Sign in to follow this  
Taleexi

To get out of the current impasse, dump the dummies

Taleexi   

By Ismail Ali Ismail

June 11, 2011

It cannot be gainsaid that the current deadlock in Somali politics is, like all the crises before it, a manifestation of asinine behavior – a complete lack of reason and logic. The primary actors – or primary wreckers – are unwittingly destroying their own personal interests by destroying the overarching national interest. I have said before – and I think it is worth repeating – that no one can advance his or her own interest by destroying the common one. We need not go to examples illustrating this point for I have furnished them amply before.

The creators of the current crisis, as well as the previous ones we have seen before, are the two 'shariefs': Sheikh Sharief Sheikh Ahmed (the President) and Sharief Hassan Sheikh Adan (the Speaker). Sheikh Adan Madoobe also created his own deplorable crises when he became Speaker of Parliament after Sharief Hassan’s escape to Asmara. Add to the list Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys and all those others of his ilk who are killing Moslems to reach worldly power in the name of Islam - a religion of peace and mercy they have turned on its head. I am beginning to lose faith in ‘sheikhs’ and ‘shariefs’ as politicians and as leaders. Goering is known to have said, ‘whenever I hear the word intellectual I reach for my gun’. Perhaps we too should reach for our guns when we hear the advent of a political ‘sharief’ or ‘sheikh’.

Read more

You guys must be joking. Another impotent piece by one more member of the 'Cafe Calaacal' group within the greater Washington area.

I wonder where the current Friday (Virginia/DC) meeting place for this group is?!

20 years later and they still reminisce about the good old days of Siyad Barre when other Somalis knew their place ;)