Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

Is Puntland A Nation Or A Regional Administration?

Dr_Osman   

I think everyone should contribute to this about what they think Puntland is. Is it a regional state in Somalia or a republic. It has become a very gray area. Even though the Puntland govt says it is a regional administration, the big question is does it behave like one?

Where in the world do you see a regional administration having;

1. Central Bank

2. Army, Navy, Police, Airforce, Intelligensia

3. Flag, govt, parliament, ministries, anthem, constitution

4. Separate education system

5. Signing military and developmental deals

6. Attending world conferences on it's own at ministerial, presidential, and governor levels

7. Consulates in it's state such as yemen, ethiopia and puntland consulates in malaysia and other countries

Is the above characteristics of a regional government? Because wallahi been baan isku sheegaya if I said it was because it isn't and it's time we face the music. Even the constutition says "It will remain indepedent untill such time a Somali Federal Govt is born and ratified". So I guess even Puntland officials know that the behaviour of this state is not in-line with regional entities and they brush it of by saying we will be indepedent untill a federal framework is agreed upon by Somalis. So this even tells you the officials are confused!!!

Whats your opinion guys. We know Puntland is a regional state officially but does it operate like one? Lets have some xaqiiq talk now because we need to analyze if Puntland lives up to it's own policies

Somalia;850533 wrote:
All of those things will change when the constitution is ratified.

It'd be great if someone posts something in this forum about this ever changing constitution.

I think Puntland is behaving this way to insulate itself from the relative chaos occurring in South Somalia.

Just in case these boneheaded Politicians in the South can't agree to establish a peaceful Federal Government, Puntland would be able to declare its own independence and already have all the right institutions to govern.

And if the politicians in the South can agree on a Federal framework, then Puntland will be admitted as a Federal State of Somalia

Its ingenious, and the late Abdullahi Yusuf deserves all the credit for this