Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Fresh and Hopeful faces for Next Somali Parliament

Somalina   

Central Ohio Somali community hosted an event to support one of their own in his candidacy for the new Somali parliament, on March 17.

Malik Abdalla with Master degree from Ohio States University left the comfort of his cozy life and family to serve his native home country.

“I took with me back home my experience and big negative perception of my country and it’s transitional government.” Malik said.

This is truly the perception of most of Somalis in diaspora today. Malik continue to note the different realities between the two worlds; the comfortable Columbus life and chaos Mogadishu life.

“I gained more experience from going back to Somalia; this experience changed not only my negative perception but also, shade light on my role.”

At this event Malik Abdalla unveiled his ambition to join the new Somalia Parliament.

“I know most of you disagree with the current selection system for parliamentarian process, I too believe that it is not perfect but it is our national system at the moment and until we can find an alternative, we must infiltrate and use it for a good course, we must make it to become a force for good,” Malik said.

Among those who spoke at the event was Gen. Abdikadir Diini the current Somali Military Chief who is also a Columbus resident.

“Malik is a good role model for many young Somalis in western countries who wants to go back and become a force for change,” Gen. Diini said.

Mahad Awale a young local soccer coach and sport organizer applauded Malik’s courage and his decision going back to Somalia. Mahad encourages young Somali professionals to follow Malik’s suite.

Somalia was without central government since 1991 but there were series of weak transitional governments. Malik Abdalla is currently working with the transitional administration of President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed of which their term is expected to end this August. Malik Abdalla is interested becoming a face for the new Somali Parliament that is expected to replace the current Transitional Federal Government.

Following up the U.K. Somali Conference in February, the ceremonial conference that will mark the end of the transitional administration will presumably take place in Turkey, this June.

Somalina   

Adeer iyo abti ayaa ku tukadey jinaza garoonka. Ka soco.

Inankan maxaa ka tiri oo isku soo sharaxey xildhibaanimada baarlamaanka?

ElPunto   

Nothing personal against this guy. But what do so many Somalis seem to think that doing 'something' back home requires their participation in and assumption of political power. Why not invest in a community or business - make a difference that way - why must it always be about political power? Hore lo yiri about Somalis - everyone a chief and no indians.