Taleexi

Teatime in Mogadishu: My Journey as a Peace

Taleexi   

Ambassador in the World of Islam,

by Ahmed Ali Haile,

as told to David W. Shenk.

Harrisonburg, Virginia:

Herald Press, 2011.

When Ahmed Ali Haile, an avowed Somali Christian and the author of Teatime in Mogadishu, died of cancer in April 26, 2011, Somali commentators from all walks of life eviscerated him as an apostate who had been a disappointment to his community. The Somali Christians, some missionaries, and a small number of Somali intellectuals described his death as a loss of a brother, a mentor, and a peacemaker. As a member of ‘Somali Intellectual Forum’, I was amazed by how some Somali educated elite reacted. Some were genuinely saddened by Haile’s passing and, in fact, prayed for him by using the phrase Muslims say when someone dies; “May Allah have mercy on his soul [so and so].” One imam, who is also a U.S-trained attorney in Minneapolis, told the group that they could not pray for Haile because he was not Muslim. The reaction from some of the members of the forum was swift, and the imam was accused of nearsightedness, fanaticism, and haughtiness. Perhaps two or three individuals came to the imam’s defense, who was merely trying to clarify the Islamic position on praying for a non-Muslim. It was normal for Haile to provoke such a visceral reaction, even after his death.

http://wardheernews.com/Articles_11/August/Abukar/18_Teatime_in_Mogadishu.html

Interesting read,

Does being a Somali Christain or an atheist means bashing Muslims and Islam? The deceased man it seems tried his best to honor his heritage and practise his new faith.

Garnaqsi   
Interesting. I don't think I like the part where he's said to have offered starving refugees money in turn for them to become Christians.