Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

UN declares Somalia famine in Bakool and Lower Shabelle

_54152175_012485821-1.jpg

An estimated 10 million people have been affected by the drought in east Africa

The United Nations has declared a famine in two areas of southern Somalia as the region suffers the worst drought in more than half a century.

The UN said the humanitarian situation in southern Bakool and Lower Shabelle had deteriorated rapidly.

It is the first time that the country has seen famine in 19 years.

Meanwhile, the UN and US have said aid agencies need further safety guarantees from armed groups in Somalia to allow staff to reach those in need.

Al-Shabab, an al-Qaeda-affiliated group which controls large swathes of south and central Somalia, had imposed a ban on foreign aid agencies in its territories in 2009, but has recently allowed limited access.

Read

^^^nonsense adeer, you support Al Shabaab right, and yet you want to ignore their role in this catastrophe? Give us a break. They killed maimed and now Somali's are fleeing in their thousands to the UN/TFG/AMISOM held areas, camps fleeing your fake religious nonsense.

All the while you are still in Boston choosing which type of Coffee to have with your lunch.

^^^Adeer I have been helping my people all the while you were supporting Al Shabaab, thus dont get it confused and there is no argument here.

Bakool & Lower Shabeele have been contolled by Al Shabaab the past 4 years. Thus who is to blame? Puntland maybe, Ethiopia, or the CIA.

^^^Yeah its time to lay the blame at the door of the ****** who helped cause this catastrophe. However you are still in denail adeer. There needs to be more done by the Diaspora but the first key is to treat the desease itself and not just the symptomps.

Al Shabaab are an evil bunch.

Very rarely am I left with such a horrible lingering pain in my gut, a complete sense of hopelessness. But this famine and the innocent lives that will be lost is most distressing. This shows Somalia as its stands today, a country in name only, a space filled with pirates, religious lunatics and starving children. Somalia does indeed stand alone. If somaliaonline is anything to go by then the future of Somalis is indeed very bleak. :( we just cant catch a break can we.