Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Blondy

Somalitude: The Promotion of a Violent Culture and Mindset

I have been listening to lots of YouTube videos and reading lots of blogs lately and its shocking to see, just how many of 'our' people subscribe to the glamorisation of warlordism, piracy and violence, of Somalia, that is. It’s almost as if they're trying to create a new form of 'Negritude' but a Somalised version.

Unfortunately, however, the Negritude that exists today is nothing like the movement that inspired the Harlem Renaissance of the 1920-30s or the growth of Pan-Africanism in pre-independence Black Africa. Instead, It’s a sick and pervasive version that celebrates violence and social destruction. This new wave of 'Niggerisation', as it should be entitled, presents a sad state of affairs as far as Somalis and Negoes-worldwide are concerned. Its nihilism without face, it’s the reverse of norm and it celebrates negativity with conscious pride.

What has gone wrong, when a young Somali, without any connection back to the homeland is ‘reppin’ pirates and the violence the ravages ‘Somalia’. This endemic mindset should be offset with a positive response that promotes peace and development, in order to encourage a positive and active involvement. Somaliland youth, for instance, at the very least have a reference point that they can pinpoint with clarity. It appears this ‘Somalitude’ has regional dynamics to it. I suppose, when frustration, social decay and impunity to deference, the rule of law and social order are the order of the day, its no wonder that more Somalis turn to glorifying violence that distorts the collective merits of the Somali will.

What I advocating for here is merely to put a stop this insidious new form of Somalitude that celebrates violence,giving it purpose and justification. How will ‘Somalia’ ever achieve peace and harmony, if this destructive mindset envelops an entire generation that could potentially be the key to Somalia’s development? Similarly, we should seek to create a new form of somaliness that is inclusive.

see below for some example of these vids;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCmqzDnCp8&feature=player_embedded

I don't think YouTube videos or blogs are good indicators of the state Somalis are in- I think the unseen,unheard majority are hard-working people raising their families and sending billions back to Somalia.I think things are fine.

Nothing say's "Gangsta" quite like wearing a Warner Bro's chain and rapping in British English. Hardest Farah i've seen anywhere. When does the Album come out? :)

And what's with the left hand car in the video? I thought cars in the UK always drove on the right side...? So much fail in this video. C+ for effort though. :)

Nin-Yaaban;847353 wrote:
Nothing say's "Gangsta" quite like wearing a Warner Bro's chain and rapping in British English. Hardest Farah i've seen anywhere. When does the Album come out?
:)

Ninka,

there is nothing wrong with leeboi's claim to be 'gangsta' so spare 'us' the sarcasm. its a lifestyle choice and an identity the individual can construct based on their conception of what 'gangsta' is or ought to be. the term 'gangsta' is all encompassing and doesn't belong to a particular group including afro-american. the only somali 'gangsta's' i've seen with the exception of kay and maybe ilka-case from america barely speak english becos they've been in the states for a short period of time, having spent some time in an kenyan refugee camp listening to out-dated stuff like biggie and tupac. they also often wear very large white t's and trousers that are too big for them. they speak a lingo filled with expletive-ridden profanity and peppered with the 'gangsta-ism'. by the way, the WB stands for woolwich boys or should that be boyz, i may need to ask leeboi for further clarification.

Alpha Blondy;847356 wrote:
Ninka,

there is nothing wrong with leeboi claim to be 'gangsta' so spare 'us' the sarcasm. its a lifestyle choice and an identity the individual can construct based on their conception of what 'gangsta' maybe. the term 'gangsta' is all encompassing and doesn't belong to a particular group including afro-american. the only somali 'gangsta's' i've seen with the exception of kay and maybe ilka-case from america barely speak english becos they've been in the states for a short period of time, having spent some time in an kenyan refugee camp listening to out-dated stuff like biggie and tupac. they also often wear very large white t's and trousers that are too big for them. they speak a lingo filled with expletive-ridden profanity and peppered with the gangsta-ism. by the way, the WB stands for woolwich
boys
or should that be
boyz
, i may need to ask leeboi for further clarification.

Woolwich Boys eh? I thought they were reppin' for Looney Tunes. :) As far as the video production goes, this is by far one of the best. I gave him a thumps up on YT. So do you know him? This is the first time i've seen him.

Carafaat   

Somalitude :D

Faraxism :D

Alpha, you seem to understand these kids. Why are they angry. Its not like their ancestors are former slaves?

aero   

Alpha Blondy;847350 wrote:
^ do you not think that somalis qualify under the 'nigger' category?

Hell no. Where I've grew up, African Americans will surely knock a Somali to the pavement for even uttering the word. I've literally caused a riot in my deep dark past for calling an African American a mentally shackled porch monkey cotton picking nigger. Meh, least I was telling the truth.

aero;847655 wrote:
Hell no. Where I've grew up, African Americans will surely knock a Somali to the pavement for even uttering the word. I've literally caused a riot in my deep dark past for calling an African American
a mentally shackled porch monkey cotton picking nigger
. Meh, least I was telling the truth.

Only the monkey part is inaccurate :D

aero   

The-freeman;847754 wrote:
Only the monkey part is inaccurate
:D

Think of porch monkey as one word.

Porch monkey is a derogatory term for an African-American. It comes from the negative and unfair stereotype that these individuals sit on their porches all day doing nothing of value.

aero;847799 wrote:
Think of porch monkey as one word.

Porch monkey is a derogatory term for an African-American. It comes from the negative and unfair stereotype that these individuals sit on their porches all day doing nothing of value.

anyone who calls people 'porch monkey' is an idi0t, twice. Porch ape!!