Prayer, how do you do yours?

N.O.R.F   

The technicalities of Prayer

Some raise their hands for the first takbeer, other don’t

Some raise their hands again for the second takbeer, some don’t

Some raise their hands after the rukuuc, some don’t

Some hold the right over the left between the rukuuc and the sujuud, some don’t

Some raise their hands again when having two more rakcas to do, some don’t

Some ‘wiggle’ (sorry don’t know the correct term) their right index finger when sitting (taxiyaat), some don’t

Some look behind them when finishing the prayer (ie look right then left), some don’t

So what gives?

I was wondering about wiggling thing. I first noticed when I went to taraweeh prayers this year. I thought you only had to raise it when saying "ash-hadu la ilaha" etc.

Am I doing it wrong?

Also the things you pointed out, are they wrong or not. Like I tend to raise my hands for the second takbeer, but I've noticed others don't, so I've tried not to do it.

Ms DD   

Salaam aleykum

Takbir (raise both hands shoulder level and say "Allahu Akbar")

I was sitting with some of the companions of Allah's Apostle and we were discussing about the way of praying of the Prophet . Abu Humaid As-Saidi said, "I remember the prayer of Allah's Apostle better than any one of you. ... I saw him raising both his hands up to the level of the shoulders on saying the Takbir..." [bukhari 1.791, Narrated Muhammad bin Amr bin Ata]

"Allah's Messenger used to raise both his hands up to the level of his shoulders when opening the As-Salat (the prayer); and on saying the Takbir for bowing. And on raising his head from bowing he used to do the same and then say Sami 'Allahu liman hamidah, Rabbana walakal-hamd. And he did not do that (i.e. raising his hands) in prostrations." [bukhari 1.702, Narrated 'Abdullah bin Umar]

About moving the finger:

The sunnah with regards to pointing is to move the forefinger throughout the tashahhud,in accordance with the hadeeth of Wail ibn Hujr(ra) -which is reported by Ahmad(4/138),Abu Daawood (no.727), an-Nasaaee(2/236), ad-Daarimee (1/314-315), Ibn ul-Jaarood(no.208) and Ibn Khuzaimah (no.714) with Saheeh isnaad and there occurs in it, "...then he closed his fingers and made a ring,then he raised his finger and I saw him moving it and making duaa with it, then I came in a time and when it was cold and so I saw the people with cloaks upon them moving their hands beneath their clothes due to the cold".

As for the hadeeth of Abdullah ibn az-Zubair(ra)-where in is mentioned that the prophet (saw) used to point with his finger when he made duaa and not move it. It is reported by Abu Dawood(no.989); its isnaad is not authentic since it contains Muhammad ibn 'Ajalah, about whom adh-Dhabee says, "of average memory," The ahadeeth of the like of him are not acceptable if they contradict anyone who is more reliable than him and his narration becomes shaadh and therefore Muslim does not report from him except to endorse something. Even if this hadeeth were established, then it is a denial and the hadeeth of Waail ibn Hujr is affirming.That which affirms is taken over that which denies, since the one who affirms something has an increase in knowledge and he knows is a proof against he who does not.This sunnah is also from the sayings of Imaam Maalik(ra)-as occurs in the book ar-Risaalah of Abdullah ibn Abee Zaid al-Qairwanee al-Maalikee (p.27) and the book al-Fiqh alal madhaahib il-Arbaah(no.98).Imaam Ahmad was asked,Should a man point his finger in the Prayer? So he said,"Yes strongly." See Masaail ul-Imaam Ahmad,the narration of Ibn Haani(1/80).

First, look towards your right shoulder and, speaking to the angel that records your good deeds, say "as sala'amu alaikum" or a better greeting (i.e. "as sala'amu alaikum wa rahmatullahi").

It is optional to then turn your head and look towards your left shoulder, speaking to the angel that records your bad deeds, and give the same or lesser greeting as to your right.

Regarding the Takbir upon standing up for a new rakat:

When standing up to begin rakat 2 and 4, Do NOT lift hands, but DO say "Allahu Akbar" (Takbir).

When standing up to begin the 3rd rakat, DO lift hands shoulder-height and say "Allahu Akbar" (Takbir).

Urban   

I dont wiggle my finger, and only raise it when i say the shahaada.

I raise my hand after rukuc, palms facing me (like making a duca). But when i get up from sujuud or after tahiyaat, I always raise my hands all the way to my ears, palms facing forwards.

Urban   

I've also heard that when you perform the sujuud, as you go down your knee must touch the floor first, then your hands. Your nose must touch the floor first, and then your forehead. Also there shouldn't be any gaps between your fingers, and your feet must be close to each other, with your toes facing the qiblah.

Is that the correct way?

Nehanda   

I am not too sure about the knees touching the floor first. Unless you are completely fit, most would use their hands to lower themselves. Also what if you are blessed with a small nose and a large forehead?

UK_ROSE   

Salaam, This is a Macromedia flash which I found very useful when I was searching of the Prophet (SAW) prayer..

this is the one for beginners

web page

this is the advanced level too..

http://english.islamway.com/flashpage.php?id=1&cat=1&file_name=PrayerAdv&width=782&hight=438

I hope you find it useful.. I must say www.islamway.com is one of the best ISlamic sites i have ever visited.