doesn't cause it could be potentially useful for the youth.

^ LOL@Seeker,

my presence on 'your cry for help' seems to have unsettled you. i don't think it fair you single me out as a troller derailing your pathetic thread!

on the topic itself - go to africa and get the necessary experiences and skill-sets!

SeeKer   

^Point taken Alpha. I'll file it away in the necessary spot.

Che lol @ only know one kid and he a dentist. I wonder who :P . I am still on track but I was speaking to a few friends and I was hoping to poll the malis in the vicinity. The live ones have given their take but I need to remove my bias so I need online view points too. How are things in your end anyways? He perfeccionado vuestra espanoles?

Coofle   

As you know USMLE is 3 steps exam...Step 1, Step 2 CS, Step 2 CK and Step 3. ... Last Time I checked.

generally if your are active in healthcare step 2 and step 3 are a breeze and only 6 months of intensive preparation is enough, given the fact that you are familiar with the right place to study from. don't waste time reading fat textbooks (e.g Bailey & love or Davidson) Just the small review books , Kaplan or any other programs will do, Medicine is the same but you have to be familiar with the American guidelines (If studied in a school which doesn't follow it)

Step 1 is the troublesome one, For a newly graduate doctor or a medical student overseas 6 months of intensive studying will make sure to get good grades and I know many who scored above 90th percentile by just reading focused review books. (First Aid ,but you need to revise it many times + Kaplan DVDs) ...For someone who graduated many years ago, presumably they have forget many Basic knowledge (Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology etc) and brushing off the dust may take some time, plus assuming one is working it will take up to 9 months to year.

If your sole purpose is just passing you will need less time than what I mentioned. but if you are planning to enroll in the residency program and matching process given you are an international Medical school graduate (IMG) its recommended you score above the 90th percentile.

for the exam fees and time you can check out their website.

Personally I did not take the exam yet, but I am hoping to do so Inshalah. I have many friends who did it and got excellent results.

Finding a decent residency is difficult (Opthalmo, ENT, Dermatology, Neuro, Gen.Surgery) but other programs are easy to get (Internal Medicine , Pediatrics etc) if you insist on landing a Minor specialty you will need Excellent grades both in your undergrad & USMLE and tons of Recommendations plus many other things.

PS...Many people in this forum and successful people but they just drop in here to have some good cyber time may be out of being lonely or anti-social, We have doctors, Engineers, lawyers etc....Sheiks, Terrorists and political quacks are also abundant.

lol@Seeker, he's not related to me but there are some docs but in different city. I haven't been keeping with my Spanish but it looks like I will be soon in position where I have to learn.

Che -Guevara;897644 wrote:
Wow, you are already done. Unfortunately, I don't know any Somali docs in Boston. I know one kid but he's dentist.

LoL I think dentist are doctors too. Back when I lived in Minnesota I use to know this Somali girl who went to school for nursing, but would get upset with you if u didn't call her a doctor. And then there was this Somali guy who worked at CVS as a pharmist, but liked to pretend he was a surgeon. LoL that kid was delusional.