Sign in to follow this  
DoctorKenney

The deep-rooted problems within Somali society.

N.O.R.F   

Just let things happen beebal. It will be slow but it is what it. Accept it and you're halfway there. Many countries have been stagnant in terms of political progress and are only now maturing into more of a representative make up (Libya, Yemen, egypt etc). Just realise that things won't be as you wish in your lifetime. Makes things easier.

Or, you can all move there and change things :)

I thought it might be appropriate to resurrect this thread from the dead...

Note: The Facts on the ground have changed considerably in the last 2 years since I wrote this. And I know I was wrong on a couple of assessments, but the basic message of what I'm saying here still applies today.

Tallaabo   

I had hoped education would be the antidote for tribalism but unfortunately I have learned that the educated Somalis are the worst tribalists. Then I thought Islam would come to our rescue until I realised that Somalis have mastered the art abusing the religion for their own ugly agenda. Then I gave democracy a chance until I found out that Somaliland defiled this system beyond redemption. I gave up on Somalis.

<cite>
said:</cite>

I had hoped education would be the antidote for tribalism but unfortunately I have learned that the educated Somalis are the worst tribalists. Then I thought Islam would come to our rescue until I realised that Somalis have mastered the art abusing the religion for their own ugly agenda. Then I gave democracy a chance until I found out that Somaliland defiled this system beyond redemption. I gave up on Somalis.

None of these various approaches would have any lasting effects unless we create a bottoms-up approach to creating a Somali nation.

It has to start from the villages, and then to the regions, and then to the nation. That's the only possible way we can do it.

Somalia exists on paper, but it doesn't exist on the ground. And all of these failed politicians with PhD's and tribal mentalities are only making these problems worse.

Tallaabo   

<cite>
said:</cite>

None of these various approaches would have any lasting effects unless we create a bottoms-up approach to creating a Somali nation.

It has to start from the villages, and then to the regions, and then to the nation. That's the only possible way we can do it.

Somalia exists on paper, but it doesn't exist on the ground. And all of these failed politicians with PhD's and tribal mentalities are only making these problems worse.

How can you create a nation from the bottom up when you have neither the means necessary for such a task nor the allies you need to help you do it?

The obstacles are many and include these:

1. Poverty

2. Ignorance

3. Illiteracy

4. Entrenched clan system

5. Broken society

6. The legacy of civil war and the hate and mistrust it created.

7. Enemies within and around

8. Violence

9. Corruption

10. Nepotism

Read my thread Tallaabo, I've already explained this.

You get 100 or so men, who are allied to each other and who have the exact same mindset. You take these men, and you scatter them across Somalia, based on what their tribal origin is.

So a Xawadle man would go to a Xawadle village and live with his people. A Dhulbahante man would move to a Dhulbahante village. A Sacaad man would move to a Sacaad village, etc. You spread them out all over Somalia.

Now these men, who come from different tribal backgrounds, must all have the same mindset and they should be allied with each other. And they should live amongst their people, educating them, helping set up institutions and being a model of honesty and good governance. The local people would trust you since you already come from their sub-clan, but they'd grow to trust you even MORE when they realize how much of an asset you are to their community. Make yourself indispensable. Make yourself valuable to their community. After some time, the people will grow to love you more than they love their clan politicians or clan elders, who will eventually lose credibility in the eyes of the people. You go after the little children, you change their mindset, mold them, nurture them.

Remember, you're trying to change the culture of the people here. That takes years.

Once you gain credibility, setting up a civil administration should be very easy. You can set up a local city council, provide services to the people, and eventually call your Somali allies who live in other villages and eventually set up regional governments.

Once you set up a regional government, you gradually set up a National Government. And by that time, the young boys who you've helped influence and teach, will have grown to full-grown adult men, who could be the future soldiers, policemen, politicians, and judges of the Somali State.

Most of Somalia is peaceful anyways. It's not like the residents of Hobyo or Taleex are dying by the thousands. Somalia is not Iraq. But this project does require a lot of sacrifice, and these men would have to be prepared to sacrifice their comfortable livelihood to go live in the worst conditions. And for the Somalis who aren't willing to live in these villages, then they should contribute a portion of their incomes to finance this project. If they send several thousands dollars per year, to each Somali man stationed in a village, and this Somali man uses these funds to feed himself, but at the same time provide services to the people, then this would be ideal.

You'd need Somali workers in Canada and the USA financing this project, and Somali men in Somali villages to actually carry this project out.