Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Hargeisa land bubble

Carafaat   

The Hermet;802066 wrote:
walahi caraafato i made a profit saxib..im in profit now..,plus although pumped up with foreign money, i agree, but even addis is, nairobi is backed by foriegn money, the diaspora pump in million daily in remmitences etc so we are dealing with different paradigm entirely..and as we know money circulates i.e. the people building the house, the aritech the suppliers they all make money hense why the somaliland shilling is stable and strong even though it is unrecognised and the people make a small living of

sxb, i belief you made profit. Propaply you invested in land again. But wait untill the bubble burst and if you folks still made profit or lost more then they gained.

the land is of the people, no need to put so much money in it. it wont go anywhere.

Carafaat   

Che -Guevara;802071 wrote:
Jb..It seems highly inflated considering the average income of the citizens. What about other towns?

the same situation as in hargeysa. prices are less, but still the rate of increasing prices is to high. Even in lascanood and Buuhoodle price are doubling in short time of period.

STOIC   

Damn 170,0000 dollars? Nigger I buy that with a cash house in the States....my inlaws are spending all their savings in building a house in Hargeisa (i guess its cheaper when you have generational land)...IA probably take my kids their for vacation away from the concrete world of the States....I know a nigger in my town that moved all his family back to Hargeysa...I hope Insha-Allah many people will have the confidence in rebuilding their old family land in all of Somalia cities...

Che -Guevara;802071 wrote:
Jb..It seems highly inflated considering the average income of the citizens. What about other towns?

Other towns are much cheaper ,,, except Berbera ,,, for reasons u know :D

Jacaylbaro;802084 wrote:
Other towns are much cheaper ,,, except Berbera ,,, for reasons u know
:D

LOL....No, I don't know.

I hope Hargeysa is not Xamar prior 91 where the entire nation invested everything.

The land and estate inflation is out of hand;

I hardly believed when my mother told me 4 years ago that her plot in central Hargeysa was morth $ 80 000 (it may be much more now) as she bought it for roughly $3500 in 92/93.

The only realistic way nowadays to settle in the centre or desirable areas for almost anyone is either to rent or build/live on a relative's plot (unless of course one is rich enough to not have nothing better to do with cash).

Again, with this artificial economy of foreign exchange influx and improductive use of assets, locals bear the brunt;

hence why it is all the more urgent to have a controlled economy that put savings into creating jobs and care more about the poorest than the elite.

The self reliant Eritreans that reject foreign aid and have zero debt have much better healthcare, public services and patriotism than Somalis yet even the very clean Asmara is much more affordable than cities in Sland/Somalia (Eritrea is actually cited as an example for similar African countries).

It has indeed more to do with putting the common good and unprivileged before anything else than inviting foreign banks with destructive records in African countries where they were present for more than a century...

Carafaat   

Abu-Salman;802093 wrote:
The land and estate inflation is out of hand;

I hardly believed when my mother told me 3 years ago that her plot in central Hargeysa was morth $ 80 000 (it may be much more now)

as she bought it for roughly $3500.

The only realistic way nowadays to settle in the centre or desirable areas for almost anyone is either to rent or build/live on a relative's plot (unless of course one is rich enough to not have nothing better to do with cash).

Again, with this artificial economy of foreign exchange influx and improductive use of assets, locals bear the brunt;

hence why it is all the more urgent to have a controlled economy that put savings into creating jobs and care more about the poorest than the elite.

The self reliant Eritreans that reject foreign aid and have zero debt have much better healthcare, public services and patriotism than Somalis yet even the very clean Asmara is much more affordable than cities in Sland/Somalia.

It has more to do with putting the common good and unprivileged before anything else than inviting foreign banks with destructive records in African countries (in some cases for more than a century)...

land should be nationalised.

^Land should not only be nationalised but also rationed;

this ideology of unbridled capitalism is fallacious as far as people's well-being matters (not to mention the environment).

Farming plots should likewise be state's property as in some other countries with small farms and businesses protected (just like any activity which is labor intensive and environmentally neutral unlike most big farms, hotels or stores).

Nobody should cares about growth, investments, GDP etc if it fails to protect the environment and underprivileged (to avoid the same fate as in countless other countries).

STOIC;802079 wrote:
Damn 170,0000 dollars? Nigger I buy that with a cash house in the States....my inlaws are spending all their savings in building a house in Hargeisa (i guess its cheaper when you have generational land)...IA probably take my kids their for vacation away from the concrete world of the States....I know a nigger in my town that moved all his family back to Hargeysa...I hope Insha-Allah many people will have the confidence in rebuilding their old family land in all of Somalia cities...

Did you forget the ex-office of the Ministry of Civil Aviation in central Hargeisa was sold for 800,000 Dollars about two months ago ??? ....

come on did i hear nationalised...for real...come on guys seriously...???

We are not communists for the love of God, Hargaisa has always been expensive, even in the Somalia era..it was more expensive then mugdisho this is just Hargaisa the way it has always been. Nationalisation of land is not required, the land is plenty and the number of cities anyone can live in is endless so i dont see a point of nationalisation. I do agree with you that it does put the poor at an obvious disadvantage in terms of buying villas etc.. but the average man and women do is a bit different and i noticed this. Hardly anyone doesnt have a relative abroad. so they have agreed with construction companies to build their houses in stages, i.e. they build a main room, save up build a living room, save up and continue and i think it works for them...plus the government gives land away for free in huge portions. The enitre towns of Mohammed Mooge and others were given to the people their free of charge when they return from being refugees in Ethiopia some sold it and made money others, used it to build houses. so the issue i believe is a bit more complex then it seems, nationalisation refers to government government refers to parties, Too much government is not good, let the people and market deal with it...the republican concept is the best..."the government should only do what the people can not do for themselves"....

Carafaat   

The Hermet, how else do you want to build a city with parks, playgrounds. even pedestrian sidewalks are being build an claimed. most land was goverment property in the past. people only leased land.

Carafaat;802114 wrote:
The Hermet, how else do you want to build a city with parks, playgrounds. even pedestrian sidewalks are being build an claimed. most land was goverment property in the past. people only leased land.

Carafaat thats called town planning. Roads are public they belong to all..government buildings are public they belong to all, parks, etc they are all public they belong to all..what i was refering to was private residencies i.e. peoples individial homes. I agree with you the government is in charge of all the above you stated...but cities across the country have local councils that deal with town planning, streets, cleaning etc.

Example in Borama they have Borama city council which deals with issues in the town, cleaning, security, police, teaching etc... they deal with that exclusive, central government is just national but doesnt have any power local levels. Hargaisa is the same we have a town council headed by the mayor and he deals with town planning, roads, garbage. I get two rubbish collection days a week to my house by a dump truck that comes straight to my house better then london...and all this is control by the mayor they have election to determine the mayors of the cities and the people vote on who runs the town, even when elected every naibourhood depending on size of population has a number of seats allocated and decisions are made collectively in that council, walahi its quiet imppressive.

its quiet complex walahi...i would say go there and check it out for your self book a ticket and visit it and travel up and down the country and check it out whats going on...

Carafaat   

i lived there 2 yrs sxb. there is no single park in that city. even ministries find it hard to obtain to build public institutions. the local admins even selling fields were kid play football. local admins is corrupted by the trade in public lands of property rights.