Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Next week is the historic debate on the constitution conference

Somalia   

Are you all excited, 15th of May just like the one in Somaliland 1991, one state must do the same. :cool:

Somalia   

Rudy, it's a fistulous time to be a Somali, imagine you going back to Mogadishu and partying with big booty girls in Lido beach without Al-Shabaab on your tail, think about it!

Aint gonna happen! i aint word about them hypocrite boyz...I am more skeptical about blood sucking, clueless kabo qabiils...thats my problem! they either disappear or i will kill them all!! no buts.

Garnaqsi   

Somalia;827861 wrote:
Will it be like this?

6a00d8341bfae553ef0134876fcba9970c-800wi

Not a chance, mate! You've some of the smartest people to walk on this Earth in that painting whereas this constitution conference will be full of muppets with no high school diplomas. Hell, some of the members who will be having a say used to be actual warlords.

Somalia   

Garnaqsi;827891 wrote:
Not a chance, mate! You've some of the smartest people to walk on this Earth in that painting whereas this constitution conference will be full of muppets with no high school diplomas. Hell, some of the members who will be having a say used to be actual warlords.

Everyone signing the constitution has formal education and relevant experience in government, it's part of the road map, do you need me to get it for you?

And no there won't be warlords. There will be a 825 member committee and they will be chosen due to their education, most of the parliament has been sidelined for fresh faces.

Garnaqsi   

Somalia;827901 wrote:
Everyone signing the constitution has formal education and relevant experience in government, it's part of the road map, do you need me to get it for you?

And no there won't be warlords. There will be a 825 member committee and they will be chosen due to their education, most of the parliament has been sidelined for fresh faces.

My apologies. I was wrongly thinking that it's going to be like one of those conferences they used to do in places like Nairobi. Obviously Somali politics has come long way since the days I used to follow it. I wish them every luck that it succeeds.

Somalia   

The top United Nations envoy in Somalia has welcomed the inaugural convening of the body tasked with selecting members of the Constituent Assembly and new Parliament as an important step on the road to ending the country’s transition.

“This is a moment of optimism for all Somalis,” said Augustine Mahiga, the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of the UN Political Office for Somalia (UNPOS).

The Traditional Elders represent the full spectrum of Somali society, according to a statement issued by UNPOS. They will nominate and select those who will serve in the 1,000-member Constituent Assembly, which is tasked with drafting a new constitution, as well as in the new Parliament.

The country’s Transitional Federal Institutions (TFIs) are in the process of implementing a roadmap devised in September last year that spells out priority measures to be carried out before the current transitional governing arrangements end on 20 August. The selection of the members of the Assembly and the Parliament will help pave the way for the end of the transition, UN News Service reports.

Mahiga emphasized that the credibility of those chosen by the Elders, who will meet tomorrow in the capital, Mogadishu, will have a “profound effect” on the constitution-making process and the selection of the new legislative body.

“I call on all parties to ensure that this is done in a timely, consultative and efficient manner. This is an essential first step on a long path ahead, and it is critical that we get it right.”

He also encouraged the Elders to “give us the best representatives to both the Constituent Assembly and the Parliament.”

The UN and the international community will give their full support to this process for the successful ending of the transition and eventual lasting peace and stability to Somalia, he added.