Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

“City of Hope” – Reflections from Somaliland

SOURCE

Like many people, my impression of Somalia is colored by the familiar TV images of a lawless land governed by conflict, piracy and bloodshed. With this in mind I was a little apprehensive to visit Somaliland, neighbor to the world’s most failed state.

But despite its name, Somaliland, is a peaceful haven on the corner of chaos. An unrecognized and self-declared autonomous area which broke away from Somalia in 1991, it even has its own parliament, currency and army.

Driving through the streets of Hargeisa, Somaliland’s capital, was like venturing into a clash of rural and urban lives. Goats and businessmen jostled for space on the cramped pavements. Women clad in colorful headscarves balancing jerry cans elegantly negotiated their way through rows of qat chewing customers and the hum-drum of construction sites housing western style hotels.

Somalia   

Sxb, are you one of those people who say they are from that region when asked, do you actually say the name "Somaliland"? :D

I'm wondering because once a girl said it in class and the teacher looked at her as if she was crazy and he said "what do you mean? Somalia?"

And she said "no, it's a different country", and he was so confused that he stopped the lesson wallahi, just to check his PC, so he looks and reads the Wikipedia article, then he bursts out in laughter and says "alright, I see", he takes a paper, and writes his last name and 'land' and puts it up on the door and says, this is my new country.

It was hilarious, and he was British too, so that one hurt.

Mustafe   

Somalia;759278 wrote:
Sxb, are you one of those people who say they are from that region when asked, do you actually say the name "Somaliland"?
:D

I'm wondering because once a girl said it in class and the teacher looked at her as if she was crazy and he said "what do you mean? Somalia?"

And she said "no, it's a different country", and he was so confused that he stopped the lesson wallahi, just to check his PC, so he looks and reads the Wikipedia article, then he bursts out in laughter and says "alright, I see", he takes a paper, and writes his last name and 'land' and puts it up on the door and says, this is my new country.

It was hilarious, and he was
British
too, so that one hurt.

Was the teacher a Brit of Somali descent, because otherwise it would seem that you just made this one up, lol?

Thankful   

Wiil Cusub;759507 wrote:
Desperate

How do u get tame to read this when u are from
world’s most failed state

Lol, so I guess we should just break away and claim we are a country despite the fact that not a single other country will recognize us. That way we will no longer be part of that failed state right? Something that isn't even a state is calling others a failed state!

Always remember. the foreign land you are in accepted you because you were from the worlds most failed state! What does yours or your parents passports say in the place of birth section.

Garnaqsi   

Mustafe;759556 wrote:
Was the teacher a Brit of Somali descent, because otherwise it would seem that you just made this one up, lol?

I was thinking the same. It would indeed be an odd reaction otherwise.