Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

The Fashion Of Al Shabab...

NGONGE   

Current received wisdom states that Al Shabab have more or less been defeated and that the era of Islamic nutters in Somalia is no more. However, Al Shabab were not just a fighting force! They were/are a group that professes to have a certain (extreme) interpretation of the faith and therefore conduct their lives according to this interpretation.

Now, if (as many would argue) Al Shabab are a hated group, and if (as a result) most people would try to distance themselves from this group, how could one tell?

I can clearly and happily distance myself from communist terrorists. I can also do so with racist terrorists but how could you do it with Islamic ones? For instance, if I encounter my old friend A&T donning what looks like a typical Shabab uniform, should I assume he has joined that group or should I just think he finally worked out what the flickering illumination in the distance were?

How about those Mullahs I see on Somali TV? They dress like Al Shabab; they have big beards and Pakistani tops too! Are they or are they not?

Still, it is all about trends with Somalis, isn’t? I mean even Sheikh Sharif used to dress like that once upon a time. Maybe he’s a trend-setter, maybe that’s how all Mullahs will dress in the future. Maybe the colourful Jilbaabs, Pakistani tops and Arab scarves will give way to Armani suits soon!

I don’t really know what will happen but I’ve learnt that with Somalis one must spot the trends before they begin not when they’ve reached saturation point. This is how I noticed the third Somali net cafe to ever open in London back when such establishments were just starting. It’s also why I paid attention when the first tahreeb trips via North Africa were starting (not that I needed to use them of course).

So, today, I look at Al Shabab and wonder if their eventual defeat may herald a new trend in dressing and attitude for people that prefer to project an image of piety. What say you? Azhar dress sense (there is one on TV that dresses that way. But he’s an orphan in a sea of Pakistanis). :D

The Zack   

^The Aaali shiiiq suits, right? Don't bring ties, they don't wear them. It is also called the Irani suits. Does Ahmedinjad wear tie?

Showqi   

Last time Amiir Godane was spotted he was wearing Hijaab. So may be the next trend will be Al Shabaab wearing Hijaabs..:D

somalee   

Never seen an Al-shabaab member rocking a macawis. Importing 'Al-fajri' macawiis won't be bad. Not sure if they're still there, the macawiis.