Sign in to follow this  
samjamaa

why educated Somalis leave their communities?

Garnaqsi   

"Tacliin aabahay wuxu i baray tooyyo soo godole
Tiska oodda iyo baan iqiin tirada xoolaaye
Intii aan tuldaha baas wad wadey rag iga tooreeye."
- Maxamed Kaahin Feedhoole.

Carafaat   

Abwaan;780147 wrote:
Brother you could teach or educate others ee please do your PhD while you can! Maay-maaygana baro! You can do both.

Abwaan, wallahi I dont see value of it. Universities in Somalia are mainly taught by first and second degree holders. And besides for such a small society we already have to many Phd holders and not enaugh practical do'ers.

Carafaat   

BOB;780235 wrote:
I don't know about you lot but I don't know that many educated (properly educated..I'm talking about the whole 9 yards) who are decent enough to have a normal conversation with let alone have a positive impact on you. I've met a drunkard who had PHD in human science who was sick with qabiil. I've met mid kale oo aan garan kari waayay meel aan ku tiriyo sababtoo ah his name was Mohammed and he said he was a muslim yet he didn't say one good or positive thing about Islam the few days I've been talking to him and he was also PHD holder in veterinary microbiology but he was as Somali nationalist as any man or woman I've ever met and couple of others including mid ayeeyo ah oo sigaarka u cabeysa sida inuu daawo yahay...marka I'm sorry if I don't have a good thing to say about the few I've met but kolleey anigu waxaan u arkaa in kuwaasi ay wax macno leh Soomaaliya ama Soomaali ay kala maqneyn. mid aaminsan in diinta Islaamku tahay waxa dhibka keenay iyo mid aaminsan in Soomaaliya ay qabiilkiisu maamulaan simply because he thinks they're the most educated and ayeeyo aan xishooneyn oo lasoo taagan Soomaaliya gaalada halagu wareejiyo dumarna madaxweyne iyo prime minister waddanka halooga dhigo...trust me we're not missing out on anything when it comes to the so-called educated..let them leave and I hope they never come back as long as they're still confused about who they're and which side of the fence they stand.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Bob, you got a point there. its a piece of paper and it doesnt have a lot of meaning in the University called Life.

Garnaqsi   

Carafaat;780610 wrote:
Abwaan, wallahi I dont see value of it. Universities in Somalia are mainly taught by first and second degree holders. And besides for such a small society we already have to many Phd holders and not enaugh practical do'ers.

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is correct; it's far from the truth, actually. If anything, we probably hold the least number of PhDs for a population of our size. I've never seen a Somali with a PhD in physics, biology, mathematics, and this guy is the only one I came across for chemistry; the same goes for most other reputable subjects. Besides, from what I gather, both the quantity and quality of subjects they do at universities in Somalia are laughable and sad, so one's qualification to teach their amounts to nothing.

Bob, you got a point there. its a piece of paper and it doesnt have a lot of meaning in the University called Life.

Please, stop this nonsense. Everyone attends the university of life by the sole virtue of being alive. It's ridiculous that you seem to be taking pride in that as if it were some sort of special achievement. Besides, you're mixing your priorities here. PhD is by definition is a research degree. If you have no interest in the research value of your subject (what is it anyway?) then you are better off not doing it.

Carafaat   

Garnaqsi, we need people who know practical proffesion, people who can actually bore a water well rather another doing researcher, assements. For example did you know there is only one marine pilot in the whole of Berbera port. Only one guy who can guide ships through dangerous or congested harbours? Tell me what use would a engineering Phd or mathematical Phd have in such an enviroment?

I came across many degree holders in the region of diffrent fields that practically dont even exist yet. Let alone that we reached the phase that we actually want to do research, what use will it have if you cant even implement the outcomes nor have the capacity or skills?

Carafaat   

I will send you a PM. :D

Tell me what use would an Phd research degree have on top of a second degree in the Somali context? where there is hardly any developed field or proffesional sector yet. we have there so many Universities, but hardly a technical or vocational institutions where people learn by doing.

Somali's do love degree's and title's, but bro they are of no use in Somalia context. I lived there for 2 years, i can tell.

Garnaqsi   
Got that PM! Interesting :] I agree that a PhD probably has no much value in countries like Somalia, but then most PhD students really have no aspirations of working in countries like Somalia; so I would say you are confusing your priorities with those of others.

Carafaat   

Garnaqsi, the topic of this thread was why educated people leave their community. I pointed out that indeed being over educated might create a gap between one's career ambitions and his wishes to say, live and work within his community or country Somalia.

But I think we are in agreement here.

BOB   

Valenteenah.;780474 wrote:
LoooL! Wlc back BoB.

Thanks walaashiis. How you been?

Peace, Love & Unity.

Garnaqsi   

Carafaat;780642 wrote:
Garnaqsi, the topic of this thread was why educated people leave their community. I pointed out that indeed being over educated might create a gap between one's career ambitions and his wishes to say, live and work within his community or country Somalia.

I would definitely agree with that. However, I vehemently disagree with your dismissal of the importance formal education.

Juxa   

Garnaqsi, the guy you refer to is indeed very polite man oo soomali jecel. there is a sister in UCL doing research at the moment, i believe she has PHD in neuro-science something.

obviously there are many many good people but dadka qaarkood, afkey furaan and you want dacas inad uga garaacdo.

BOB   

Juxa;780727 wrote:
you want dacas inad uga garaacdo.

You and your dacas...lool dadka islaameed ka leexo intaan maxkamad lagusoo joojin for batterry and assault with intent to do harm with dacas.

Peace, Love & Unity.

Carafaat   

Garnaqsi;780716 wrote:
I would definitely agree with that. However, I vehemently disagree with your dismissal of the importance formal education.

I did not! I said in certain cases a Phd would not have a lot of added value in Somalia, and there is more need for vocational educated people in the country.