Sign in to follow this  
nemo

Questions!!

nemo   

Assalamu Calaykum everyone

I always have questions about Islam and the prophets but don’t know who to ask as I don’t attend many lectures on Islam these days. And am always embarrassed to ask the maclim at the dugsi. So what a better way to ask then here. This post is for those questions that you don’t know who to ask and hopefully our brothers and sisters that are more knowledgably in this area should share their wisdom with us. Inshallah.

I will start, the other day was just thinking about the prophet Mohamed peace and blessing be upon him. I know the prophet had 11 wifes and you can only have four wifes at a time in Islam. So just wondering did the prophet peace and blessing be upon him every divorced his wifes or did some die and then got remarried? I asked someone briefly the other day and they said something new I never heard in my life. They said that in the religion you can have woman and not be married if she is not a Muslim. And that the prophet peace and blessing be upon him had women that he was not married to, and they were not Muslims. I was going to ask more about it but because of the situation we were in didn’t and kept it to my self.

Am every interested in this so if anyone hows my two questions can you please answer it with hadith and references would be good. As I don’t want any thing that is not within the religion. I will refresh your mind about what the questions were. First did the prophet ever got divorced and can a Muslim man have other women he is not married to that are not Muslims?

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

I'm not really knowledgeable, but I think i know the answer to this question and insha Allah I'll do my best to share it. (correct me if i'm wrong insha Allah)

The Prophet Alayhi Salaam was married to only Khadija Radiya Allahu Anha from the time he was 25 years old till she passed away when he was around 50.

He then married Aisha Radiya Allahu Anha, and Sawda bintu Zam'a. Among his wives were also Hafsa Bintu Omar ibn Al Khatab, Zaynab bintu Khuzayma (died 3 months after he married her), Ummu Salama Hind Bintu Umaya, Zaynab Bintu Jahsh, Juwayriya Bintu AlHarith, Ummu Habiba Bintu Abi Sufyan, Safiya Bintu Huyay, Maymuna Bintu AlHarith (not Juwayriya's sister) Radiya Allah Anhum.

Of all of those, Safiya bintu Huyay was not Muslim when he married her, she was Jewish, she was a slave since her people lost the battle of Khaybar she was enslaved, the Rasool alayhi salaam freed her and married her. But later on she accepted Islam.

Mariya AlQubtiya was given to as a gift from Coptics of Egypt. She gave birth to his son Ibrahim who died at a young age like all the sons of the Rasool alayhi salaam.

The Rasool alayhi salaam also married Asma' Bintu Nu'man AlKandiya and Amra Bintu Yazeed but he divorced them before consummating the marriage.

At the time of his death, I think the Rasool Alayhi Salaam had 9 wives at the same time. The prophet was allowed, FROM ALLAH, to have more than four wives. This is because he was the Prophet, and many of those marriages had political and social reasons. For example, Allah commanded the Rasool to marry Zaynab bintu Jahsh after Zayd bin Thabit divorced her. Zayd was the prophet’s son by adoption. The Arabs at the time considered the adopted son as if he was a natural son and his wife would become haram to the father just like the natural son. This marriage of the Prophet to Zaynab destroyed that belief and Allah mentions it in Surat al Ahzab.

To answer your question, yes the prophet did divorce those two women. There was a reason, i only know that one of them he divorced her because she was new to Islam and she told the prophet Authu Bilaah Mink. The other one i dont know exactly, my notes say Physical defect with her.

For the second part of your question, Muslim men are allowed to marry Kitabi women (Jewish and Christian) who are pious, virgin, and practicing Jewish or Christian. This is not just keeping her, it is actual marriage. The way i understood it is that it is discouraged in the land of the Kufaar. Also, a man can have sexual relations with his slave woman without marriage. The children he has with her are legitimate. If she, however, has another husband, then he can not touch her. Hope that helped insha Allah.

The prophet alayhi salaam only had one mother; Amina bintu Wahb (this is only logical). But he had a Murdica, Haleema Assa'diya, she breast fed him.

Fii Amaani'Laah

nemo   

Thanks that makes much more sense. But still one little question can a Muslim guy nowadays have children with non Muslim lady if he is not married to her. For example you said when the battle finished at the prophet’s “peace and blessing be upon him†time he had non Muslim lady that he had children with without marriage. Or is that method of practice out-of-date now.

Khalaf   

Yaa Allah…this is why you should learn diinta the right way…don’t be mad at me sis….um just giving u advice….the best way to learn Islam is in the madarrassa/dugsi…not on online fourms(don’t take what ppl say for truth without researching it yourself from those who have knowledge)….and don’t be too shy to learn your religion in dugsi…two ppl never learn shy person…and proud person. Under no circumstance does this great religion allow sexual relations outside of marriage….it is forbidden….only halal way is marriage…end of story. And the Prophet(saw)….never had relations without marriage bisinka…my dear sister….don’t be confused….attend your dugsi learn from your maclain….that is best source. That is advice….i am not attacking u sis.

salaamun

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

To my knowledge if a man has a slave woman he can have sexual relations with her. That is in the Quran:

وَالَّذÙينَ Ù‡Ùمْ Ù„ÙÙÙرÙوجÙÙ‡ÙمْحَاÙÙظÙونَ

And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts from illegal sexual acts). (Al-Ma'arij 70:29)

Ø¥Ùلَّا عَلَى أَزْوَاجÙÙ‡Ùمْ أَوْ مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانÙÙ‡ÙمْÙÙŽØ¥ÙنَّهÙمْ غَيْر٠مَلÙومÙينَ

Except with their wives and the (women slaves and captives) whom their right hands possess, for (then) they are not to be blamed, (Al-Ma'arij 70:30).

Also sister, you can refer to the Sealed Nectar, which is a biography of the Prophet alayhi salaam, you can find it at any islamic book store. If not, click on this link insha Allah.

http://www.dar-us-salam.com/store/004.html

I agree with you brother Khalaf that we should learn our deen. Not only from the internet and forums, but legitimately by reading the books of the notable scholars and attending regular classes on Aqeeda, Seerah and the stuff. There are many lectures available online that you can always download on your mp3, ipod, or burn to cds and listen to them while commuting in your car. There are Islamic universities around the world and some are even in our own backyard and we dont even know about them. There is also nothing wrong with discussing a topic on the forums, a lot of people learn this way if those answering cite their postings. I did not do that because it's something I know, i've taken this in an actual class about marriage in Islam and read it in the Seerah books.

The Prophet Alayhi Salaam DID NOT marry Mariyah al Qubtiya, she was his concubine, his slave, she was given to him as a gift from Egypt. She also gave birth to his son Ibrahim who died at the age of four. So it is okay to have slaves, and it is okay for a man to have sexual relations with his slave woman.

As for nowadayz, I don't see how that is possible since we don't fight wars with nonMuslims and slavery has been abolished in many countries. Will someone more knowledgeable explain this insha Allah and site sources to correct me if I'm wrong.

Fii Amaani'Laah

Khalaf   

Honesita sis,

how can u say this true….when Islam strongly forbids adultery? And u associate that with the nabi(saw)...subhanallah. I don't buy it. and i am not knowledgable in this...thus can't explain it.

salaamun

hodman   

^^ Khalaf the sister is right why don't you do a little research yourself. Nobody is attributing adultery to the prophet (SAW)

Investigate what it means in the qURAN

Except with their wives and the (women slaves and captives) whom their right hands possess, for (then) they are not to be blamed, (Al-Ma'arij 70:30).

infact read the tafsir of this whole Sura

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

Khalifa, subhanna Allah brother. Please do not argue about something you have no firm knowledge of. I agree that you have the right to disagree with me if you are not familiar with an issue I'm talking about. But that does not give you the right to assume I'm saying something so evil about our Prophet Alayhi Salaam.

Please read the following and insha Allah you will benefit from it.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?QR=20085&ln=eng

and also,

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ln=eng&QR=10382

Fii Amaani'Laah

Castro   

Originally posted by Honesita:

To my knowledge if a man has a slave woman he can have sexual relations with her. That is in the Quran:

You're misunderstanding the verse atheer. There's no sex outside of marriage in Islam. Slave or not.

Honesita   

Originally posted by Castro:

quote:Originally posted by Honesita:

You're misunderstanding the verse atheer. There's no sex outside of marriage in Islam. Slave or not.
Salaamu Aleeykum

That is your opinion. I have cited something legitimate backing my statement. It is up to you to follow an opinion or knowledge.

Fii Amaani'Laah

Fii Amaani'Laah

Khalaf   

Originally posted by Honesita:

Salaamu Aleeykum

Khalifa, subhanna Allah brother. Please do not argue about something you have no firm knowledge of. I agree that you have the right to disagree with me if you are not familiar with an issue I'm talking about. But that does not give you the right to assume I'm saying something so evil about our Prophet Alayhi Salaam.

Please read the following and insha Allah you will benefit from it.

and also,

Fii Amaani'Laah

My sister….pardon me if you thought I was accusing u of saying something evil of the prophet(saw)…is not what I meant. U have stated strong statements…which I disagreed…yes I may not have knowledge on that matter….but I know this much sis….and that Is Muhmmad(saw) is the best of mankind….Islam is mercy to mankind…thus I doubt your statements….â€salve women†“booty†of war kept as concubines. The only verse in the Quran which deals with the matter is this…..it says marry sister. Thus marriage is required…u can not have intercourse without marriage....and Allah knows best.

The Verse:

“And if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly with the orphan girls then marry (other) women of your choice, two or three, or four; but if you fear that you shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one or (slaves) that your right hands possess. That is nearer to prevent you from doing injusticeâ€

[al-Nisa’ 4:3]

^^^^Marry comes first sister.

Honesita   

Salaamu Aleeykum

Khalaf...walaalo when a man has a slave woman, he does not have to marry her to have sexual relations with her. According to the link (and many other sources of Seerah) i've posted above, PLEASE READ IT, the Prophet Alayhi Salaam and many of the Sahaba did practice this. Sayyidna Ibrahim Alayhi Salaam did as well. There was nooooo marriage between Muhammad Alayhi Salaam and Mariya AlQibtiya, she was HIS slave, concubine. So unless you show me an evidence of otherwise, then I have nothing further to say.

No hard feelings, it's just a discussion.

Fii Amaani'Laah

Naden   

^ Please refer to verses 2:221 and 24:33. Engaging in sexual relations outside of marriage is unlawful in Islam. Hence the permission to have multiple wives. What is the purpose of having a zina punishment then? There is no exception for bedding a slave person.

Historically during the dawn of Islam it was customary for people to have slaves and part of the deal was that Islam would abolish this practice eventually, that is why a lot reward was attached to manimutting slaves (evidence is from the hadith, some of you don't believe in it). But the issue here is as Honesita said back in the day men could have relations with their slave women without having to marry them. Of course this doesn't apply today. That is why there is a difference between 'wives' and 'right-hand possessions' in the quranic verse; the right hand possessions are the slave women.