Somalia: President’s Speech at Puntland Election Commission Ceremony

Somalia: President’s Speech at Puntland Election Commission Ceremony

21 Jul 21, 2011 - 9:59:47 AM

pland_logo.jpg

PRESIDENTIAL SPEECH

July 17, 2011

Garowe

Puntland State of Somalia

A special ceremony marking the swearing-in of members of the Puntland Election Commission (PEC) was held at the Puntland State University campus in the Puntland capital of Garowe on Sunday, 17 July 2011.

The event was attended by the President of Puntland State of Somalia, H.E. Abdirahman Mohamed Mohamud (Farole), Vice President H.E. Abdisamad Ali Shire, Speaker of Parliament, H.E. Abdirashid Mohamed Hersi, among Cabinet ministers, Puntland parliamentarians, High Court judges, traditional elders (Issimo), religious scholars, business community, and civil society of Puntland.

President Farole’s 22-minute speech covered a range of topics, including the ongoing democratization process in Puntland and the role of PEC, the history of democratization in Puntland, the security situation and pardon for insurgents, insecurity in Mogadishu and south-central Somalia, the drought and the refugee exodus, and the expected Somalia National Consultation Conference.

Democratization Process

“It is a great honor for me to speak at the event of swearing-in for members of the Puntland Election Commission…No legitimate election has taken place in Somalia since 1969, because 21 years of anarchy (1990-to-present) was preceded by 21 years of dictatorship (1969-to-1990),” President Farole said.

Continuing, he said: “Today, we have an election commission consisting of members who are knowledgeable, experienced and dutiful and who shall advance Puntland towards democratic equality, whereby each person can vote for his candidate directly.”

Puntland’s leader explained that a system of election has been in place in Puntland since 1998, but that election process was “based on districts and clan representation using Somali cultural norms.”

“It was one of my election promises [in 2008] to introduce multi-party political system in Puntland and my gratitude to Allah that today we are one step closer to that goal after appointing PEC,” the President said.

History of democratization in Puntland

The 1998 Provisional State Constitution, which constitutionally established Puntland as a federal state within a future federal structure for Somalia, mandated the incoming interim government (1998 – 2001) with major tasks, including conducting a population census, carrying out a public referendum on the constitution, and preparing the state for multi-party elections.

“We all acknowledge that three years is not enough, especially since everything was at the beginning [in 1998],” President Farole said, adding: “We all know there was a political dispute in 2001 but due to our people’s political maturity, a peace agreement was later signed.”

A new provisional constitution was introduced in 2001, which expired in 2004, when new parliamentarians were elected, leading up to elections for president on 8 January 2005.

“The former administration [of President H.E. Mohamud Muse Hersi, 2005-2009] began the constitution review process and a revised constitution which mandated five-year terms for President and Parliament was passed by the Council of Ministers in 2008, awaiting parliamentary ratification,” the President added.

However, before the Puntland Parliament could ratify the revised constitution, the 2009 presidential election took place.

“Upon coming to office, my administration reviewed the revised constitution before it was passed by the Parliament on 15 June 2009,” President Farole stated.

He explained that the next step was to prepare the Electoral Commission Law, which was passed during Parliament’s 2010 session.

“It is an honor for us today that the Puntland Election Commission comes into being during a historic month for Somalia,” the President said, whilst referring to Somali Independence Day, July 1.

The President indicated that, due to financial and resource limitations, a public referendum of the Puntland Constitution is difficult. Instead, he proposed holding “large conferences of stakeholders, including District Councils and civil society, who can approve the new constitution.”

Continuing, he said: “The second duty of PEC shall be to start implementation of the multi-party political system following elections for District Councils. The three largest political parties who gain District Council seats shall be the only legitimate political parties allowed in Puntland State of Somalia.”

Finally, speaking directly to the PEC members, he said: “You [PEC] shall be independent for your duties and all the Puntland institutions and agencies are willing and ready to work with PEC.”

He rejected claims that Islam does not allow elections, saying: “Elections are held in countries with dominant Muslim populations…look at Turkey, look at Iran.”

The President called on the Puntland people to work with PEC, in order to overcome challenges of misrepresentation, particularly for women.

Calling for Somali unity

“We know about the devastating situation in south-central Somalia…We pray to Allah to bring prosperity and to defeat the enemies of Somalia,” said the President of Puntland.

He appealed to the Somali public, calling for unity: “I urge the Somali people to uphold their unity, to endorse and support good actions and to unite against bad people and anarchists.”

President Farole expressed regret that “those who control much of south-central Somalia do not allow people the freedom to live or for political expression.”

Continuing, he said: “Troops from Uganda and Burundi will not liberate you [somalis] and only you [somalis] can liberate Somalia.”

He noted: “The anarchy in Somalia happened because of Somali disunity, and only Somali unity can restore order and dignity in Somalia.”

The President of Puntland appealed to all Somalis to “not keep enmity in your hearts” due to years of civil war, disease and displacement, adding: “I know the people of Puntland do not remember sad memories and they only look towards the future. Today, Puntland is home to all Somalis, who live and work here in peace.”

TFG and Somali Conference

He spoke briefly about the Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and the process that brought to power the new Prime Minister H.E. Abdiweli Mohamed Ali (Gas).

“As the TFG mandate was nearing expiration, we called for a Somali-wide conference to be held inside Somalia in a proposal dated 30 January 2011, so that Somalis can discuss the future and the security situation,” President Farole said.

“Our idea was to convene a Somali conference whereby Somalis can discuss among themselves and the outcome would be a Somali-owned decision,” he said.

However, the President said that Puntland’s call to host a Somali national conference “did not happen” and instead a “one-year extension” was endorsed for TFG and its parliament, under the terms of the “Kampala Accord.”

The President noted that the TFG “controls little territory and it is impossible to hold a conference in that small space.”

Continuing, he added: “Mogadishu is not the Mogadishu of before [i.e. pre-1990] when all Somalis lived in Mogadishu. Today, foreign soldiers protect government institutions in Mogadishu.”

Drought appeal

President Farole said that recurrent drought has devastated the economy and livelihood of Somalia.

“In 2010, the rains did not come during the expected rainy season in Puntland…this led to a terrible drought whereby pastoralist communities lost much livestock and some even became victims of poverty and fled to nearby towns,” the President said.

“Our government did everything it could do to help drought victims, but it is important that the people help each other. Those who have resources should help others who are less fortunate,” President Farole said.

He called on the religious leaders and business community in Puntland to “immediately organize fund-raising for drought victims in south-central Somalia, who are our brothers, who are suffering and who are fleeing to refugee camps in neighboring countries. We must all help them.”

Pardon for insurgents

“I call upon the people of Puntland to work towards peace, security and development. I call for peace among the warring clans,” the President added.

He urged “all groups” to accept dialogue and compromise, saying: “If your plan was to take to power through violence, this will never work. You will never get power by killing people but you can take power through paper [through voting].”

Continuing, he said: “The Puntland Government won the war against insurgents in the Golis Mountains in 2010 because our fight is just and right.”

President Farole added: “To anyone who is afraid of us if he surrenders, I hereby pledge your safety if you surrender. You will not be pardoned if you are a wanted terrorist or killer or you are not from Puntland. For everyone else, I extend a presidential pardon so you can free yourselves from the terrorist enemy who misled you and you can rejoin your community in Puntland.”

The PEC swearing-in ceremony featured other speeches by the new chairman of PEC, Mr. Mohamed Hassan Barre. The event concluded well as the nine members of PEC – eight men and one woman representing Puntland’s eight regions – were sworn in as PEC members.

---

Communications Office

The Puntland Presidency

Puntland State of Somalia

E-mail: info@puntland-gov.net

Web: www.puntland-gov.net

President Faroole said on the Democratization of Puntland

“It is a great honor for me to speak at the event of swearing-in for members of the Puntland Election Commission…No legitimate election has taken place in Somalia since 1969, because 21 years of anarchy (1990-to-present) was preceded by 21 years of dictatorship (1969-to-1990),” President Farole said.

“Today, we have an election commission consisting of members who are knowledgeable, experienced and dutiful and who shall advance Puntland towards democratic equality, whereby each person can vote for his candidate directly.”

“It was one of my election promises [in 2008] to introduce multi-party political system in Puntland and my gratitude to Allah that today we are one step closer to that goal after appointing PEC,” the President said.

The President said on the Puntland Election Commisions forthcoming duty and the revised Constitution

“Upon coming to office, my administration reviewed the revised constitution before it was passed by the Parliament on 15 June 2009,” President Farole stated.

“The second duty of PEC shall be to start implementation of the multi-party political system following elections for District Councils. The three largest political parties who gain District Council seats shall be the only legitimate political parties allowed in Puntland State of Somalia.”

Furthermore the President called for Somali Unity and Solidarity with the Somalis in South Central who are engulfed in famine and war

“We know about the devastating situation in south-central Somalia…We pray to Allah to bring prosperity and to defeat the enemies of Somalia,” said the President of Puntland.

“I urge the Somali people to uphold their unity, to endorse and support good actions and to unite against bad people and anarchists.”

“Troops from Uganda and Burundi will not liberate you [somalis] and only you [somalis] can liberate Somalia.”

On the TFG and the proposed Somali Conference the President had to say this:

“As the TFG mandate was nearing expiration, we called for a Somali-wide conference to be held inside Somalia in a proposal dated 30 January 2011, so that Somalis can discuss the future and the security situation,” President Farole said.

“Our idea was to convene a Somali conference whereby Somalis can discuss among themselves and the outcome would be a Somali-owned decision,” he said.

Thankful   

The former administration [of President H.E. Mohamud Muse Hersi, 2005-2009] began the constitution review process and a revised constitution which
mandated five-year terms for President
and Parliament was passed by the Council of Ministers in 2008, awaiting parliamentary ratification,” the President added.

Excuse me? It's suppose to be a 4 year term.

Typo?

Furthermore adding:

The President noted that the TFG “controls little territory and it is impossible to hold a conference in that small space.”

and

Continuing, he added: “Mogadishu is not the Mogadishu of before [i.e. pre-1990] when all Somalis lived in Mogadishu. Today, foreign soldiers protect government institutions in Mogadishu.”

The Drought Appeal for the famine and warfare inflicted brothers in South-Central Somalia

“In 2010, the rains did not come during the expected rainy season in Puntland…this led to a terrible drought whereby pastoralist communities lost much livestock and some even became victims of poverty and fled to nearby towns,” the President said.

“Our government did everything it could do to help drought victims, but it is important that the people help each other. Those who have resources should help others who are less fortunate,” President Farole said.

He called on the religious leaders and business community in Puntland to “immediately organize fund-raising for drought victims in south-central Somalia, who are our brothers, who are suffering and who are fleeing to refugee camps in neighboring countries. We must all help them.”

Last but not least:Pardon for insurgents

“I call upon the people of Puntland to work towards peace, security and development. I call for peace among the warring clans,” the President added.

He urged “all groups” to accept dialogue and compromise, saying: “If your plan was to take to power through violence, this will never work. You will never get power by killing people but you can take power through paper [through voting].”

Continuing, he said: “The Puntland Government won the war against insurgents in the Golis Mountains in 2010 because our fight is just and right.”

The President finished with:

President Farole added: “To anyone who is afraid of us if he surrenders, I hereby pledge your safety if you surrender. You will not be pardoned if you are a wanted terrorist or killer or you are not from Puntland. For everyone else, I extend a presidential pardon so you can free yourselves from the terrorist enemy who misled you and you can rejoin your community in Puntland.”

Timur   

Beautiful speech, I'm in awe of what I read. The future looks like a beam of light, I never thought any Somali leader could speak so beautifully.

This guy Oodweyn needs to get a life - he eats, sleeps and breathes Puntland, I hope he doesn't name his son Garowe.