Sign in to follow this  
Herer

Muslim smokers worse than cows: Malaysia cleric

Herer   

Malaysia's top Muslim cleric slams at smokers

Muslim smokers worse than cows: Malaysia cleric

KUALA LUMPUR (AlArabiya, Reuters)

Muslims who smoke and try to portray themselves as religious are worse than cows that defecate in the street, a top Malaysian Muslim cleric and politician said on Friday, pointing out that smoking was banned in Islam because the habit was hazardous to health.

"For example, a cow which defecates in the middle of the road, (we) cannot take legal action against it because it has no brain and cannot think," said Nik Aziz who is the spiritual leader of the country's Pan-Islamic Party (PAS).

" But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion ... can be regarded as being more despicable than cows "

Nik Aziz

"But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion ... when they are in an attire which symbolizes Islam [hijab or skull cap], they can be regarded as being more despicable than cows," he said in his weekly religious speech, according to Malaysia's state news agency Bernama.

Recently, Indonesia's top Islamic body passed a fatwa or ruling banning smoking. Malaysia's top Islamic body has also banned smoking.

Despite the ban in Malaysia, where over half the population of 27 million is Muslim, 50 percent of the male population smokes according to World Health Organization (WHO) data.

PAS is one of the three parties in Malaysia's opposition alliance led by former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim.

Nur   

Adan Nur bro.

To influence people positively in life, its best that we don't offend them at first. If I was a smoker and read the above Sheikh's statement, I would be so offended too that I would continue smoking, people have a right to do whatever they please, as long as they are aware of the end result of their choices in life. The best way to appeal to people's minds is through respectful dialogue and reasoning like the following eNuri Story. By the way, I am a recovering Smoker, I quit smoking early at age 12! don't ask me when I started!

The Perils Of Smoking

Mr. Af-ku-Dable, a smoker is asking a learned Islamic scholar about religious edict ( Fatwa) on smoking.

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Salaam, Sheikh, I am a smoker, and I am bothered by some of our wadaads saying that cigarettes smoking is haraam, I think that cigarette are just like food, thus halaal, am I right yaa sheikh? .

Sheikh: Well, my son, do you say bismillah before you light up your cigarette?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Of course not.

Sheikh: OK, after you are done with smoking do you say, Al hamdulillah?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Of course not

Sheikh: What do you do with the remaining tobacco in the cigarette butt?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: I throw it in the dirt and rub it down with my shoe soles.

Sheikh: When you go to Masjid for prayers, do you eat or drink, like dates and water.

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Of course, we do that in Ramadan

Sheikh: Do you also light up your cigarette during iftar breakfast inside the Masjid?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Of course not, it's impolite.

Sheikh: Why not?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Because, its impolite, and not appropriate in a clean environment.

Sheikh: My son, as non smokers, when we eat food we say Bismillah, you dont do that with your cigarette. We say Al hamdulillah after we are done with eating, you don't say that either after quenching your nicotine craving, when we finish eating, the remaining portion we save for another day, or feed the poor, you throw it on the ground and rub it down with your dirty shoe soles. We enjoy eating food in Masjid if we feel hungry, you have to walk out of Masjid to smoke, let me ask you now, are cigarettes as good for sustaining your life as food?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Definitely NO.

Sheikh: In that case, does cigarettes fall in the category of Al Tayibaat mina Rizq) wholesome good nourishing foods?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Definitely NOT.

Sheikh: Does it cause many diseases that kill people?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: yes, Sheikh, many.

Sheikh: Therefore, dont you agree that Smoking is Khabeeth not virtuous, evil and bad?

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Yes, Sheikh, I agree.

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Therefore, if we agree that Cigarettes belong to the Khabaa'eth, what remains to be seen is if there are any proof from Quraan or Hadeeth that says that the Khabeeth is Haraam.

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: That is right yaa Sheikh, tell me, is there a proof that Khabaa'eth are Haraam?.

Sheikh: Allah SWT says in Quraan: Wa Axalla lakumut tayibaatu wa xarrama calaykumu al khabaa'itha" Allah made lawful for you (to eat) the Tayibaat ( good healthy, wholesome foods) (while) he made it Haraam (unlawful ) for you (to consume) the Khabaa' eth (plural of khabeeth, injurious, bad, unhealthy actions, consumables and foods).

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: Thank you Sheikh.

Sheikh:, son, take this Haroob of foaming Camel Milk.

Mr. Af-ku-Dable: UUUUUMH, thats so delicious, yaa Sheikh, can I have more please?.

Sheikh: Camel milk is the healthiest nutrition you can put in a Haroob, our camel boys survive on camel milk diet alone for months, it is the only milk that comes with Vitamin C, it has antibodies that are being experimented to penetrate and kill HIV virus, it rids the body of toxicity, binds with heavy metals in your liver to get them out of your system, I heard that it even cures Leukemia and other forms of cancer caused by smoking, so, why not take a vacation for few months to live with the Somali camel boys and regain your clean body, and MIND?

http://www.vitalcame lmilk.com/health.htm l

Nur

2006 eNuri Clean Wholesome Living

A Healthy body = Healthy mind

Herer   

In the name of Allah the most mericiful the most gracious.

Thank you very much Mr.Nur.

I am glad to read the dialogue b/w Shiekh and Af-kudable.

It shows a positive way to encourage the people in order to quit this bad habit.