Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Djibouti Envoy Tours Puntland's Capital Garowe

ElPunto   

I do not think that lack of funds are the real problem in Djibouti since the public budget alone is nearing the $ 600 millions with minimal taxation (it would be great should the overall Somali budgets reach that target even within 10 years of better stability for example).

But funnily enough, if oil is exploited, most Djiboutians are automatically entitled to it as they largely hail from Awdal and other northern constituencies part of the TFG 4.5 groups (pres H. Guled was from Garissa...some djibs and one djib MP are even from Puntland clan);

it's not even dual citizenship as the Somali constitution start by defining nationals as all Somalis, not to mention that Djibouti itself is one of the claimed territories (though Somalis only reside traditionally in around 20% of Djibouti for the few really indigenous).

More seriously, I think having pooled resources or cooperation is imperative:

the Djiboutian date palms project with the Saudis could be ideally extended to the Bossaso hinterland for instance.

Ports and Telecommunications are sectors where the Djiboutians are at the forefront in Africa too.

Sharing expertise or even pooling resources in the Water and Clinical training areas could make a difference too.

It may even makes sense for Somalia health ministry generic drugs procurement and other regulations be subcontracted to the Djiboutians at least initially etc (sharing experience is as valuable as wealth)...

600 million dollar budget and nothing much to show for it?!

Resource money isn't distributed on the basis of clans or being Somali - it would be based on being part and parcel of the Somali Republic or its constituent regions. I can see resource money being given to O*gadenia because they are Somalis under occupation who would join Somalia if they could. I don't see why Djibouti would be getting any money. Unless it's bilateral aid of some sort but that is not an entitlement. Djibouti chooses to be sovereign and independant - so how could you share your wealth with those - the only answer here is Djibouti - either jioin up or isku filnow. Clearly this all premature since nothing has happened.

By all means we should share expertise, freedom of movement and all other aspects of friendly nations but there are limits given the status the govt of DJ has chosen.

^^^ you think Djibouti will move its money into Somalia. The poverty rate in Djibouti is high you seem to think its wealthy or something. You have to remember its entire existence is built on one port, a population of about 250,000 i.e. the population of Burco and american and french aid for use of its airport. The country has daily demos and outside djibouti city poverty is indemic. I wouldnt count to much on Djibouti finances.:cool: