Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Are Somalis still figuring out politics?

When Somalis tell you how they'd like Somalia and Somalis to be the speak about 'when Somalia had a strong powerful government'. When there was law and order, economic development and education etc. Militarily we were also at our peak. So, having experienced twenty years of anarchy, [some] Somalis reflect on that era as 'our golden era'.

But my question is, have we dropped our expectations and ambitions due to twenty years of chaos and does the, relative, 'golden era' leave much to be desired. After all, we were another developing country dependent on [more] 'powerful' countries in terms of development aid, military aid etc. Or is the point the direction to which we were headed i.e. [greater] self-sufficiency and capabilities.

In all our history, is the 69-91 era the best that we could produce [relative to our past achievements going back into history (our past kingdoms, sultanates, 'states' etc] and our recent failres. Or is that the predominant view because of the forms of government popular in the world today and that as such, due to anarchy [not long] after independence we have (a) much catching up to do and (b) the relative stable, centralised and effective government of 91-96 is the best that we have known.

The reason why this is important is because peoples ideas about what is best and/or what will work best, shape their actions and objectives in terms of what they are trying to achieve. You have to understand and agree on what it is you want to achieve as well as having a plan of how to achieve it and how to overcome obstacles in order to actually do so.

It seems to me that Somalis have not coped well with 'politics'. I'd say that overall we are and have very bad politicians and we have simply not coped with or understood either the forms of governance promoted and prominent in the world today or the idea of a 'State'. On one level I think [to myself] we simply cannot agree on or do not know what kind of political structure would be best for our society. On another level I think [to myself] that we would, if let be, be able to work through our differences but (1) we do not live in a vacuum/abstract world and (2) we have not been able to cope/deal with foreign actors and interference the way other countries have.

Even today if you ask a Somali what they think the best type of political structure is, they will give you difference answers. A representative democracy, a hybrid Islamic state and democracy, an Islamic State, an Islamic republic, a federation, a unitary state, Somaliweyn etc. This is itself is not suprising or abnormal; after all, disagreement and differing opinion is only natural. However, people, in order to form a country need some sort of consensus i.e. something on which the agree and share; this then forms the cornerstone or building block of whatever they choose to build.

So are thje problems facing the Somalis that:

1) We not know what we are aiming to achieve?

2) We do cimply do not grasp 'politics' and are thus bad politicians?

3) We do not agree on what form of governance to have since the last government failed?

4) We have been unable to cope with outside interaction and interference [though we have, arguably, done so in the past if you go back in history]?

5) We have no strong and stable consensus on which to build?

What are your thoughts?

However, people, in order to form a country need some sort of consensus i.e. something on which the agree and share; this then forms the cornerstone or building block of whatever they choose to build.

Something that I have recently observed, and perhaps it may have been obvious to some, is that most powerful countries, and this is open to debate, have their own 'way', 'view', 'ideals'. Though these are difficult to definde, obvious examples may include liberal democratic ideals in the west or [what I call] the chinise pride and nationalism.

Another question this thought raises is, do Somalis have a set of Ideals ? If this is Islam then is it becuase Somalis do not abide by it correctly ? Is it a coincidence that the more successful countries in the world have a set of ideals which they strictly adhere to and seek to propogate?

Taleexi   

Good points you raised yaa Oday. I'm afraid to say that we are not there yet where we can have a consensus of anything. Hope time proves me wrong.

Mistrust is the biggest obstacle to Nation hood for the people of Somalia ever since the warlords took control of Mogadisho not a single leader will be trusted by his people.