Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The 1980s: Faded Times, Lasting Joy

Juxa   

well igu dar 70s aniga, Lido beach was the place to stroll with your afro, with malqabad on your shoulders and the breeze on your face

NGONGE   

The seventies and early eighties were a time of innocence and learning for me. It was a time of TV and Japanese anime. But it is something I would dearly love to replicate for my own children at home (instead of some of the rubbish they watch today).

Through those masterful Japanese, I got to know about the epic story that is Arabian Nights whilst I was still a very young child. The adventures of Sinbad The Sailor had it all; magic, bravery, intrigue & even Jinn!

51KWJME0M0L.jpg

As eight year olds, we were also introduced to the classics of Mark Twain (Tom Swayer & Huckleberry Finn) :

fb61fcfbf721ca611282bdfdaf528a46.png

When A&T was happily bouncing about and singing about yellow fever, we were learning about the Japense Samuri and the magical Sasuki (he had magic, he had tricks and he was braver than Sinbad). :

e7f9262c13.jpg

And, of course, there was always the amazing world-saving Grendizer!

chaldoashour174712e732.jpg

Still, the one thing that Somalis of similar age might have watched at the same time as me is Open Seseme (Iftax ya Semsem). Nocmaan, anyone? :D

10292.imgcache.jpeg

This was an "arabised" version of the American show Seseme Street. Learnt my alphabet through that, I did.

You probably noticed how much I love Peru. It's not because I visited the land or read about it in later years, it's because of hte one and only Pepero (Eldorado is a real city you know).

a39e962a4bedd455af3817e89cd04442.jpg

Ma wadaa?

Abtigiis   

NG, you lucky something! :D Anagu 1970s somalia naloola qaxay iyo Hargeisa oo instead of Japanese Samurai we were watching real Axmaaro bombardment. Our hide and seek game was not Sasuki but mother's rushing us to the nearst forest to escape Ethiopian jets. As the war subsided and we came back from Hargeisa, giraan, jabadaan, and luuf were the normal pastime for some years.

If Nuune doesn't say where he was in 70s, I will write it for him on the basis of what he told me. Waryaa Nuune, soo daa dee. Geeli iyo libaaxdii, aad saska ilaa hadda ku haya ee jinni ku tusa aad ka qaaday. Start like this:

" Jarati, where to be a real camel-boy meant to brave the rains in the darkness of African nights, and sleep by the side of a raging fire, warming you feet, to compensate for the coldness you feel in your head, as you recline back on a cushion of dareemo grass to keep your head above the flash floods of deyr. :D :D

LoL @ yellow fever and coked hair!

Some clarifications are needed: when you mention this or any other decade, are you referring to childhood, teenagehood or 20s? I can only partake once those have been clarified.

I've to give it to the 80s though, the music was pretty awesome. It's my favourite genre.

LoL @ Malika and Madonna! Haha

NGONGE   

^^ Childhood and some teenage years. I mean, I'm pretty certain that A&T was still a teenager by the time the 90s arrived, I was too (just about). :D

p.s.

Nuune, going by his stories, was a teenager in 1965. Being friends with the outworldly lot has done wonders for his complexion.

p.p.s

I already know you, Ibti & Chuba were Byker Grove chicks (or was that only Curly?).

LoL @ Nuune a teen in 65. I would believe it if I heard 47!

Well in that case the 90s was the decade. Never was a fan of Byker Grove, I prefered The Tomorrow's People, I remember I used to try to get home as fast as possible to catch it. Being a nerd, I spent evenings and weekends reading or doing my art projects. Only started to enjoy myself in the 00s - now THAT's my true decade. Ruwaayado, University and boy headaches! Good years.

BTW, Ibti and I might have been born in the same decade but I have a good few years on her! I think she's more Buffy the Vampire Slayer. :D

N.O.R.F   

Ah Byker Grove those were the days :D

Grange Hill anyone?

Early to mid 90s were taken up by school work, malcaamad and turning out for local teams in Sunday league football before rushing home for football Italia :D

Malika   

N.O.R.F;761707 wrote:
Malika 1980s?
:D

Haha - war waanuu kuu dalii kareynaa..just kidding I think Ngonge/A&T and I are from the same era. Late 80's to early 90's was my era of crazyness. intaa kaa hoor, spent most time terrorising my neighbours.

Valenteenah.;761794 wrote:
Only started to enjoy myself in the 00s - now THAT's my true decade. Ruwaayado, University and boy headaches! Good years.

:D

the naughties - i remember mar aan isku deyeye in aan madax xanuunkaas mid noqdo - oo aad igu daadisay :D