Sign in to follow this  
Timur

How long will Somalia take to Rebuild? Guess.

Timur   

When looking at the daunting task of bringing Somalia’s infrastructure, housing, and other physical building blocks up to speed with the modern world, how much money do you reckon it would cost, and more importantly, how long would the process take to complete?

If the question is overwhelming, and even alien to you, don’t fret. While Somalia has been on sleep mode for the past twenty years, its neighbors and the wider African and global community have been propping up mega-cities out of the ashes and in no time at all. The mother of these projects on the African continent has been the Angolan capital city of Luanda.

In one of the biggest examples of mass social construction in the continent’s history, President Jose Eduardo dos Santos launched a massive housing project aimed at the poor 234,000 residents of the Kilamba Kiaxi district. The project, now completed, serves all 234,000 denizens of Kilamba Kiaxi, boasts 710 apartment buildings with over 20,000 units, 246 shops, 24 kindergartens, 17 primary & middle schools, as well as power stations, water supply centers, sewage treatment plants, and all the necessary infrastructure to nurture a model society.

Even though the project was handled by a Chinese firm, over 10,000 jobs were created for local Kilambans in the process. So, just how much did this grand project, fit to sustain 234,000 people, cost the public? A mere $3.5 Billion, a large portion of which went to local salaries and returned to the system. $3.5 Billion is only 4% of the Angolan GDP, and it will take a relative chunk to do the same in Somalia, which is a small price to pay for skipping the entire process of industrialism to create a highly-developed way of life for 200,000+ of your people at one time.

But, the impatient nomads ask, how long did it all take? The project, announced in 2008, formally started in 2009, was completed in the Summer of 2011. That’s a grand total of just two years it took to house a population the size of Beletweyn, or Bosaso, or Galkayo, or Burao, or Kismayo–and not just house, but in conditions that parallel Western living. Just two years!

This is something every Somali should hear. They should know that their entire nation can be made to look like Sweden in a mere half-decade! What took twenty-odd years to destroy can be rebuilt and made ten times better in half a decade. The time it takes to watch a small child learn to walk, talk, eat, and ‘potty’ on their own, is how long it will take to make Somalia look like Japan. That is, if we are to follow the juggernaut way of construction–which in the case of broken Somalia is a must–then Somalia can definitely be built to modern standards in five years if Kilamba Kiaxi-esque projects are launched simultaneously in every town and city.

Before you question me, take a look for yourselves. I’ve pulled up two photos of Kilamba Kiaxi. The first photo is a satellite image of Kilamba Kiaxi from 1/13/2009, in which there is only the faintest sign that material preparation has begun, and the second picture is 6/24/2010, and you can see that the work is almost complete. If we are to assume that construction began in the middle of 2009, and ended in 2011–then there is your definitive proof that construction miracles do exist, and that Somalis won’t have to wait for salvation to be delivered. And if you don’t believe me on Kilamba Kiaxi, open up Google Earth if you have it (and it’s free here) and check for yourself.

Of course, this entire reality hangs on the balance of oil and the rate at which financial incentives are rolled out (and for the record, loans are rumored to have already been dished out to both Puntland and the TFG).

Hirsi Fiqi, Editor

DissidentNation.com

Kilamba Kiaxi 1/13/2009

klm1.jpg

Kilamba Kiaxi 6/24/2010

klm2.jpg

http://dissidentnation.com/how-long-will-it-take-to-rebuild-somalia-physically/

a lot can change in one year specially in a place like Somalia. If we go by example, a place like Carmo just in the last couple of months experienced a lot of infrastructure boom.

Its all a matter of political and security stability, look at Beirut now and what it was 21 years ago. We just need stability, we have the brains, the oil, the man power, the land, the sea and everything, just give us 2 years on continuous stability and you'l see Somalia beyond recognition.

lebanon-july-war-beirut-lebanon-august-2

Beirut 1989

Beirut818bpa6.jpg

Beirut 2012

nuune   

Dubai 1990, Note the street or the highway, or the apartments

0f0f246ccd933ef22d1a75de9b378932.jpg

Dubai 2003, same street or highway, or the apartments

568f51b83b10eebff600f6d2f021cd77.jpg

Dubai 2009, same street or highway, or the apartments

ab28efeb268db6f8ed6e04565c5b0d46.jpg

Dubai 2012, same street or highway, or the apartments

43fbb698f0dc5799a8950ff428a96091.jpg

And guess what, it wasn't oil or natural gas that Dubai was built on, main revenue comes from tourism, real estate, financial services, and logistics.

Carafaat   

-Within 1 year the fights will stop and no more bullets will be heard.

-within 1 year an active administration that works in all regions.

-within 1 year all Somali players working through and within a system of governance. That fuunctions as a communication line.

yeh. security is the key though.

If you leave the oil and, agriculture and live stock aside I believe the sea only can build Somalia with its fisheries, ports and beaches. We have a land locked nation of 80 million next door, and they need many ports to use,and that will bring lots of revenues.

Showqi   
How long will Somalia take to Rebuild? I guess 10 to 20 years and that is only if we beat Qabiil iyo Wadaadada waalan. Hadii kale sidan ayuun baynu isaga daba meeraysan.

Buildings don't mean shit if there is a gap between the poor & rich.

Most places that have skyscrapers have a slum on the outskirts that get marginalized.

I'd rather have a slow, progressive and environmentally conscious rebuilding of Somalia, than a quick & capitalist driven facelift.

Mario B   

Somalicentric;802534 wrote:
Buildings don't mean shit if there is a gap between the poor & rich.

Most places that have skyscrapers have a slum on the outskirts that get marginalized.

I'd rather have a slow, progressive and environmentally conscious rebuilding of Somalia, than a quick & capitalist driven facelift.

Good point. :cool:

I would also like to see a Somalia where no clan is left behind, I never understood why "PL" and "SL" would sing and dance about progress they are making when we have millions of our brethrens in refugee camps in neighbouring countries, then it hit me they were clan enclaves.....